Gold Cup 2023

5 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I think the man has earned a spot on every provisional roster after giving up his WC spot. That doesnt mean he deserves to make the final squad but if we only name 53 out of 60 spots, we may as well include Herny as a thank you for what hes done for the program. 

Fair enough. I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this

5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Fair enough. I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this

My blurb isnt my opinion on Henry. Its the explanation I see for Herdman including him. I cant see any other reason as to why he would be on the list other than as a thank you from herdman. 

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I just started trying to recruit people to come to the game at BMO field, so I looked up the game on ticketmaster to see the prices. The prices are high, but I gotta say it's still discouraging that there are so many available tickets still. So much for a World Cup bump. I'm sure it doesn't help that searching for the Canadian national team on ticketmaster doesn't give you this game as a match to your search. The game is still listed as "CONCACAF Gold Cup Group D". The opponent won't be known until 1 week before the game, at which point I guess Ticketmaster would mention that Canada is playing in this game.

image.png.67a619ad95e8196e5a6982dbc3c30fab.png

im expecting a significant discount code to go out about a week before the match. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

My blurb isnt my opinion on Henry. Its the explanation I see for Herdman including him. I cant see any other reason as to why he would be on the list other than as a thank you from herdman. 

Understood. I'd love an explanation from Herdman, as I think there are far more meaningful emblematic calls (if that's his approach) that he's ignoring. It looks like Henry's just been waived without making an appearance

Just now, Aird25 said:

Understood. I'd love an explanation from Herdman, as I think there are far more meaningful emblematic calls (if that's his approach) that he's ignoring. It looks like Henry's just been waived without making an appearance

Me too. I think he wont though because that would undermine Henry publicly.  

What emblematic calls are you talking about besides hutch and henry? 

6 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Me too. I think he wont though because that would undermine Henry publicly.  

What emblematic calls are you talking about besides hutch and henry? 

I didn't have anyone in mind, but I guess an active CPL player like Sean Young, or a promising young dual national like Batrev, Sigur, or Abzi

16 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I didn't have anyone in mind, but I guess an active CPL player like Sean Young, or a promising young dual national like Batrev, Sigur, or Abzi

I dont think that any of those guys have earned a emblematic spot on the roster. None of them have ever contributed anything to the national team. 

If you're talking about merit, potential or dual recruitment then I see your point but then the debate isnt about if sigur or henry deserves the emblematic spot more. Rather the debate is, "Should the roster spot be given to an emblematic player or a promising dual/high potential player etc."

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Josh is a good guy, I liked it when he worked for himself, but you don't expect these guys working for clicks for One Soccer to check the facts, cite sources or be precise now do you?

I love all the newer canada soccer journalists and I hate criticizing them because you know they're doing this out of the love of the sport (and doing more to grow the game in canada than I am, that's for sure), but they make these kinds of mistakes sometimes and it hurts the credibility. I remember JJD was the first one I saw break the Johnston to Celtic rumour and that the time I had just written it off completely until I started seeing other sources corroborate it. These guys have good info, I just wish they hit the google translate before sharing stuff from foreign sources.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Costa Rica's squad for the GC. Their fans despise their coach and everyone is expecting an implosion so that should be fun to watch at least.

They’re missing Ugalde (Twente) who has beef with the federation and fans are not happy he’s still out lol

2 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

They’re missing Ugalde (Twente) who has beef with the federation and fans are not happy he’s still out lol

Yeah how the federation is still backing a coach who doesn't give a fuck about them instead of their best prospect is amazing.

Also fun fact Luis Fernando Suarez was the coach when Honduras boomed us in 2012.

39 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The complex relationship that fans have with Canada Soccer is best exemplified by the fact that we all demand more dual nationals, but get upset when rosters are released late because Herdman is pushing for duals to commit to us until the last second. 

The Duality of Man.

20 hours ago, VinceA said:

Costa Rica's squad for the GC. Their fans despise their coach and everyone is expecting an implosion so that should be fun to watch at least.

I’m surprised they’re not using this as an opportunity to rotate in fresh blood to get ready for Nations League/World Cup Qualifying. They ditched a good bit of the old guard, but there’s still Navas (36), Waston (35), Duarte (34), Borges (35).

No Jewison Bennette hurts them. Ditto Leal (still hurt?). I expected to see Matarrita on the roster, but apparently he’s in the Ukranian Premier League now. Seems fair considering how well that Cincinnati defence played when he was there.

Edited by footballfreak

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

The complex relationship that fans have with Canada Soccer is best exemplified by the fact that we all demand more dual nationals, but get upset when rosters are released late because Herdman is pushing for duals to commit to us until the last second. 

The Gold Cup rosters are finalized with CONCACAF and were not able to change since last night at 11:30 PM. There is no last minute pushing for duals, the deadline has already passed (For Nations League).