Gold Cup 2023

18 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Based on performance levels of 2019 I think only Arfield and paton would be good enough to make our 2023 list. 
Jebbison and flores would obv make it on potential and as duals. 

Thats a massive jump in quality. 

I was thinking only Pasher might have deserved a call then remembered he was no longer in MLS. Really, as you say, there is little to argue with there. I think some of that previous group could have good enough seasons to raise their level, but none is a clear omission and then, Pantemis, that is a case of depth chart nothing more.

This year's tournament regulations can be found here:

https://www.concacaf.com/en/gold-cup/regulations/
https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/0tipd2wz/2023-concacaf-gold-cup-regulations-eng.pdf

The link says February 24th, but they only uploaded the document in the last two weeks, before that it was the link to the 2021 document; it looks like someone at CONCACAF forgot to upload the new 2023 PDF to the website! :D

On 4/20/2023 at 4:29 PM, trc2014 said:

Does anyone remember how Tesho was added to the squad for the quarters at the 2021 GC?  Trying to determine if A squad players can be added late, but I think he was able to join because of the Akinola injury.

Similar to the previous edition, and unlike some editions in years(decades) past, changes to the squad can only be made in the event of a serious injury that requires the withdrawal of a player for a medical reason. The replacement window is only between the end of the Group Stage and 24 hours before the ¼final match.

-----

According to the rules document, the "Prelims" are counted as part of "The Competition", which means:

The (up to) 60-man preliminary squad was due May 17th (If I have made a mistake and the "Prelims" are not counted, that preliminary squad would be due today, May 25th).

The final 23-man squad is due Tuesday, June 6th (If I have made a mistake and the "Prelims" are not counted, that final squad would be due Wednesday, June 14th)

I just started trying to recruit people to come to the game at BMO field, so I looked up the game on ticketmaster to see the prices. The prices are high, but I gotta say it's still discouraging that there are so many available tickets still. So much for a World Cup bump. I'm sure it doesn't help that searching for the Canadian national team on ticketmaster doesn't give you this game as a match to your search. The game is still listed as "CONCACAF Gold Cup Group D". The opponent won't be known until 1 week before the game, at which point I guess Ticketmaster would mention that Canada is playing in this game.

image.png.67a619ad95e8196e5a6982dbc3c30fab.png

Very nice to see Jebbison. Long shot to see him play for us, but would be crazy if he ends the U20 World Cup and like a week and a half later he’s wearing a new country’s jersey.

Would like to see Tom McGill get a shot too.

i wonder why Morris was on the NL roster but McGraw was only selected for gold cup. Are we finding out about these guys in real time? 

14 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Nice to see a bunch of Canadians in the CPL are on the list, like Atletico's Malcolm Shaw for Trinidad and Vancouver FC's Marcus Simmons for Guyana.

A bunch of former CPL guys on Canada's roster too.

No intended offence, but how does Doneil keep making these rosters?

13 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It is the same rule as the World Cup. But you have to play I believe.

I think you might be right. I think the difference is that if you hit the pitch at all in either of those competitions, you're officially cap tied regardless of age. I think Mitrovic can still switch over to us because he hasn't played 3 games for Serbia yet, nor in the euros or world cup, whereas if Koleosho or Morris (or McGraw now!) see a second of action at the GC, they're stuck with us forever.

10 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Surprised Batyrev didn't get into the prelim roster. He's getting sub minutes in Russia this past month

I don't think Canada will call up anyone playing in Russia as long as they're at war. If we cancelled a whole friendly with Iran because they shot down a plane with many Ukranian-Canadians, I have a hard time believing they'll bring in a player earning his salary in Russia. 

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

A bunch of former CPL guys on Canada's roster too.

No intended offence, but how does Doneil keep making these rosters?

I think the man has earned a spot on every provisional roster after giving up his WC spot. That doesnt mean he deserves to make the final squad but if we only name 53 out of 60 spots, we may as well include Herny as a thank you for what hes done for the program.