Gold Cup 2023

1 hour ago, EJsens1 said:

Double header on the 27th at BMO 

image.png.248c69decbc280a813620eaf02ace302.png

I was all locked and loaded to complain about CONCACAF not running the last group stage games simultaneously until I realized they listed times locally. So now I’ll just complain about that instead. Baffling decision. Just pick one unified time zone ya dinguses. 

Takeaways from the schedule:

• Group stage is fine. Avoids having the Guatemala game as the third match, which would likely not allow us to rotate. 
  • No travel between matches 2 and 3 is a bonus
  • The QF will be against a team on two days more rest than us, which is pretty sucky. All the more reason to make sure they take 6 points from the first two games.

*The venue for each semifinal matchup will be confirmed at the conclusion of the Group Stage (Snapdragon Stadium in San Diego CA, and Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, NV, will each host one Semifinal on July 12).

• CONCACAF doing CONCACAF things. Either way, at least any potential semi-final would be against another team traveling from Cincinnati to the West coast. 

@Pottsy3 , @mrstepp817  disaster aside, it will be Harambe time! 🦍

Dance Dancing GIF by AFV Pets

1 hour ago, Tyson M said:

Atleast the QF is drivable for me! Cincinnati bus trip with a stop to pickup some of us London folks on July 9?!

If there is a bus, I may interested.

I'd even be interested in roadtripping this from Ottawa if I have at least two other drivers with me.

32 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@Pottsy3 , @mrstepp817  disaster aside, it will be Harambe time! 🦍

Dance Dancing GIF by AFV Pets

If there is a bus, I may interested.

I'd even be interested in roadtripping this from Ottawa if I have at least two other drivers with me.

Yeah I'm thinking road trip to Cincinnati...

2 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

We get one game at home against a shit-tier too...  

Hopefully an 11-0 thrashing.

All four are way beyond the Cayman Islands.  I suspect a similar scoreline to the last few times we played Cuba (6-0 and 7-0) although I think T&T may be able to hold us to something like 4-0.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:50 PM, devioustrevor said:

Are we still limited to buying two tickets in the supporters section?

1) No.

2) These games will be different because CONCACAF will he the organizers, not Canada Soccer.

----

@Admin & @JamboAl are undoubtedly asking all the right questions regarding a supporters section both a BMO Field and possibly even a small section in Cincinnati.

(I have heard of no interest for Houston×2)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, footballfreak said:

• CONCACAF doing CONCACAF things. Either way, at least any potential semi-final would be against another team traveling from Cincinnati to the West coast. 

Clearly waiting to 100 percent confirm where Mexico will play.

So if all goes as expected we’ll play them at … Las Vegas!

If they somehow pooch the dog and come 2nd in group then we’d play whoever at Snapdragon. 

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) No.

2) These games will be different because CONCACAF will he the organizers, nit Canada Soccer.

----

@Admin & @JamboAl are undoubtedly asking all the right questions regarding a supporters section both a BMO Field and possibly even a small section in Cincinnati.

(I have heard of no interest for Houston×2)

Canada Soccer is concentrated on the Vs Cup this week so not right away.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

I remember Canada’s U20 team playing at BMO on July 1st  in the U20 World Cup in Canada in 2007. Can’t remember if we have ever had the mens’s full national team play at home on July 1st. 

The CSA website is too much of a hot mess for me to even think about trying to use their results database on mobile, but based on wikipedia, the men’s team has only played on Canada Day once in its entire history, and never in Canada:

Jul 2, Christchurch, Lancester Park, 7000 
New Zealand    1-2  Canada
 (Spencer [1-1] - Archibald 6', Turner ~85')

New Zealand: J McDougall, G Anderson, L McGirr, J Tinkler, C Steele, D Jones (c), R C Innes, E Newman, H Spencer, R Hislop, H Balk.

Canada: Tait, Crawley, Edmunds, Monaghan, Brolly, Moon, Gibson (c), Davidson, Archibald, Turner, Milligan.

Notes: M J Stout refereed the match. The lines-men were H Pogson (Canada) and W Smyth. After 30 hours of drizzle it cleared before the start of the match but the ground was waterlogged. Canada played in blue and white. Spencer's goal was scored in the second half.    

I tried to corroborate the date on the New Zealand results wiki page to make sure the game place July 2nd New Zealand time, but the Kiwi wiki lists the game as having taken place on July 5th. Every other source I could find says the match was played July 2nd.