Gold Cup 2023

We were the second best team tonight. I know I complain about VAR a lot, but honestly I feel worse about the loss due to the existence of VAR.

The first penalty shout (Laryea clipped) I am upset it wasn't looked at again. I would still be upset if there wasn't VAR, but less so because there is less excuse for getting it wrong.

The second penalty shout (handball negated by the push) I'm quite upset about. If it wasn't for VAR I would have filed it away as something I didn't even see live, and it was one of those "technicality" penalties, where I don't think there was really any benefit to the handball for USA, it would have just been a lucky lifeline for us if it was called. But with Zator getting called on a somewhat similar handball earlier in the tournament, it seems unfair. The push was the kind of foul that happens on every corner kick. After that play I was sure that USA would score on a corner kick and there would be 2 or 3 similar fouls on the play that would go uncalled.

The third penalty shout, that was actually called, made me very happy, but mostly because I was surprised they actually made a call against the money maker team, after all the non-calls earlier.

Edited by Kent
Corrected "shot" to "shout".

This may have been addressed already, but was the format for the knockout round (group a v group d, group b v group c) announced before the draw or after it?  Seems better to have had 1a v 2b and 1c v 2d and then the opposite on the other side.

12 minutes ago, RJB said:

This may have been addressed already, but was the format for the knockout round (group a v group d, group b v group c) announced before the draw or after it?  Seems better to have had 1a v 2b and 1c v 2d and then the opposite on the other side.

It was.

Always doctored to make a US v Mexico final

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The US appear to get away with yet another hand ball in the box in 2nd half injury time

It's so frustrating. The goal was probably offside by a fraction, but I don't know how that's not a hand ball. The odds are stacked against anyone playing against one of the 2 cash cows of the confederation. I haven't seen most of the game, so I don't know what it's been called like, but it could be that the same 3 strikes rule is applying for the USA as did against us. First penalty isn't a penalty. Second penalty isn't a penalty. OK, that's 3 penalties, we kind of have to give one here.