Gold Cup 2023

Was anything officially said about why Ugbo and Corbeanu arnt here? The addition of these two would have added a massive lift to the team. We are so thin at forward. 

With the top guys out, this should be their time to get elevated. This roster needs goal threats. 

I know their club situations are not secure but that doesnt explain their absence. We have called players with similar or worse club situations. This roster baffles me.

Edited by Joe Keeper

9 minutes ago, Joe Keeper said:

Was anything officially said about why Ugbo and Corbeanu arnt here? The addition of these two would have added a massive lift to the team. We are so thin at forward. 

With the top guys out, this should be their time to get elevated. This roster needs goal threats. 

I know their club situations are not secure but that doesnt explain their absence. We have called players with similar or worse club situations. This roster baffles me.

Herdman has not done any actual pressers where anyone could ask him about the roster.

7 minutes ago, Joe Keeper said:

Maybe they should be here, but would it really be a "massive" lift? Off the top of my head I think combined they have scored 1 goal for Canada.

I fact checked myself before sending, apparently Corbeanu has scored 2 goals. 1 against Bermuda, and 1 against Martinique.

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe they should be here, but would it really be a "massive" lift? Off the top of my head I think combined they have scored 1 goal for Canada.

I fact checked myself before sending, apparently Corbeanu has scored 2 goals. 1 against Bermuda, and 1 against Martinique.

And that may be more than they scored for their entire club seasons combined this entire year…

29 minutes ago, Kent said:

...vs Brym, Russel-Rowe and Schaffleburg backing up Cavallini? Yes.

Ugbo and Corbeanu are higher quality technically. Im glad to have those three players here, but Im really confused as to why Ugbo and Corbeanu arnt here. They should be there in addition to  those players unless they outrightly refused as others did. However, Herdman and the program were very excited they chose canada over other countries and we seem to have just abandoned Corbeanu. Ike has also been called for the majority of games including the World Cup. 

This is why I'm seeking an explanation. Our roster selection for this GC is infuriating. 

Absences like these should be questioned. Im troubled by the lack of coverage from the media too. It shows how superficial we still are as a football nation not to question basic but obvious things. 

If there is a reason, there is a reason. It deserves to be reported.

57 minutes ago, Joe Keeper said:

...vs Brym, Russel-Rowe and Schaffleburg backing up Cavallini? Yes.

Ugbo and Corbeanu are higher quality technically. Im glad to have those three players here, but Im really confused as to why Ugbo and Corbeanu arnt here. They should be there in addition to  those players unless they outrightly refused as others did. However, Herdman and the program were very excited they chose canada over other countries and we seem to have just abandoned Corbeanu. Ike has also been called for the majority of games including the World Cup. 

This is why I'm seeking an explanation. Our roster selection for this GC is infuriating. 

Absences like these should be questioned. Im troubled by the lack of coverage from the media too. It shows how superficial we still are as a football nation not to question basic but obvious things. 

If there is a reason, there is a reason. It deserves to be reported.

I do agree with pretty much all of that. We should have some explanation of call ups, and Ugbo and Corbeanu might be more deserving of calls than other guys without me actually looking deep into it. I just kind of doubt they would be massive upgrades.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I do agree with pretty much all of that. We should have some explanation of call ups, and Ugbo and Corbeanu might be more deserving of calls than other guys without me actually looking deep into it. I just kind of doubt they would be massive upgrades.

Fair enough. The nature of my original post was not meant to start a debate comparing Ugbo and Corbeanu head to head to those three or some others. I think we would be much stronger with Ike and Theo on the roster with those three. Imagine if Herdman had all 5 to choose from for starting lineups or subs.

I pictured that scenario and thats what got me wondering about absences when I saw the roster. All of these players except Russell-Rowe have been together in that kind of B team, up and comer category for so long so I wonder what is going on. Why some and not those two?

There are so many unanswered questions surrounding this roster to me. Im also questioning Herdmans approach lately. 

Plus, it frustrates me that OneSoccer (or any media) doesnt ask these questions seriously. We  can be so cut off from info unlike in most other football nations.  Its part of getting serious about the game. Like I say, obvious things are not considered by many in Canada too often. 

Vaguely remember watching this game against Guatemala back in 1988 which brought Canadian soccer back down to earth with a sickening thud after Mexico 86:

Won 3-2 at Swangard but out on away goals and no qualification for the final round robin qualification round meaning nothing much happening with the national team until the next qualification cycle. Hopefully Guatemala isn't going to pop the CMNT's bubble again 35 years on.

34 minutes ago, Addona said:

Can anyone give me a quick scouting report on Guatemala? How many of their players don’t play domestically? Any in Europe? MLS?

18 of their 23 players play domestically. 

1 gk plays in USL league 1

1 gk plays in norway

1 defender plays in brazil serie B

they have two American born players that play in MLS(one for mtl)that are probably their two best players. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala_national_football_team

EDIT. Rubio Rubin was capped 7 times by the USMNT. He was subbed off in the 11th minute. Huge loss for them if he is injured. 

Edited by king1010

4 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Unrelated, but i saw someone mention the next games won't be on Fubo... what's the deal with that?

The guide shows CPL games playing instead but I don’t see any actual CPL games at those times when I look up the schedule. Could just be an issue with the guide and the game will actually be on. Hopefully that’s the case anyways.

Since this is an experimental tournament, I would like to see an experimental lineup in 352 setup for next game.

Vitoria, Borjan, and Miller…should take a break and be reconsidered if we make it to the knockout rounds. 

———————St. Clair———————
——Bombito-McGraw-Kennedy———
Laryea—Ahmed——Loturi———Millar
—-—————Nelson————————
—————JRR——Cavallini——————

Subs:
Zator \\ Bombito
ZBG \\ Laryea
Shaffelburg \\ Millar

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Since this is an experimental tournament, I would like to see an experimental lineup in 352 setup for next game.

Vitoria, Borjan, and Miller…should take a break and be reconsidered if we make it to the knockout rounds. 

———————St. Clair———————
—-—————Nelson————————

Subs:
Zator \\ Bombito
ZBG \\ Laryea
Shaffelburg \\ Millar

Can Millar actually play Left wing at some point???

Just now, spitfire said:

Can Millar actually play Left wing at some point???

He did last night? Didn’t he?

I just feel like his confidence is lost in the final third - a lot of indecisiveness. At times when he should’ve been taking on a man, it was a quick good cross to no one. Or getting caught in between to minds, and getting jammed. 

His quality to be able to advance the ball forward, and make the pass before the final pass (hockey assist) is why I put him there. And maybe why his Basel coach played him there as well.

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

———————St. Clair———————
—-—————Nelson————————

Subs:
Zator \\ Bombito
ZBG \\ Laryea
Shaffelburg \\ Millar

Where is Hoilett?

10 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

Corbeanu effectively hasn’t played meaningful soccer since last fall and Ugbo has barely played more than that himself. I think watching the game last night you can see spots where either could’ve helped us- bring on Ugbo over JRR might‘ve been a good move, but it isn’t like either are in good form right now.

also, Ugbo looks like he’s currently on vacation in LA with Tomori. Not speculating at all, but I dunno if “come to the gold cup and be Lucas Cavallini’s backup” is an enticing prospect for him to cancel his vacation. 

48 minutes ago, Shway said:

On the bench…
I expect nothing from this tournament reason why I said “experimental tournament” and “experimental lineup”.

Would be an experimental lineup indeed. I also want to see new blood, but we should still field a competitive team.

We may do better against Guatemala, but judging by yesterday's game, we will need more firepower to get the job done.

I'm willing to give McGraw another chance in a back four playing in his more natural central role, but I am concerned he'll get burnt regardless. 

Just now, DeRo_Is_King said:

We may do better against Guatemala, but judging by yesterday's game, we will need more firepower to get the job done.

That's the the main issue, there isn't much firepower at all in this squad. 
This is the form of the starters of last night. 

Cavallini - 2 goals this year, last goal was Mar 18th
JRR -  2 goals this season, last got May 14th
Hoilett - 1 goal this season, scored on August 17th, 22
Millar - 1 goal this season, score on July 28th, 22

As much as we talk about a CB crisis....we have an attacking one too.