Gold Cup 2023

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am fine with it.

Replacements can only be made to the 23 man squad due to a medical reason.

They had to show medical proof that Eustáquio and Adekugbe have something that prevents them from playing.

No matter how slight, that is always a reason for concern.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

23 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Herdman will want a win. Not sure how much experimenting he will do.Think he starts with the experience first.  Maybe something like this 

—————Millar———Cavalinni———

———————-Hoilett——————-

Laryea——-Loturi——Osorio——ZBG

——-Kennedy——Vitoria——-Zator——

————————Borjan——————

*Subs*
-Wotherspoon for Hoilett 

-McGraw for Vitoria 

-Miller for Kennedy 

-JRR/Brym for Cavalinni 

-Shaffelburg for Millar 

I would like to see more new faces rather than marching out Hoilett, Vitoria and Borjan. Channeling my inner Herdman. 

Tear me apart lads 

I think bombito is much more likely than zator to start. I also think herdman views millar as more of a wingback than a striker based on the lack of LWB/LB in the squad (with winger his number 1 position). 

9 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I think bombito is much more likely than zator to start. I also think herdman views millar as more of a wingback than a striker based on the lack of LWB/LB in the squad (with winger his number 1 position). 

I mean, it wouldn't shock me if that's the direction Herdman went, but why do you think a player with 6 pro starts is likely to start out of position over a much more experienced player in their natural position?

12 hours ago, phresh said:

You can see Hoilett at around 0:57. Bombito, Miller, ZBG and Loturi are all on the vid. I also see Deuce Michel’s training with the team. Who’s the guy behind him at 1:16, with the blue boots?

Dont want this to get overlooked, that is DMM right? I posted some pics in his thread but wasnt 100% sure. That would be pretty exciting, would show how rated he must be to be in the camp. Can anybody train with the squad if invited (but outside the official 23 man roster)?

On topic/off topic story: Had a layover in Calgary on Friday on the way to Vancouver and someone familiar sat across from me as I was waiting in the lounge. I was searching my brain: "Do I know this guy from work? School? Mutual friends? He seems so familiar". Then I realized, hey -- that's Scott Kennedy! Then Dominick Zator and Victor Loturi sat down beside him.

I didn't say anything to them and couldn't help overhear them talking a little bit as they were so close. Then a young German couple come over to Zator with their phone excitedly. The man said to him "Are you.... are you from Canada!?" and I thought to myself wow, this random German tourist recognizes him! Zator replied yeah and the German guy said "Can we... can we use your phone to make a call?" Not sure if Zator thought he was going to ask for a photo, but in any case he allowed them to use his phone despite his flight boarding soon. The call went longer than expected, apparently this German couple was looking to rent a motorhome in Yellowknife (or maybe it was Whitehorse, anyway whatever floats your boat). Zator was gracious about it, though he was slightly nervous about the long distance.

Anyway, I was planning on saying "Good luck against Guadeloupe" when I went to board my flight, but they left their spots when I went to the bathroom so I didn't have a chance. Boring story, I know, but figured I'd share it with you guys.

Hoilett         Cavallini

Ahmed             Osorio

Loturi
Millar                                  Laryea

Miller  Vitoria  Zator

Borjan

Hoilett is the big question mark because you can play him all over. I put him at second striker since Herdman used him there in the last Gold Cup, but I can see him dropping into a wingback role and putting Millar up top, or into the midfield trio if Ahmed isn’t up to speed yet.

I’m not sure Zator starts either, but my thinking is one of Kennedy or Miller will be held in reserve to freshen the legs against Guatemala.

8 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Dont want this to get overlooked, that is DMM right? I posted some pics in his thread but wasnt 100% sure. That would be pretty exciting, would show how rated he must be to be in the camp. Can anybody train with the squad if invited (but outside the official 23 man roster)?

Yea, that's who I was referring to. And yes, players can be invited to train with the team even though they're not part of the roster

12 minutes ago, El Diego said:

On topic/off topic story: Had a layover in Calgary on Friday on the way to Vancouver and someone familiar sat across from me as I was waiting in the lounge. I was searching my brain: "Do I know this guy from work? School? Mutual friends? He seems so familiar". Then I realized, hey -- that's Scott Kennedy! Then Dominick Zator and Victor Loturi sat down beside him.

I didn't say anything to them and couldn't help overhear them talking a little bit as they were so close. Then a young German couple come over to Zator with their phone excitedly. The man said to him "Are you.... are you from Canada!?" and I thought to myself wow, this random German tourist recognizes him! Zator replied yeah and the German guy said "Can we... can we use your phone to make a call?" Not sure if Zator thought he was going to ask for a photo, but in any case he allowed them to use his phone despite his flight boarding soon. The call went longer than expected, apparently this German couple was looking to rent a motorhome in Yellowknife (whatever floats your boat). Zator was gracious about it, though he was slightly nervous about the long distance.

Anyway, I was planning on saying "Good luck against Guadeloupe" when I went to board my flight, but they left their spots when I went to the bathroom so I didn't have a chance. Boring story, I know, but figured I'd share it with you guys.

Strangely enough, Yellowknife is a big tourist destination for Germans. I think there’s actually a direct flight there from Frankfurt.

Edit: it’s apparently a direct flight to Whitehorse

Edited by InglewoodJack

Given the roster adjustments:

Millar-----Cavallini----Brym

------------Hoilett----------

-------Osorio---Loturi--------

Laryea-Miller-Vitoria-Zator-ZBG

---------------?--------------

First off, this set up leans on familiarity. All of these guys have been in several camps, including Loturi and Zator, who finally get their debuts after learning the ropes in consecutive camps. I was leaning Bombito originally, but losing Eustaquio and Adekugbe may tempt Herdman out of the idea and he may go with the older Zator who knows the group better. We could also see Spoony here instead of Loturi, but banking on Herdman to reward the youngster.

The rest of the mid and attack pick themselves. I don't think Nelson or Fraser start given they are coming late, but I would love to see Nelson at least come off the bench.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

First off, this set up leans on familiarity. All of these guys have been in several camps, including Loturi and Zator, who finally get their debuts after learning the ropes in consecutive camps. I was leaning Bombito originally, but losing Eustaquio and Adekugbe may tempt Herdman out of the idea and he may go with the older Zator who knows the group better. We could also see Spoony here instead of Loturi, but banking on Herdman to reward the youngster.

The rest of the mid and attack pick themselves. I don't think Nelson or Fraser start given they are coming late, but I would love to see Nelson at least come off the bench.

You’ve got 11 outfield players there.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

One player too many

45 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

Liam Fraser over Choniere???

We lost our only pure DM. Loturi can play there but I guess Fraser makes some sense given his familiarity. Not calling Choiniere with his adaptability and being able to add another LB cover with adekugbe gone is a head scratcher. He has to be injured for a few weeks.

Nelson I like. The squad looks an absolute shell though. Big chance for players to step up, it's looking like a big step though.

43 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Strangely enough, Yellowknife is a big tourist destination for Germans. I think there’s actually a direct flight there from Frankfurt.

Edit: it’s apparently a direct flight to Whitehorse

Oh actually now that you mention it, I think it may have been Whitehorse they were going to

59 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I mean, it wouldn't shock me if that's the direction Herdman went, but why do you think a player with 6 pro starts is likely to start out of position over a much more experienced player in their natural position?

I dont believe this is out of position. I believe Bombito has played as an outside CB in a back 3 for colorado this season. Zator on the other hand has been playing in a back 4 as a right back most often. So I would argue that bombito is a more natural fit at RCB than zator (or at least similar).

However, Bombito has beaten hiebert, mcnaughton and waterman for a call up. Obviously herdman sees alot in him. He has much more athleticism than many of our guys. His upside is bigger than Zator. I dont think Zator ever develops into a guy who can give meaningful minutes to Canada but Bombito might be able to. As for expereince, there's really not tons to separate them. NCAA bombito is close to a CPL Zator. This season bombito has been injured but when he isnt, hes been playing. Obviously zator has more experience but its not incredibly high quality experience. Not enough IMO to justify his inclusion. 

I look at guys like heibert, mcnaughton, waterman and Zator and they have been called up because we have no depth at CB. If any of them played fullback, winger or striker, they would unlikely ever be called up. They are one rung below miller and that should be one rung too low for CMNT. Bombito and mcgraw could potentially step into the miller category and I think Herdman sees this too. 

---Hoilett-----Cavallini----Brym

----------------Osorio----------

--------Wotherspoon--Loturi--

Laryea---Miller----Vitoria-----ZBG

---------------Borjan--------------

What I would want to see...

Shaffelburg-----Cavallini----Brym

------------Osorio----------

-----Ahmed------Loturi------

Laryea-Miller----McGraw-----ZBG

------------St. Clair--------------

34 minutes ago, Shway said:

---Hoilett-----Cavallini----Brym

----------------Osorio----------

--------Wotherspoon--Loturi--

Laryea---Miller----Vitoria-----ZBG

---------------Borjan--------------

What I would want to see...

Shaffelburg-----Cavallini----Brym

------------Osorio----------

-----Ahmed------Loturi------

Laryea-Miller----McGraw-----ZBG

------------St. Clair--------------

The good thing about Schaffleburg is that he has legs and will put service into the box, so that's good for Cavallini. On the right I don't know what to expect from Brym. Is he a get balls into the box kind of guy? I am not sure. He shown before he can get by players, but his virtues are probably more centrally, if not cutting inside from the left. On the right might be a job for Millar instead? I like him best cutting inside as well, but if we are leaning on Cav to score it's gonna be getting on the end of service in the box.