Gold Cup 2023

27 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't know, Jamaica have a good manager and almost handed the US their first opening GC defeat. The backline looks a bit on the young side regardless of where they play. We might have an ability to counter if Sam, Richie and Eustaquio bring their A game. Nice to be be expected to win in some ways.

Agree with this but I have noticed a lot of people picking Jamaica to beat Canada if they meet in the QF, so I think we may be slight underdogs (although I would disagree we actually are).

People are expecting Jamaica to get to the SF with all that firepower going forward, but for all that firepower they weren't about to score more than 1 goal against the US. And it's not as if Turner was peppered either.

First game and all, so there's that, but on paper our defense won't be easier for Jamaica, or at least it shouldn't be.

16 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I guess I would say the situation is a bit different than when that was filmed.

If you grow up in England (like most places) playing football, you dream of going to the World Cup.  I can fully accept players came to Jamaica hunting that glory and little else.

You don't grow up in England dreaming of going to the Gold Cup.  The English-born players that have been there for a few games now, I would think have something else going on.

I just look at the player I know well.  Michail Antonio is probably not going to make it to the next World Cup.  He doesn't need to put himself in the shop window. He has fitness issues. He is mercurial at the best of times but  if he has come again, I think you should be able make a very good team with players like him.

He will be 36/37 when the world cup comes around, that's old for a player who struggles with fitness, but on the other hand he'll still probably be their best option barring some unforeseen new recruit, no?

Saw a good chunk of the Mexico Honduras game. Boy these teams are both shadows of their former selves. Mexico looked shaky defensively at the beginning despite the early lead. Obviously it's Mexico so they'll always be good on the ball and relatively tidy, but they don't seem scary going forward. I think they wanted more than Honduras, given all the pressure on them now, so although Honduras had some decent play (especially Elis), this was always Mexico's game to lose. 

I am unafraid for this Canada side to play them. Even if we lose Eustaquio (hopefully the rumour is untrue) I still think we have enough to get past them. 

Excited to see our boys. I wasn't so high on our chances a few days ago, but after wathing USA, Jamaica and Mexico play, I feel more like "why not us" instead of "this team are underdogs".

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Excited to see our boys. I wasn't so high on our chances a few days ago, but after wathing USA, Jamaica and Mexico play, I feel more like "why not us" instead of "this team are underdogs".

I’m excited to see the boys play too…but I will reserve the “why not us” until I’ve seen how we do against Guadeloupe.

2-0 minimum would be the only result that would have me saying “why not us”. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Not sure how much you want to read into training pinnies, but as far as I could tell on my phone, it broke down:

Red: Kennedy, Vitoria, Bombito (?) Zator, Laryea, Ahmed, Shaffelburg, Cavallini, Brym

White: Miller, McGraw, ZBG (?), Millar, Loturi (1:23?), Osorio, Spoony, Russell-Rowe

Not seen: Adekugbe, Eustaquio, Hoilett

Edited by footballfreak

8 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Not sure how much you want to read into training pinnies, but as far as I could tell on my phone, it broke down:

Red: Kennedy, Vitoria, Bombito (?) Zator, Laryea, Ahmed, Schaffelberg, Cavallini, Brym

White: Miller(?), McGraw, ZBG (?), Millar, Loturi (?), Osorio, Spoony, Russell-Rowe

Not seen: Adekugbe, Eustaquio, Hoilett

You can see Hoilett at around 0:57. Bombito, Miller, ZBG and Loturi are all on the vid. I also see Deuce Michel’s training with the team. Who’s the guy behind him at 1:16, with the blue boots?

Edited by phresh

9 minutes ago, phresh said:

You can see Hoilett at around 0:57. Bombito, Miller, ZBG and Loturi are all on the vid. I also see Deuce Michel’s training with the team. Who’s the guy behind him at 1:16, with the blue boots?

I know Hoilett is in the vid, but I didn’t see him once they put pinnies on. 

I initially pegged blue boots as Bombito, but later on I thought I saw him wearing red. Hence the ? next to him. Who is the guy immediately right of blue boots at 1:16? Behind Oso?

Edited by footballfreak