Gold Cup 2023

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If Gibraltar, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland can have FIFA status I think we’re splitting hairs in not allowing the same in this instance. Particularly as they’re in another confederation altogether they can’t have their cake and eat it too. Either they’re a country or not. If they’re not a country they shouldn’t be competing internationally at all. 

There are weird instances all over the globe for why teams are/aren't FIFA nations, but what really seems to matter is what the 'parent' FA wants. The Faroe Islands and Greenland have the same status under Danish law, but the Danish FA recognizes the Faroe Islands as an independent federation and doesn't for Greenland.

The USSF specifically refers to Puerto Rico and other US territories as partner federations. The FFF claims full control over French soccer and the national teams of the French overseas territories are funded by and answer to the FFF.

43 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

There are weird instances all over the globe for why teams are/aren't FIFA nations, but what really seems to matter is what the 'parent' FA wants. The Faroe Islands and Greenland have the same status under Danish law, but the Danish FA recognizes the Faroe Islands as an independent federation and doesn't for Greenland.

The USSF specifically refers to Puerto Rico and other US territories as partner federations. The FFF claims full control over French soccer and the national teams of the French overseas territories are funded by and answer to the FFF.

Great post and that reminds me: We have a country with another country’s name allowed to play in FIFA ffs - United States Virgin Islands. 

It’s true that the French overseas territories even play in the French cup. I wonder if that is the tie that distinguishes them in this instance. 

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Amazingly club teams from Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guiana, etc. play in the Coupe De France (which could qualify them for the UEFA Europa League) and also in the qualifying for the Caribbean club cup that can qualify them for the Concacaf Champions Cup.

I did the confused reaction because there needs to be a shocked reaction. None of them felt quite right.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Amazingly club teams from Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guiana, etc. play in the Coupe De France (which could qualify them for the UEFA Europa League) and also in the qualifying for the Caribbean club cup that can qualify them for the Concacaf Champions Cup.

I went on a deep Wikipedia hole a few days ago about these French departments with national teams, and I was surprised to find out that St. Pierre & Miquelon actually play in the coupe de France too- a team there lost 8-0 to a 5th division team in 2021. Crazy that a team based on a rock 20 KM from NFLD that most people don’t know exist could hypothetically go far into couple de France. No clue how they figure out home and away matches but it would be crazy if through some strange coincidence a team like PSG is forced to travel to St Pierre.

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I went on a deep Wikipedia hole a few days ago about these French departments with national teams, and I was surprised to find out that St. Pierre & Miquelon actually play in the coupe de France too- a team there lost 8-0 to a 5th division team in 2021. Crazy that a team based on a rock 20 KM from NFLD that most people don’t know exist could hypothetically go far into couple de France. No clue how they figure out home and away matches but it would be crazy if through some strange coincidence a team like PSG is forced to travel to St Pierre.

And they're currently trying to get CONCACAF membership I believe.

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Last year a club called ASM Belfort travelled to Tahiti for a game:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_Coupe_de_France

Just now, VinceA said:

And they're currently trying to get CONCACAF membership I believe.

Oh god that would be cool and also absolute garbage. Cool to acknowledge a piece of France exists off of our coast, less cool when we play an away there on a 5 degree night with 50km winds and lose 3-2 because they made our team sleep in one of the 3 bed and breakfasts on the island in bunk beds. 

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I believe their league only has 3 teams

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Oh god that would be cool and also absolute garbage. Cool to acknowledge a piece of France exists off of our coast, less cool when we play an away there on a 5 degree night with 50km winds and lose 3-2 because they made our team sleep in one of the 3 bed and breakfasts on the island in bunk beds. 

Screw that.  De Vos secures multimillion dollar sponson-ships by then, and we land on the pitch 30 minutes before the game for warm-ups in helicopters, with everyone in CSA bespoke blazers over warmups.

5 minutes ago, shorty said:

Screw that.  De Vos secures multimillion dollar sponson-ships by then, and we land on the pitch 30 minutes before the game for warm-ups in helicopters, with everyone in CSA bespoke blazers over warmups.

This, or more likely it’s Herdman driving a borrowed motor boat from some fisherman in Newfoundland and driving the team, 5 guys at a time from NF to St Pierre over and over. “This is our personal dunkirk!!” 

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

How would their entry to club competition be handled? MLS and Liga MX wouldn't want them in the Leagues Cup so an automatic entrant to the CONCACAF Champions Cup Round One with a home game in late Feb or early March? The fun and games really start that way if Greenland get in and there's a trip to Nuuk for some unsuspecting Mexican club at that time of year. Fortunately Greenland are talking about building an indoor stadium for FIFA related games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arktisk_Stadion

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

How would their entry to club competition be handled? MLS and Liga MX wouldn't want them in the Leagues Cup so an automatic entrant to the CONCACAF Champions Cup Round One with a home game in late Feb or early March? The fun and games really start that way if Greenland get in and there's a trip to Nuuk for some unsuspecting Mexican club at that time of year. Fortunately Greenland are talking about building an indoor stadium for FIFA related games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arktisk_Stadion

Wouldn’t they just be entered in the Caribbean tournament like the CPL champ did a few years back?

Good for Greenland. According to Wiki, this is the pitch for their most recent champion:

image.jpeg.b32ee1195b65280dd95a66b1f20e6eca.jpeg

CanPL teams weren't in the Caribbean tournament. It was the CONCACAF League that was involved with Central American clubs in there as well. That's been axed now and the Leagues Cup is now the North American regional entry competition replacing that with only the three MLS clubs as Canadian entrants. There are also separate Caribbean and Central American Cups for places in the CONCACAF Champions Cup as well. SP-M and Greenland are both geographically in North America so difficult to see how they could be treated differently from the CanPL entrants.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Maybe I am just in a mood because of a shit workday but if these are actually French affiliates that are precluded from actual FIFA membership as independent entities because of that relationship, why not tell them they need to play in UEFA or even just feed into the French football machine?  Maybe CONCACAF needs the presence of these minnow almost-countries to make up the numbers but it seems like they don’t bring a lot of value.  Give them (and France) an ultimatum that they can either play in CONCACAF as full FIFA members or France and UEFA can have them and figure out what to do with them.   I don’t really think France’s interests are better served by option 2.   I am sure the lax FIFA rules would still let France siphon off any legitimate talent they uncover in a colony/affiliate/whatever but it would avoid the ridiculous situation that our regional conference allows the participation of “countries” that aren’t members of the FIFA umbrella organization.  

Or maybe I just need another beer. 

19 hours ago, maplebanana said:

This sounds like a challenge I would enjoy taking on!

Do you know of anywhere I can find historical CONCACAF rankings? I can only see the current ones that were updated on 3/31/2023. If I had even 2 sets of historical rankings I could probably figure out the weighting factors based on the results. Based on their description of it being a zero sum game, I suspect the Expected result is calculated similar to the FIFA ratings which are Elo based. 

In the meantime I've screen capped the CONCACAF index for 3/31 and I assume it will be updated after the gold cup, so I'll have 2 data sets by then and I should figure out something.

You can use url Wayback machine to grab older versions of webpages

5 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

For the French teams, this is only true for the teams that are departments which are considered full members of France (but not a part of the Schengen). New Caledonia and Tahiti (French Polynesia) are territories of France and are full FIFA members.

In the case of England, Scotland, Gibraltar, etc, of course there is historical reasons why they've been admitted to FIFA individually but the Kingdom of the Netherlands follows a similar structure and their constituent countries have been admitted as well. This explains why Curacao and Aruba are FIFA members but not Bonaire. However Sint Maarten has the same status as Aruba and Curacao and has been rejected for FIFA membership.

Although as mentioned previously, especially with the Faroes/Greenland scenario, the rules for membership are not applied evenly for whatever reason.