Gold Cup 2023

Now that we got a sweetheart group do you guys think it changes the kind of team we call? The tournament is a week later than nations league, so we could easily call the same squad for both, but with such an easy group there is a temptation (or opportunity, I guess) to give some guys the summer off and bring in some fringe players.

Cuba is not going to test us, and I don't think Guatemala will either. T&T could come out of the prelims and that game should be relatively comfortable, too. However, bring a B selection for Canada and we will probably face some adversity along the way winning the group, which is what we want. Problem is, unlike the USA or Mexico I don't think we can call a true B squad and expect to win the whole thing

Maybe we call our best for Nations League and Rotate out the tail end of the roster? I am thinking spots 19-23

Changes from NL to GC:

• Zator OUT - Waterman IN
  • Loutri OUT - Baldisimo IN
  • McGill OUT - Hasal IN
  • Brym OUT - Nelson IN

Those are just some examples which are obviously debatable, but I am more interested in discussing the idea of whether or not we will rotate, or should rotate, based on what we now know. 

35 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Good group, can’t knock Guatemala or like Trinidad pulling one over on us though.

That said, I feel like this isn’t the time for tough matches. We want experience, sure, but we want results and trophies. We’re going to have to go through Mexico and the US one way or another, so might as well “breeze” through the first games and play the toughest ones when they count.

If we want a difficult game, throw money at Germany or Colombia for a friendly, not some risky nations league game that could end in embarrassment. 

I like your perspective here. Having an easy group could be a blessing in regard to keep guys fresh and not picking up cards. Didn't we lose a few guys to cards last time? We definitely lost some to injury. Either way, your post made me feel much better about the draw. Like I said, maybe we keep the squad the same but just rotate the back end and let the young boys put in work during the group stage, keep the top guys in reserve until the knockouts begin. That's a luxury Mexico and (to a lesser extent) USA may not have. 

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Keep in mind that over a span of just over 1 month we could potentially play 8 games. This is pretty unreal and super exciting as a fan.

However, as a player that is pretty daunting. A European player would get next to no rest this summer. Meanwhile, a MLS player could miss 6 or 7 league games. Pretty huge commitment from anyone. For this reason alone I would be totally ok with bringing a completely different squad to the Gold Cup.

It's a good point.

Would a weak group stage make a lot of guys decline? We have a few players like David, Buchanan and even Larin who may be a little club-conscious, given each could be making summer moves. The last thing they need is some no-name on Cuba hacking them down and putting their transfer at risk.

I am sure Arfield would agree, right? RIGHT?  

In all seriousness though, I do suspect not everyone will be chomping at the bit to play this group stage.

Prime Candidates to skip out:

• David (very likely to move)
  • Buchanan (somewhat likely to move)
  • Larin (future unclear)
  • Adekugbe (future unclear)

Other Candidates:

• Vitoria (legs)
  • Hutchinson (legs and possible retirement)
  • Borjan (might just be the time to start the transition to St. Clair and even give someone like Sirois, Hasal or McGill a GS game) 

37 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's a good point.

Would a weak group stage make a lot of guys decline? We have a few players like David, Buchanan and even Larin who may be a little club-conscious, given each could be making summer moves. The last thing they need is some no-name on Cuba hacking them down and putting their transfer at risk.

I am sure Arfield would agree, right? RIGHT?  

In all seriousness though, I do suspect not everyone will be chomping at the bit to play this group stage.

Prime Candidates to skip out:

• David (very likely to move)
  • Buchanan (somewhat likely to move)
  • Larin (future unclear)
  • Adekugbe (future unclear)

Other Candidates:

• Vitoria (legs)
  • Hutchinson (legs and possible retirement)
  • Borjan (might just be the time to start the transition to St. Clair and even give someone like Sirois, Hasal or McGill a GS game) 

I have always maintained that the “Option B” of us sending some alternates and giving our top guys a rest is still acceptable to me.  I get the idea of wanting to win trophies and fully support it.   But if it is decided (by the players or the powers that be) that we will not go all out in both tourneys, I am Ok with the alternative.  

FYI, The last time Canada earned maximum points in the group stage of the Gold Cup was … never. In 16 previous editions of the Gold Cup, even when the tournament featured groups of three teams, Canada always had at least one draw or loss in the group matches.

Could this be the year Canada wins all their matches in the group stage? Given the opposition, you’d think so, but it also depends on what players are selected for the team.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

There's really no point having that rule this year.

So players are going to play Nations League then go on a 1-2 week vacation and come back for the Gold Cup?

You think CONCACAF cares? Increases their odds of big players attending.

If they have a QF with Canada v Jamaica they’re going to need Davies to show. 

The next 4 years are crucial for this confederation. You just have to think (hope) they’d be smart to plan accordingly. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Maybe we call our best for Nations League and Rotate out the tail end of the roster? I am thinking spots 19-23

Changes from NL to GC:

• Zator OUT - Waterman IN
  • Loutri OUT - Baldisimo IN
  • McGill OUT - Hasal IN
  • Brym OUT - Nelson IN

I don't think the european clubs of these players would have any issues to let them play the Gold Cup, man for man - they are stronger than their MLS counterpart. They are also fighting for CanMNT spots so I doubt they'd make themselves unavailable

This is the best window where we have a legit chance to win both trophies - doubtful Herdman resists that opportunity when Mexico are searching for their lost spark and the US have either drama and/or will be under new management by then (Is the Berhalter thing over?)

Now's the time to pounce.

Edited by Ansem

On 12/20/2022 at 9:48 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Group D Matchday #1 June 27th
Group D Matchday #2 July 1st

Group D Matchday #3 July 4th

1 hour ago, goleafs67 said:

According to Neil Davidson only one match at BMO:

"While the full schedule has yet to be announced, Canada will play its opening game at Toronto's BMO Field with the next two games in Houston." 

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-sports/canadian-men-do-well-at-draw-for-this-summers-concacaf-gold-cup-6856696

Neil Davidson's scoop makes sense given the fact that we are in Group D.

We would likely play at BMO on Tuesday, June 27th.

BMO becomes busy again (Argos/TFC) in early July.

2 hours ago, goleafs67 said:

According to Neil Davidson only one match at BMO:

"While the full schedule has yet to be announced, Canada will play its opening game at Toronto's BMO Field with the next two games in Houston." 

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-sports/canadian-men-do-well-at-draw-for-this-summers-concacaf-gold-cup-6856696

One game really why bother , just play them all in Houston then what’s purpose ? Here was I thinking all games at BMO for Canada oh well .

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Just read we are only hosting one match.

Going to be hilarious when they make Cuba forfeit the last 2 games because they couldn't get visas due to racist US border policy 

Is this something new? Cuba has always entered the US for the Gold Cup.

5 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Is this something new? Cuba has always entered the US for the Gold Cup.

Not in 2021.

The team was ready to play the play in games but were denied entry.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/cubas-gold-cup-hopes-dashed-by-covid-visa-travel-woes/amp/

Edited by narduch

Is there ever any chance of a Gold Cup being hosted by multiple Central American nations?  Like a joint Guatemala/Honduras or Honduras/Panama?  Or just having Mexico be the host nation?  Announce it 2-3 years ahead of time, allocate some funding for field upgrades if needed, etc. 

2 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

FYI, The last time Canada earned maximum points in the group stage of the Gold Cup was … never. In 16 previous editions of the Gold Cup, even when the tournament featured groups of three teams, Canada always had at least one draw or loss in the group matches.

Could this be the year Canada wins all their matches in the group stage? Given the opposition, you’d think so, but it also depends on what players are selected for the team.

Nice stat. Reading through the thread before I got to your comment I started wondering when the last time we won the group was. You probably know since you know about the all wins stat above, but it was 2009 when we beat Jamaica and El Salvador, then tied Panama.

We also won the group in 2007. We were in a three way tie in a three team group in 2000, 2002, and 2003, and topped the group based on tie breaker in only 2002.

Random side note. For years and years I had a memory of watching a Canada vs Brazil game, but it was Brazil's U23 team. I was certain Brazil jumped out to a big early lead and had in mind we lost around 4-0 or 4-1. In looking up past group stage results just now I've confirmed my memory, it was in the 1996 Gold Cup. Brazil sent their U23 team and scored against us in the 3rd, 7th, and 14th minutes. Brazil ended up winning 4-1. I didn't remember it being a Gold Cup game. I am pretty sure I looked for this game in the past but I was probably looking for "Brazil U23" on the Canada Soccer website and thought it was a friendly. Glad to have this memory verified!