Gold Cup 2023

Just now, Soccerpro2 said:

Why are people excited about an easy group when Herdman has been clamoring for stiff competition for our team? How does this help us get better?

This is probably why he didn't look very happy on the stream. I don't blame him. There is nobody in this group that will really push us. If I am Herdman I am damn tempted to call a B team, but a B team is probably not seriously challenging for a trophy. Should be interesting...

Just now, Obinna said:

Alex on the One Soccer live stream was saying last tourney it was A vs D and B vs C....if that's the same again we possibly get Jamaica, or even the USA if they slip up. Curacao should land in that group, I think, and they are good enough to steal points from USA and turn things upside down. 

Either way, got to beat the best to be the best, so we shouldn't worry about who we could get in the knockouts, I guess. 

As they noted on the broadcast, the US has won their last five groups.  Most likely Jamaica quarter-final, which was the toughest team in pot 2.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Do we know which group plays which in the quarter finals? I'm guessing B and D will be paired up and A and C, but I'm not sure.

I don't see anything published yet. If they follow the 2021 tournament format, D met A in the quarter-final. 1D played 2A, which led to a semi-final matchup with the winner of 1B/2C.

6 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Why are people excited about an easy group when Herdman has been clamoring for stiff competition for our team? How does this help us get better?

I get it.  But I am okay with the idea of some good warm Up games where we can hopefully dip into our bench and keep our best guys fresh by putting away games early and making some key subs.  We will face good competition later in the tourney (and in NL) so there won’t be a shortage of good games this summer.   

Will there also be the rules where players can be added after the group stage as well?    I think USA may have done this in the last tournament if I can remember.  I'd be happy giving a couple of big names off for the group stage and bringing them in for the knockout rounds.

This way, we'd be able to send our best to win both tournaments this summer and also get a few games in for some new blood in the group stages.

Edited by Corazon

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

Will there also be the rules where players can be added after the group stage as well.  I'd be happy giving a couple of big names off for the group stage and bringing them in for the knockout rounds.  I think USA may have done this in the last tournament if I can remember.

If I remember correctly, this rule only happened once ever (2017?).  I remember us adding Larin for the Jamaica QF game.

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

I could have sworn USA brought in someone in knockout stages in 2019 or 2021.

I might be wrong and this rule was in the 2019 GC.  I believe it only happened once though.  I’m pretty sure it was 2017 though as I randomly remember it was around the time Larin got his DUI.

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

These are all very low profile teams though. Are we playing all of our group matches in Toronto? if so, attendance will likely stink

Agreed.  Let's hope for either Trinidad & Tobago or Guyana to make it to our group over Grenada or Guadeloupe because it will help a bit.  But I'm thinking they may only do one double header at BMO Field like the last time they hosted here.

Edited by Corazon

32 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

31 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

That’s why I think Herdman did not look happy.

The teams Herdman is clamoring for are not any of the teams Canada could have possibly faced in the Group Stage.

Weak draw. But favourable to us in the aspect that we really will be able to bloodin some new guys at the expense of giving some guys a rest (if they want it)

The states used to do this before, where  they would bring a whole different squad for the knockout rounds. I don’t know if Concacaf gold cup rules still allow this today…but this could be a thing.

27 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

If I remember correctly, this rule only happened once ever (2017?).  I remember us adding Larin for the Jamaica QF game.

26 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I could have sworn USA brought in someone in knockout stages in 2019 or 2021.

23 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I might be wrong and this rule was in the 2019 GC.  I believe it only happened once though.  I’m pretty sure it was 2017 though as I randomly remember it was around the time Larin got his DUI.

It definitely happened in 2017 as I also remember Larin joining late that year.

The USMNT really took advantage of the rule in 2017 as they brought in several big guns from MLS for the knockouts, with Michael Bradley winning MVP of the tournament despite only having played in the knockouts.

CONCACAF allowed injury replacements in the knockout rounds (taken from the provisional squad lists) in 2021 due to COVID.

Good group, can’t knock Guatemala or like Trinidad pulling one over on us though.

That said, I feel like this isn’t the time for tough matches. We want experience, sure, but we want results and trophies. We’re going to have to go through Mexico and the US one way or another, so might as well “breeze” through the first games and play the toughest ones when they count.

If we want a difficult game, throw money at Germany or Colombia for a friendly, not some risky nations league game that could end in embarrassment. 

Keep in mind that over a span of just over 1 month we could potentially play 8 games. This is pretty unreal and super exciting as a fan.

However, as a player that is pretty daunting. A European player would get next to no rest this summer. Meanwhile, a MLS player could miss 6 or 7 league games. Pretty huge commitment from anyone. For this reason alone I would be totally ok with bringing a completely different squad to the Gold Cup.