Gold Cup 2023

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I think that there is a chance that we get a hosting format similar to two years ago where some venues host Matchday #1 and Matchday #2.

I think Cincinnati is likely to host a knockout round match.

Is that Zoo even worth going to now?

RIP Harambe 🦍  🤣

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harambe

Cincy is an underrated cool town.....I like it a lot...and if you are in the GTA, London or Windsor its easily driveable....just avoid that nasty chili on spaghetti noodles.....gross

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

2015 at BMO was a double-header, with Jamaica playing El Salvador in the other match.

Yeah I purposely stated it as one match day and not one match. Didn’t want to get too many hops up about Toronto potentially hosting multiple CanMNT matches. 

Would expect doubleheader matches.

Edited by Pottsy3

37 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

Cincy is an underrated cool town.....I like it a lot...and if you are in the GTA, London or Windsor its easily driveable....just avoid that nasty chili on spaghetti noodles.....gross

I went back when Ottawa was in USL with the Fury. August 2017 I believe. It was a nice town.

I didn't go to the zoo though 😅🦍

I find it odd that the PNW hosts the Gold Cup games so little.  Nothing since 2013, when both Seattle and Portland did it.  Granted Seattle did at least host for the Copa America 2016 and both Seattle and Vancouver are host cities for the 2026 WC, but it still seems odd Seattle is shut out of the GC so often considering the support for soccer in the area.

Venues are probably invited to bid for this and maybe they don't? If the United States isn't involved in the double header, the best cities for this in the United States will tend to be where there are the largest Mexican and Central American populations and Seattle doesn't necessarily fit the bill on that:

Hispanic-Population-in-the-United-States

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Venues are probably invited to bid for this and maybe they don't? 

I think most venues are simply selected by CONCACAF.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I find it odd that the PNW hosts the Gold Cup games so little.

CONCACAF will likely bring the Copa America 2024 to many of the venues that missed out this time.

Think Seattle, Atlanta, the Boston area, Philly etc...

+ other cities will get games for the W-Gold Cup.

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I find it odd that the PNW hosts the Gold Cup games so little.  Nothing since 2013, when both Seattle and Portland did it.  Granted Seattle did at least host for the Copa America 2016 and both Seattle and Vancouver are host cities for the 2026 WC, but it still seems odd Seattle is shut out of the GC so often considering the support for soccer in the area.

Yea they got great fam support, but not great stadiums…or moreso pitches. Turf is rarely featured at the GC.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Venues are probably invited to bid for this and maybe they don't? If the United States isn't involved in the double header, the best cities for this in the United States will tend to be where there are the largest Mexican and Central American populations and Seattle doesn't necessarily fit the bill on that:

That map seems pretty outdated.  What's that date on the map, 1990? 

There are many more "Hispanic origin" persons in the US now. Especially in the southeast region where I am currently.

Though your point about Seattle/PNW is probably still accurate.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hispanic-Population-in-the-United-States

We saw the Gold Cup ten years ago in Seattle, Mexico vs. Canada, and 95% of the stadium was packed with Mexican fans. So wrong again. 

In stats of a few years ago, Washington State is 15th in total Hispanic population of all US states and about the same in % of Hispanic-Latino population. That is well over a million people, most of them Mexican-American.

Even in Vancouver the % of Latin Americans is up 40% from 5 years ago, just the population in Metro Vancouver could fill the stadium in Seattle.

But keep making shit up.

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I totally agree, ignoring the dumbass arguments about Latino population base we get from the usual suspects.

Seattle would have no problem hosting, Portland too. I don't get it. The stadium converts easily from NFL to MLS, it has the best attendance of any MLS team over the last 10 years so the general fan base is excellent, and it's a sports town with a downtown stadium and an urban population in the soccer-fan demographic. 

But mostly, being in Vancouver, it is a shame not be able to drive a few hours to see a Gold Cup match at a good venue. Since I have family I would even go to see a Costa Rica-Jamaica, same as I've seen random Sounders games.

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I wonder if there’s a chance Toronto gets a copa America match if all goes well? I don’t see why not. 

Hopefully CONCACAF can do a better job at marketing/pricing this than the CSA. 

If the Nations League is anything to go by, if there is a game in Toronto, my guess is that CONCACAF will price the Copa America games much higher than Canada Soccer would.  

50 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Seattle would have no problem hosting, Portland too. I don't get it. The stadium converts easily from NFL to MLS, it has the best attendance of any MLS team over the last 10 years so the general fan base is excellent, and it's a sports town with a downtown stadium and an urban population in the soccer-fan demographic. 

That would be Atlanta.

The overall point about Seattle is valid, though. It would be a good Gold Cup host. Maybe the stadium owners are asking for too much?

16 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

If the Nations League is anything to go by, if their is a game in Toronto, my guess is that CONCACAF will price the Copa America games much higher than Canada Soccer would.  

We can also go by the 2015 Gold Cup at BMO Field, which IIRC was extremely overpriced.

Why isn't anyone mentioning the fake grass when talking about Seattle, and Portland? 
If it's not happening at the Gold Cup, it's definitely not happening at the Copa America unless the plans for converting to real grass happen sooner than just for the WC.

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Why isn't anyone mentioning the fake grass when talking about Seattle, and Portland? 
If it's not happening at the Gold Cup, it's definitely not happening at the Copa America unless the plans for converting to real grass happen sooner than just for the WC.

Because there's also fake grass in LA (SoFi), Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz) , Dallas (AT&T), Houston (NRG) and Charlotte (Bank of America). It's obviously not the issue holding the PNW venues back.

52 minutes ago, RS said:

That would be Atlanta.

The overall point about Seattle is valid, though. It would be a good Gold Cup host. Maybe the stadium owners are asking for too much?

Atlanta over the past ten years, I guess so. I am a bit stunned Atlanta has been around for 10 years.

Still, the market is a very strong soccer market, and has been for half a century in fact, a lot of the soccer culture in Seattle was fostered by British Boeing engineers and mechanics. 

I like it as a venue, stands are fairly vertical; same as I like that baseball stadium, very compact and great sightlines.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Atlanta over the past ten years, I guess so. I am a bit stunned Atlanta has been around for 10 years.

Still, the market is a very strong soccer market, and has been for half a century in fact, a lot of the soccer culture in Seattle was fostered by British Boeing engineers and mechanics. 

I like it as a venue, stands are fairly vertical; same as I like that baseball stadium, very compact and great sightlines.

Atlanta's in their seventh season, so close enough. Charlotte also surpassed Seattle's attendance in 2022 and so far in 2023, but time will tell whether they can sustain it.

Regardless, I agree that Seattle as a soccer market (and Portland) should have been included in more Gold Cups over the years. That they weren't, despite evidence that they'd support the games well, tells me that something else is holding them back (and no, it's not the artificial turf).

24 minutes ago, RS said:

Because there's also fake grass in LA (SoFi), Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz) , Dallas (AT&T), Houston (NRG) and Charlotte (Bank of America). It's obviously not the issue holding the PNW venues back.

It's probably more about regional advantages with respect to "growing the game" south of the mason-dixie line (Atlanta/Charlotte) and catering to the Hispanic/Mexican demographic (Southwest/Texas).

As mentioned, Seattle (and Portland too) are cities where the game is relatively developed. The PNW is perhaps a victim of their own success with making soccer a popular part of the sporting landscape. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's probably more about regional advantages with respect to "growing the game" south of the mason-dixie line (Atlanta/Charlotte) and catering to the Hispanic/Mexican demographic (Southwest/Texas).

As mentioned, Seattle (and Portland too) are cities where the game is relatively developed. The PNW is perhaps a victim of their own success with making soccer a popular part of the sporting landscape. 

You may be correct, although I'm not sure how much CONCACAF cares about growing the game in certain U.S. regions.

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

...As mentioned, Seattle (and Portland too) are cities where the game is relatively developed...

How many Sounders or Timbers fans are going to show up for El Salvador vs Haiti if the USMNT are not part of the double header? Meanwhile in Los Angeles or Miami you have large populations of recent immigrants from those countries who definitely will and that means the organizers can turn a profit.

1 hour ago, RS said:

lol....oops. Simply googling would've answered this.
Thanks for the correction.

Make's me believe that Canada could fully host a Gold Cup. 

Edited by Shway