Gold Cup 2023

The extra seats behind the north goal at BMO were a permanent fixture from 2016-2020.

They went away during the pandemic but it’s far more likely that TFC was the catalyst for their return rather than a (likely) one-off double-header in July.

Not sure about any possible “better” game that could be held at BMO during the Gold Cup than a CMNT match, though.

8 minutes ago, ShralpShralpShral said:

You would think we would host Canada's group

Be kind of strange if it wasn't done that way. Just a question of how many group stage games per venue at that point given there's 15 of them. Laughable how what I wrote was misconstrued above.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

31 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Laughable how what I wrote was misconstrued above.

I understood what you meant, but I can see how someone could misinterpret. Some punctuation probably could have made it more clear. Something like this.

"Hopefully it will be a CMNT game, or even better, games, that get played there."

If it's still not clear, he means he's hoping Canada plays more than 1 game in Toronto.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Knowing concacaf they will fix this to ensure Jamaica in Toronto.

I don't think they will believe they have to do that, depending on how many games we get I suppose. If it's the same as 2015 then we get 1 double header with one of the games being a Canada game. So the hope would be that should be enough to sell most tickets.

If there are more than 1 double header, including any that don't involve Canada, then yes maybe they would put a Jamaica game in Toronto. I think I read that the locations of the games will be announced at a later date, after the draw.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

I understood what you meant, but I can see how someone could misinterpret. Some punctuation probably could have made it more clear. Something like this.

"Hopefully it will be a CMNT game, or even better, games, that get played there."

If it's still not clear, he means he's hoping Canada plays more than 1 game in Toronto.

Ahhhh, thanks.  For the life of me I couldn't figure out what he was saying.

The old "Let's eat Grandpa" vs. "Let's eat, Grandpa." situation.  Commas are your friend.

34 minutes ago, Metro said:

Argos have it on July 3rd.

Guess June 24th and 28th could still be two double headers at BMO Field for the group with the CMNT in it without getting too close to the TFC game. Then the third set of games could be at another venue. With CONCACAF involved expect the unexpected though. If other countries kick up a fuss about a second host getting home field advantage something bizarre might happen.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I guess they waited til last window was over to confirm we qualified. Would explain the timing of it. Glad to see it, obviously. 

Knowing concacaf they will fix this to ensure Jamaica in Toronto.

I'm tired of this fixture in Toronto lol. I hope it's Jamaica vs someone else in Toronto. 
Side note Demarai Gray should finally be in their squad.

57 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Guess June 24th and 28th could still be two double headers at BMO Field for the group with the CMNT in it without getting too close to the TFC game.

I agree. Toronto will host Matchday #1 &/or Matchday #2.

My other observations/speculation:

New York: likely to host on Matchday #3.

Chicago: looks likely for the Group Stage for Mexico.

Houston's (MLS/NWSL) stadium is free between June 22nd and July 6th (inclusive). That was always going to be a Group Stage venue. Likely for the Costa Rica group.

Edit:

The Miami area will host the preliminary round, just like 2 years ago.

https://www.intermiamicf.com/news/drv-pnk-stadium-to-host-2023-concacaf-gold-cup-preliminary-round

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

This is a similar number of venues to 2015 when we hosted the group stage match versus Costa Rica. I would expect this to be the same, where no venue hosts more than one matchday.

I wouldn't mind an away day, the wife has been oogling over the Cincinnati Zoo's social media. That would be a good selling point for my family at least.

1 minute ago, Pottsy3 said:

This is a similar number of venues to 2015 when we hosted the group stage match versus Costa Rica. I would expect this to be the same, where no venue hosts more than one matchday.

I think that there is a chance that we get a hosting format similar to two years ago where some venues host Matchday #1 and Matchday #2.

2 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I wouldn't mind an away day, the wife has been oogling over the Cincinnati Zoo's social media. That would be a good selling point for my family at least.

I think Cincinnati is likely to host a knockout round match.

Is that Zoo even worth going to now?

RIP Harambe 🦍  🤣

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harambe

48 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I think that there is a chance that we get a hosting format similar to two years ago where some venues host Matchday #1 and Matchday #2.

I think Cincinnati is likely to host a knockout round match.

Is that Zoo even worth going to now?

RIP Harambe 🦍  🤣

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harambe

I was still in university during the Harambe fad. And for whatever reason, I unironically purchased a “Dicks out for Harambe” t-shirt. 

now it’s the hippos! Fritz is a social media influencer.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Be kind of strange if it wasn't done that way. Just a question of how many group stage games per venue at that point given there's 15 of them. Laughable how what I wrote was misconstrued above.

Yes...you most certainly are laughable. Actually...I laugh at almost all your comments here...we'll except the ones that just leave me shaking my head. 

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Guess June 24th and 28th could still be two double headers at BMO Field for the group with the CMNT in it without getting too close to the TFC game.

In 2023, even with only 9 venues, there were less double-headers than previous. I wouldn't be surprised if the Toronto matches aren't double-headers this time.

2 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

2015 at BMO was a double-header, with Jamaica playing El Salvador in the other match.