Expanded Gold Cup 2025

Obinna

7 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Shame we couldn't get some matches in Toronto as well. I'd love to make the trip to Vancouver but I'm saving that for the World Cup in case I'm able to get tickets in Vancouver but not Toronto in 2026. Tough sell to the wife to go west 2 years in a row.

I think I heard the Club World Cup (I think that’s the event but maybe I’m mixing it up) is at the same time and in NA so Toronto may have some of those games. Not the same to me but still tests the infrastructure. 

2 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

I think I heard the Club World Cup (I think that’s the event but maybe I’m mixing it up) is at the same time and in NA so Toronto may have some of those games. Not the same to me but still tests the infrastructure. 

Toronto was not included in the rumoured list of host venues. There was a rumour that CWC would be East US and GC would be West US - Gold Cup has kept to that promise but CWC still supposedly wants to have matches in Seatlle and Pasadena. We'll see how things shake out once those venues are confirmed but i'd be surprised if Toronto received any matches.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

Shame we couldn't get some matches in Toronto as well. I'd love to make the trip to Vancouver but I'm saving that for the World Cup in case I'm able to get tickets in Vancouver but not Toronto in 2026. Tough sell to the wife to go west 2 years in a row.

Your wife should be required to do a few "Virtues of the West" classes, by way of rehab.

3 hours ago, archer21 said:

It's absolutely not a shame Toronto gets no Canada games for this.  For a number of perfectly valid reasons, Vancouver has not hosted any games in quite a while and this is the perfect time to get some games there.  Toronto doesn't need to be included in everything.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It's absolutely not a shame Toronto gets no Canada games for this.  For a number of perfectly valid reasons, Vancouver has not hosted any games in quite a while and this is the perfect time to get some games there.  Toronto doesn't need to be included in everything.

I know, but I'm selfish and live within driving distance of Toronto.

3 hours ago, archer21 said:

Shame we couldn't get some matches in Toronto as well. 

Keep in mind that there's no Canada Soccer games in Montreal since 2017 😭  That's a SHAME with uppercase letters 😡 A Canada Soccer public training session in Montreal gonna calm me down a little bit 😅

Y'all being spoiled with Canada Soccer games in Toronto 😂 Don't forget that 😉

8 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I guess/hope it will be our home base at least for first round.🙃

My gut is telling me that if we qualify, there will be 2 matches in Vancouver and they will put the 3rd one elsewhere.

I highly doubt that they would put all 3 Group Stage matches there.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Toronto should host the Gold Cup prep friendly against Cololmbia that also celebrates our 25 year anniversary of that 2000 win

From a travel perspective it could make sense to actually play the prep game in Vancouver. Generally Toronto has the advantage over Vancouver when it comes to travel, but we are probably playing our 3 group stage games on the West Coast, so it's further travel up front, flying guys in from Europe and such, but we have to play out there regardless, may as well get the guys into BC early and set up shop there...

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

From a travel perspective it could make sense to actually play the prep game in Vancouver. Generally Toronto has the advantage over Vancouver when it comes to travel, but we are probably playing our 3 group stage games on the West Coast, so it's further travel up front, flying guys in from Europe and such, but we have to play out there regardless, may as well get the guys into BC early and set up shop there...

Either that or a friendly in Edmonton.

34 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Either that or a friendly in Edmonton.

I thought of that but didn't mention it due to a lack of grass. I assume grass will be in place ahead of the GC?

Also thought about Spruce Meadows, but too small a venue for the likes of Colombia. Could be good though if we are playing a smaller nation, or of course for the youth teams or the CWNT, as we saw in Halifax. 

53 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

No clue. And I'd worry less about grass for a friendly, though I suppose it depends on the competitor.

Colombia is ranked 9th right now and flying high, but I am not sure they are high enough profile to refuse playing on turf. 

Opponent aside though, playing in Edmonton on turf versus BC Place on Grass would obviously make sense to have a friendly in Vancouver, but if BC Place won't be getting the grass before Gold Cup, I guess it's 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. You could say it would still make more sense to place at BC Place regardless, since the group stage games are there, but Edmonton is close enough and there seems to be a desire to spread games around. 

8 hours ago, narduch said:

Toronto should host the Gold Cup prep friendly against Cololmbia that also celebrates our 25 year anniversary of that 2000 win

Aren't we often told that all the games have to be in Toronto partly because most of the players are from there? If that's the case, any 25th anniversary celebration match would have to be in Vancouver, since most of the players that won it are from there.

23 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Aren't we often told that all the games have to be in Toronto partly because most of the players are from there? If that's the case, any 25th anniversary celebration match would have to be in Vancouver, since most of the players that won it are from there.

I'm fairly certain half that squad was from Toronto as well.  I don't think there were too many from anywhere else besides Greater Vancouver and Greater Toronto though.

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

*Men's National Team games

It's a shame that only 6000 people showed up for that match in June 2017

Yes the Golden Generation of Men's National Team!

Remind me again what was the name of the opponent... Curacao? Remind me again on which day... On a Tuesday? And remind me the name of the superstars that we had back then?

6000 people was pretty good attendance for a friendly game in Montreal to be honest. I thought you'll tell me there was 600 people.

Montreal are always there for big games and Montrealers want to be entertained. Montreal are always there for winning teams and superstars. Any sports included. 

The reality of 2017 (a losing national team in the past) isn't the same reality of 2024 (a winning national team in the present). There's much hype in 2024 than in 2017. Now, there's superstars and montrealers superstars. 

The Canada Soccer jerseys are getting sold out in Montreal. The TV audience (TSN, RDS) for Canada Soccer are growing in Montreal. 

The Saputo stadium was sold out for the Women's National Team. 

For example, if this Golden Generation Men's National Team played at Montreal for the World Cup 2022 Qualifications - there would be 60 000 people at Olympic Stadium! 

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Do we assume then that Canada has games in Vancouver?

I would assume 1 game, but wouldn't assume anything beyond that. Toronto has hosted the Gold Cup on 2 occasions, and both times there was 1 gameday (once a double header including a Canada game, and the other time just a single game, which involved Canada). Maybe Vancouver will get more than 1 game/doubleheader, but it's entirely possible they get the same thing Toronto got.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

I would assume 1 game, but wouldn't assume anything beyond that. Toronto has hosted the Gold Cup on 2 occasions, and both times there was 1 gameday (once a double header including a Canada game, and the other time just a single game, which involved Canada). Maybe Vancouver will get more than 1 game/doubleheader, but it's entirely possible they get the same thing Toronto got.

The point is to prep the cities for the World Cup. To apply FIFA organizing criteria and apply all the protocols. All the organizational teams for 2026 are activated  To not make Copa errors or other. Otherwise Vancouver would not even be a Gold Cup host city.

So the point is not to think in Gold Cup terms, but in CONCACAF thinking in WC terms. 

This is why historically events were played the year before a WC to prep. The club cup is the same, and Toronto definitely should be included in it for the exact same reasons. 

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Davies was the the biggest canadian soccer prospect/talent in 2017. Davies wasn't yet a superstar in 2017. Davies was a superstar in 2020 (it's started from 2018).

It's important to mention that Canada vs Curacao friendly game at Montreal was Davies's first international cap in 2017. 

Remind me again what was the name of Davies's team in 2017... Vancouver Whitecaps?

The normal Montrealers soccer fans are following Montreal Impact games and the big European clubs games (not Vancouver Whitecaps games). And it's important to remind that Davies's first Vancouver Whitecaps career goal was against Montreal Impact in 2018 (not in 2017).

Bayern Munich Davies (2020-) is a superstar for normal Montrealers soccer fans (I'm not talking about the Voyageurs or Canada Soccer fans).

Davies is now the most popular canadian soccer player in Montreal. All the Davies's Canada Soccer jerseys are sold out in Montreal now. All the Montrealers soccer players wants to be the next Davies now.

Coach Jesse went to the players and said what was their opinions if we go to Montreal. To go out in the Montreal's community, to do some training sessions and to see some players.

All the players were so excited about this opportunity!

And the first one to say ‘let’s do this in Montreal’ was Davies!