Expanded Gold Cup 2025

Obinna

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

We may get both of them.

Does't Qatar Airways still sponsor CCC and other Concacaf events?

I believe so. 

Qatar and Saudi would be unimaginative and money driven, but from a competitive standpoint I don't mind it. Good teams that could challenge for the title without being favourites like Japan or even Korea may have been.

Also, there would be no player departures of significance for the club world Cup, for Qatar. 

For Saudi they could be missing like 10 players with Al Hilal.

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@dyslexic nam this has your fingerprints all over it.....

It is the reason I am off today (many folks in the eastern part of the province get a holiday on the Friday of the parade instead of the early August civic holiday).  The “Gold Cup and Saucer” horse race is one of the oldest harness racing events in Easter Canada and is the anchor event for PEI’s Old Home Week.  

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is the reason I am off today (many folks in the eastern part of the province get a holiday on the Friday of the parade instead of the early August civic holiday).  The “Gold Cup and Saucer” horse race is one of the oldest harness racing events in Easter Canada and is the anchor event for PEI’s Old Home Week.  

I'm sitting here enjoying the thought of "the eastern part of PEI". I did not realize it was so regionalized there. 😂

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

I'm sitting here enjoying the thought of "the eastern part of PEI". I did not realize it was so regionalized there. 😂

Yeah it's very much an east/west segmented place, I believe with Summerside being the major centre in the western part and Charlottetown being the eastern (and main) major centre.

If it's a 16 team tournament I definitely want it all CONCACAF. If you look at the top 16 nations by CONCACAF ranking there are still decent teams that could improve with more Gold Cup experience. 15th Cuba, 16th Guadeloupe, 17th Suriname, 18th French Guiana. Obviously you could find better elsewhere, but those teams aren't too terrible.

6 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Is Qatar still contractually obligated to be at the 25 GC? If the invitees are Qatar and New Zealand I would be fine with that. Basically removing a non-FIFA side for an NZ team that is probably lower top-half in quality. 

Saudi Arabia just announced a bunch of new sponsorships with Concacaf. Just saying.

41 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Is Qatar still contractually obligated to be at the 25 GC? If the invitees are Qatar and New Zealand I would be fine with that. Basically removing a non-FIFA side for an NZ team that is probably lower top-half in quality. 

I don't think so. I recall it being for two editions. 2021 and 2023.

I have to disagree with @lamptern and @Watchmen here. I can't go back to CONCACAF only after the absolute KINO (for the most part) that was this year's COPA. This expanded, multi-federation Gold Cup could be an awesome spectacle, like a diet World Cup, a true dress rehearsal for 2026. Anyhow, let's wait and see what the official word is.  

On 8/22/2024 at 8:28 PM, Macksam said:

I have to disagree with @lamptern and @Watchmen here. I can't go back to CONCACAF only after the absolute KINO (for the most part) that was this year's COPA. This expanded, multi-federation Gold Cup could be an awesome spectacle, like a diet World Cup, a true dress rehearsal for 2026. Anyhow, let's wait and see what the official word is.  

I agree. At least for this upcoming Gold Cup and how an expanded version would be ideal WC prep. To keep such a format though would beg the question - what's the point of a continental competition if so many other continents are represented? Are you proving you're the best in your region by potentially finishing 3rd or 4th overall behind European, Asian or African teams?

14 minutes ago, jdheid said:

I agree. At least for this upcoming Gold Cup and how an expanded version would be ideal WC prep. To keep such a format though would beg the question - what's the point of a continental competition if so many other continents are represented? Are you proving you're the best in your region by potentially finishing 3rd or 4th overall behind European, Asian or African teams?

With Nation's League now a main stay, CONCACAF is allowed to take liberties with this tournament IMO. 

Edited by Macksam