Expanded Gold Cup 2025

Obinna

23 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Toronto excluded from FIFA Club World Cup

https:/

/x.com/FIFACWC/status/1840156781580038528

Probably the right call. Toronto fans can be fussy and some teams would not draw well.

On the other hand, a half empty NFL stadium will look worse to a global audience.

Admittedly, I am making the assumption that fans wont travel from their home cities for this tournament to boost attendance? But maybe that will change with this new Hollywood-style format and rebranding of the CWC?

Edited by JBR

Another piece of news is the announcement that the 2025 Gold Cup will not have the rumored guest countries from other confederations and will no longer be in a 24-nation format. According to Concacaf, the 16-nation format will continue, with 15 from Concacaf and Qatar as the only guest.

Concacaf announces host cities and stadiums for 2025 Gold Cup

4 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Another piece of news is the announcement that the 2025 Gold Cup will not have the rumored guest countries from other confederations and will no longer be in a 24-nation format. According to Concacaf, the 16-nation format will continue, with 15 from Concacaf and Qatar as the only guest.

Concacaf announces host cities and stadiums for 2025 Gold Cup

Where is Qatar mentioned? 

13 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

https:/

/x.com/FIFACWC/status/1840156781580038528

I don't agree with it. Maybe TO were too dumb to present a candidacy. 

Just as it would've been great to have GC in Seattle too so we could bask in the glory of lockdown traffic on the I-5 (my way of saying road trips are, should be, might be, fun).

15 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

According to Concacaf, the 16-nation format will continue, with 15 from Concacaf and Qatar as the only guest.

The most boring outcome. B tournament yet again. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't agree with it. Maybe TO were too dumb to present a candidacy. 

It's more that Toronto generates less USD than sites in USA. Let's not pretend this CWC is for anything other than making money. 

15 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

The most boring outcome. B tournament yet again. 

It's more that Toronto generates less USD than sites in USA. Let's not pretend this CWC is for anything other than making money. 

It's the FIFA pre-WC prep tournament. 6 of the venues coincide with WC venues.

The Gold Cup covers 4 more WC host cities. 

The only WC venue cities not involved in either tournament are the Mexican hosts, Toronto, Boston and Kansas City, who had Copa America (St Louis hosts for Gold Cup).

I am sure it has nothing to do with the proverbial humility and soft demeanour of sports fans in Beantown and Hogtown.

19 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

I find it interesting that Chicago was excluded from both the the Gold Cup 2025 and the Club World Cup 2025. I assume it is because they will not host in 2026

https://www.fifa.com/en/tournaments/mens/club-world-cup/usa-2025/articles/12-stadiums-named

----

18 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

and will no longer be in a 24-nation format.

This is obviously true.

BTW, @Obinna , you can edit the thread title to just "Gold Cup 2025" since it won't be expanded.

18 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

and Qatar as the only guest.

Did I do the sums incorrectly?

• 4 Quarterfinal winners

• 4 League B winners

The March 2025 qualifications:

- 2 highest ranked 2nd place League B teams

- 4 winners of the November playoffs involving the League C winners

- 4 Quarterfinal losers

=  so, 10 teams, 5 winners

That gives us:

4 + 4 + 5 = 13

Therefore 3 guest teams needed. If one of the guests is Qatar, two more will be invited, right?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I find it interesting that Chicago was excluded from both the the Gold Cup 2025 and the Club World Cup 2025. I assume it is because they will not host in 2026

https://www.fifa.com/en/tournaments/mens/club-world-cup/usa-2025/articles/12-stadiums-named

----

This is obviously true.

BTW, @Obinna , you can edit the thread title to just "Gold Cup 2025" since it won't be expanded.

Did I do the sums incorrectly?

• 4 Quarterfinal winners

• 4 League B winners

The March 2025 qualifications:

- 2 highest ranked 2nd place League B teams

- 4 winners of the November playoffs involving the League C winners

- 4 Quarterfinal losers

=  so, 10 teams, 5 winners

That gives us:

4 + 4 + 5 = 13

Therefore 3 guest teams needed. If one of the guests is Qatar, two more will be invited, right?

Nations league finalists and league B winners qualify. The prelims, I think it’s 14. Quarterfinal losers (4), play in winners (bottom 4 league A vs league C winners) (4), league A 3rd and 4th (4) and 2 more 2nd place teams from league B (2). 

The final of the Club World Cup is 3 weeks before the start of the Premier League season and 2 weeks before the Community Shield.  Let’s say Liverpool or Man City make the CWC final, no one gets any time off.

Also, the final is in July.  What happens to the players whose contracts end on June 30th and are free agents (e.g. Davies)?  

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

The final of the Club World Cup is 3 weeks before the start of the Premier League season and 2 weeks before the Community Shield.  Let’s say Liverpool or Man City make the CWC final, no one gets any time off.

Also, the final is in July.  What happens to the players whose contracts end on June 30th and are free agents (e.g. Davies)?  

Playing professional sports is hard work, but it's also a privilege and a blessing that you don't have to work a full time, 5 day 9 hour a week job like the majority of the world has to do. On top of that, you are paid 50x more than the average person...and have more time to spend with your family than the average person. A month off of work (4 weeks vacation) isn't standard for a lot of people. 

So as a fan. I can't relate or sympathize with the "fixture congestion" concerns that the players complain about. More competitive games - like new UCL, CWC or Nations League for example actually excites me. 

IMO there's superstar-God-given-talent like Mbappe, Haaland, Yamal or whatever that everyone wishes to be able to see...but I think squad rotation is undervalued on so many aspects, and this new age of football will require it more than ever...which to me ultimately means talent will emerge from the increase in opportunities.

11 hours ago, Shway said:

Playing professional sports is hard work, but it's also a privilege and a blessing that you don't have to work a full time, 5 day 9 hour a week job like the majority of the world has to do. On top of that, you are paid 50x more than the average person...and have more time to spend with your family than the average person. A month off of work (4 weeks vacation) isn't standard for a lot of people. 

So as a fan. I can't relate or sympathize with the "fixture congestion" concerns that the players complain about. More competitive games - like new UCL, CWC or Nations League for example actually excites me. 

IMO there's superstar-God-given-talent like Mbappe, Haaland, Yamal or whatever that everyone wishes to be able to see...but I think squad rotation is undervalued on so many aspects, and this new age of football will require it more than ever...which to me ultimately means talent will emerge from the increase in opportunities.

How many teams except for a small handful can rotate their squad and maintain anywhere near that quality of play?  This is also a very physical sport - if the clubs and the federations keep on adding more games to the schedule, players will continue to break down.  
I also wonder what happens if Bayern makes the final of the CWC and let’s say Phonzie signs for Real Madrid.  Does he basically say, ok, I’m not your player any more - best of luck in the final. I’m also going to guess he might play for Bayern and not us in the Gold Cup.

8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

How many teams except for a small handful can rotate their squad and maintain anywhere near that quality of play?  This is also a very physical sport - if the clubs and the federations keep on adding more games to the schedule, players will continue to break down.  
I also wonder what happens if Bayern makes the final of the CWC and let’s say Phonzie signs for Real Madrid.  Does he basically say, ok, I’m not your player any more - best of luck in the final. I’m also going to guess he might play for Bayern and not us in the Gold Cup.

The average team has two XIs, yes quality can drop with rotation, however it is an idea that isn't done enough because players want to play in every game.

More games, requires more players. 

side note...I wonder if there are any stats on the use of the 5 man subs.

11 hours ago, Shway said:

I can't relate or sympathize with the "fixture congestion" concerns that the players complain about. More competitive games - like new UCL, CWC or Nations League for example actually excites me. 

Can you relate to the decreased quality of games that will inevitably happen when fatigued players are forced to play nearly year-round?

No amount of money can get around the fact that the players are still human beings whose bodies (and minds) need rest to perform at a top level.

FIFA, the confederations and the various leagues are really pushing it with the massive amount of new fixtures being added as they chase another dollar. WC 2026 will suffer from this overscheduling as players will be coming off nearly two years without rest.