Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I don’t think that’s true 

Robinson ream Richards dest

Pulisic mckennie cardosa weah

balogun 

all play regularly. Adam’s would as well if he was fit. It’s pretty much just Reyna who is a starter and doesn’t play. 

Just a little quibble with Ream, after they got all their centre backs back (the same injuries that saw LDF get so much preseason time) he didn't play really at all.  No league minutes from mid February until the last game of the season.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

30 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I don’t think that’s true 

Robinson ream Richards dest

Pulisic mckennie cardosa weah

balogun 

all play regularly. Adam’s would as well if he was fit. It’s pretty much just Reyna who is a starter and doesn’t play. 

What about their keeper?

29 minutes ago, narduch said:

He's not the USMNT #1 though 

On the whole point I think we stack up pretty even as far as starting guys who haven't been playing -  if you take leagues out of it. 

For fun and boredom. 

Keeper - Ours (MLS) played more than theirs (Premier League benched since January)

Left back - Ours - some games  left out in the Bundesliga vs. almost the definition of a fixture in the Premier League

Centre backs - Regulars in Sweden and MLS (for recent months) vs. Regular near the end of the season in the Premier League (decent minutes before)  and on the bench in the Premier League since February (regular at times before).

Right back - Regular bar injuries in Scottish Premier League vs. Probably 2/3rds of the time starter in the Bundesliga.

Centre mids - Mostly bench in Portugal and a guy that plays 90' about 50% of the time in the Championship vs. mostly bench since an injury in the Bundesliga; a guy that got 90' once in Premier League, mostly rest out because of injuries and a more regular starter in the first half of season and probably 50% start in the second half in Serie A.

Left wing - (Millar for convience) Regular in the Championship vs. Regular in Serie A

Right wing - Mostly injured until the tournament and a majority starter in MLS vs some starts, some good minutes and some cameos in Serie A.

Striker(s) - Near lock in Ligue 1 and decent minutes in La Liga vs. slightly more decent minutes with a few more starts in Ligue 1.

Based on Twenty First Group data on 145k players, using factors such as the strength of a player’s team, their position, their playing time, and their contribution to the team’s attack or defense, Canada's average squad rating is 13th amongst Copa America nations. But as seen by the black line in the graphic, Canada's top end talent is in the range of the top 4 nations.

U.S. has a tight band of strong players but lacks players at the very top end. 7 Copa America teams have players ranked higher than the highest American. Davies & David are ranked higher than the highest American. Compared to players at the Euros, there are 103 players ranked higher than the highest American.

This was used in Athletic article to say US doesn't have a golden generation which has been the common refrain amongst their media and fans in the past 5 years. The US has 10 players at the top 50 Opta ranked clubs which places it 15th amongst the combo of 2024 Euro + Copa nations. But they don't play vital roles and their progression at the club level has stalled over the past 2 years. 

Screenshot 2024-07-07 181654.jpg

Posted (edited)

Wait wait … this graphic says Bolivia has a higher average level player than us? Do they even have a player who would get in our squad? 

I can’t accept any of that data if Bolivia isn’t comfortably the worst team in the tournament, which is clear to anyone. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

8 minutes ago, red card said:

Based on Twenty First Group data on 145k players, using factors such as the strength of a player’s team, their position, their playing time, and their contribution to the team’s attack or defense, Canada's average squad rating is 13th amongst Copa America nations. But as seen by the black line in the graphic, Canada's top end talent is in the range of the top 4 nations.

U.S. has a tight band of strong players but lacks players at the very top end. 7 Copa America teams have players ranked higher than the highest American. Davies & David are ranked higher than the highest American. Compared to players at the Euros, there are 103 players ranked higher than the highest American.

This was used in Athletic article to say US doesn't have a golden generation which has been the common refrain amongst their media and fans in the past 5 years. The US has 10 players at the top 50 Opta ranked clubs which places it 15th amongst the combo of 2024 Euro + Copa nations. But they don't play vital roles and their progression at the club level has stalled over the past 2 years. 

Would somewhat disagree with the last sentence

Pulisic was 2nd on his team (17th on the Opta list) in both goals and assists. Pretty vital. 

Chris Richard established himself as a starting centre back on the #41 team.

The other I would guess are Weah, Reyna, Balogun, McKennie, Cardoso, Tillman, Musah and ? missing one.

Maybe not vital but most are good level contributors 

And that would not include a pretty consistently excellent fullback in Jedi just outside the top 50.

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Wait wait … this graphic says Bolivia has a higher average level player than us? Do they even have a player who would get in our squad? 

I can’t accept any of that data if Bolivia isn’t comfortably the worst team in the tournament, which is clear to anyone. 

Take Bolivia's home games at like 5k above sea level and they are essentially a minow.

1 hour ago, red card said:

This looks mostly correct to me - but the Bolivia placement is very bizzare. How can their average be above us? Our “average” player is a solid MLS player. Surely that’s higher rated than someone playing in the Bolivian domestic league.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

What about their keeper?

I think using turner (who was starting at the beginning of the season) (and of course Reyna) to justify that most of the usa players don’t get minutes is false.  2 out of 11 is not most. One being a gk who played half a season.  

6 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Just a little quibble with Ream, after they got all their centre backs back (the same injuries that saw LDF get so much preseason time) he didn't play really at all.  No league minutes from mid February until the last game of the season.

He played 1500 minutes in the prem this season at 36 which is a decent number of minutes.  More than John stones or KDB. He also missed 8 games because of injury.  I don’t think it’s fair to say he wasn’t playing because of ability. 

I think the spirit of saying you are not playing regularly is more for the Buchanan types who get 200 minutes. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

He played 1500 minutes in the prem this season at 36 which is a decent number of minutes.  More than John stones or KDB. He also missed 8 games because of injury.  I don’t think it’s fair to say he wasn’t playing because of ability. 

I think the spirit of saying you are not playing regularly is more for the Buchanan types who get 200 minutes. 

That's trying to twist the numbers a bit.  He played and then he didn't.  That's the opposite of regularly.

He was on the bench once 2 better centre backs were available. At least 2 of Bassey, Tosin, and Diop missed time for various reasons until February (remember LDF was making the bench ) and then he sat while they played.  Definitely because of ability. 

Diop got suspended the last day of the season while Tosin was out and Ream got a game. Probably a last farewell as he is linked with Charlotte in MLS.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

45 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I think using turner (who was starting at the beginning of the season) (and of course Reyna) to justify that most of the usa players don’t get minutes is false.  2 out of 11 is not most. One being a gk who played half a season.  

That may very well be the case.

But I still looking at their starting XI and I don't think it's all that scary or deserving of the hype.

19 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That's trying to twist the numbers a bit.  He played and then he didn't.  That's the opposite of regularly.

He was on the bench once 2 better centre backs were available. At least 2 of Bassey, Tosin, and Diop missed time for various reasons until February (remember LDF was making the bench ) and then he sat while they played.  Definitely because of ability. 

Diop got suspended the last day of the season while Tosin was out and Ream got a game. Probably a last farewell as he is linked with Charlotte in MLS.

Fair play.  I am twisting the numbers.  I guess for me the spirit of this conversation is for guys who are getting 100 minutes a year.  I classify a 36 cb with 1500 minutes in a different category to Buchanan… even though you are correct. 

7 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Wonder if the semi can top 3 mil. This is becoming a big deal (not a bloody big deal thankfully) and another primetime game will do great

I'm sure the numbers are going to be very, very  good and TSN  have done a great job of coverage & promotion of the games. But will TSN pick up CMNT games going forward such as the Netherlands & France friendlies or just wait for WC26?