Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

9 hours ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Poor Alistair. Between the Europeans not watching games @ 4 AM and the Americans assuming they need evening matches in the Pacific time zone, there's no chance of his request being honored for WC26:

"“It can’t be a five o’clock kickoff,” Canada defender Alistair Johnston told the Star. “That’s the simplest one … It’s gotta be an eight or nine o’clock kickoff. Because honestly, it’s not even safe for the fans.”"

I doubt they'll even try to schedule indoor stadiums for daytime matches only; more important to show games back home at the right hour. 1PM/noon and 7PM/6PM kickoff in the east; 1PM and 7PM kickoff out west. 2PM in Mexico except for the host team's 2nd & 3rd matches - Monterrey might be the worst of all?

FWIW: The Welsh supporters were baking in the Qatari sun during a 1PM match and most of them stayed hydrated. Or were pre-hydrated? The fans will be OK in 26. The players...?

Tbf the WC 2026 venues are a bit more dispersed including the north because the business model is more than just trying to sell tickets to Latin Americans in the US south like with God Cup/Copa America.

That being said early morning games could also work no? You covering Europe and to a lesser extent Asia pretty well.

Edited by mpg_29

12 hours ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Poor Alistair. Between the Europeans not watching games @ 4 AM and the Americans assuming they need evening matches in the Pacific time zone, there's no chance of his request being honored for WC26:

"“It can’t be a five o’clock kickoff,” Canada defender Alistair Johnston told the Star. “That’s the simplest one … It’s gotta be an eight or nine o’clock kickoff. Because honestly, it’s not even safe for the fans.”"

I doubt they'll even try to schedule indoor stadiums for daytime matches only; more important to show games back home at the right hour. 1PM/noon and 7PM/6PM kickoff in the east; 1PM and 7PM kickoff out west. 2PM in Mexico except for the host team's 2nd & 3rd matches - Monterrey might be the worst of all?

FWIW: The Welsh supporters were baking in the Qatari sun during a 1PM match and most of them stayed hydrated. Or were pre-hydrated? The fans will be OK in 26. The players...?

I was at that Wales/Iran game and at least a large part of that stadium was covered (the only threat to public health was having to watch 90 minutes of Wales).  From what I've heard KC seemed worse than that.

e: thinking about it a bit though and there was so much hype around Qatar and the heat that people definitely took more precautions - I don't think anyone thinks the same thing about Kansas City per se.

Edited by theaub

Yeah I was right behind the Welsh fans in the lower level in whatever endzone that was - I remember everyone making a beeline to shade at half but honestly don't recall being that inconvinenced by the heat.    But everyone was drinking water in the stadium...if there was the option to buy beer probably would have been a far different outcome lol.

Edited by theaub

Back home in Ottawa after an epic road trip with a buddy to watch Canada's matches in Atlanta, Kansas City and Orlando. We drove between the cities with our Canada Soccer flag flying proudly from our car. I know there were many other Canadian supporters who made the trip to all three cities, some driving, as we did. It was great to see familiar Canadian faces in each city. I salute you all, as that was a lot of driving.

My buddy and I made the most of our trip. Between matches we visited Great Smoky National Park in North Carolina, Mammoth Caves National Park in Kentucky, the Jack Daniel's distillery in Tennessee, spent a fun Saturday night in Nashville, toured Sun Records' recording studio in Memphis, stopped at Elvis's birthplace in Mississippi, and ate way too many American-sized meals of ribs (soooo good) and other unhealthy food.

The highlights, of course, were attending all three matches and seeing Canada move on to the quarterfinals. Just as much fun was meeting and hanging out not only with fellow Voyageurs but also with supporters of Argentina, Peru and Chile. Everyone we met was really complimentary (and a bit surprised) about how well Canada played. For us, there was not a hint of friction between opposing fans. In Atlanta, I was asked by three different Argentine supporters to trade my Canada/Voyageurs scarf for a (knockoff) Messi jersey. Not naming specific countries, but I definitely felt a much better connection to South American supporters than to supporters from certain CONCACAF nations.

Thanks so much to @JamboAl for organizing match tickets and to @Canuckia and the others who organized the pre-match meetups. It was awesome to see so many Canadian fans at away matches. While we can't match the tens of thousands of Argentine fans or the thousands of Chilean and Peruvian fans who travelled to watch their teams, seeing hundreds of Canadian fans at away matches is still really special.

If Canada is ever invited/qualified to play in Copa America when a South American country hosts the tournament, I'll go there in a heartbeat and do a similar road trip.

Ironically, I have no red Canada clothing left to wear on Canada Day today - after two weeks on the road, I needed to do a load of red laundry.

0. Flag.jpg

1. Atlanta bar.jpg

2. Davies.jpg

3. Messi.jpg

4. Argentina.jpg

5. Al.jpg

6. Not sorry.jpg

7. Peru.jpg

8. Chile.jpg

9. Line.jpg

34 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

Back home in Ottawa after an epic road trip with a buddy to watch Canada's matches in Atlanta, Kansas City and Orlando. We drove between the cities with our Canada Soccer flag flying proudly from our car. I know there were many other Canadian supporters who made the trip to all three cities, some driving, as we did. It was great to see familiar Canadian faces in each city. I salute you all, as that was a lot of driving.

My buddy and I made the most of our trip. Between matches we visited Great Smoky National Park in North Carolina, Mammoth Caves National Park in Kentucky, the Jack Daniel's distillery in Tennessee, spent a fun Saturday night in Nashville, toured Sun Records' recording studio in Memphis, stopped at Elvis's birthplace in Mississippi, and ate way too many American-sized meals of ribs (soooo good) and other unhealthy food.

The highlights, of course, were attending all three matches and seeing Canada move on to the quarterfinals. Just as much fun was meeting and hanging out not only with fellow Voyageurs but also with supporters of Argentina, Peru and Chile. Everyone we met was really complimentary (and a bit surprised) about how well Canada played. For us, there was not a hint of friction between opposing fans. In Atlanta, I was asked by three different Argentine supporters to trade my Canada/Voyageurs scarf for a (knockoff) Messi jersey. Not naming specific countries, but I definitely felt a much better connection to South American supporters than to supporters from certain CONCACAF nations.

Thanks so much to @JamboAl for organizing match tickets and to @Canuckia and the others who organized the pre-match meetups. It was awesome to see so many Canadian fans at away matches. While we can't match the tens of thousands of Argentine fans or the thousands of Chilean and Peruvian fans who travelled to watch their teams, seeing hundreds of Canadian fans at away matches is still really special.

If Canada is ever invited/qualified to play in Copa America when a South American country hosts the tournament, I'll go there in a heartbeat and do a similar road trip.

Ironically, I have no red Canada clothing left to wear on Canada Day today - after two weeks on the road, I needed to do a load of red laundry.

0. Flag.jpg

1. Atlanta bar.jpg

2. Davies.jpg

3. Messi.jpg

4. Argentina.jpg

5. Al.jpg

6. Not sorry.jpg

7. Peru.jpg

8. Chile.jpg

9. Line.jpg

Living the dream....well done sir 👍 

2 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

0. Flag.jpg

1. Atlanta bar.jpg

2. Davies.jpg

3. Messi.jpg

4. Argentina.jpg

5. Al.jpg

6. Not sorry.jpg

7. Peru.jpg

8. Chile.jpg

Well done Sir! Great to meet you! guys! I am of the same mind about the semis. I might see you in New Jersey.🤣

Excited for the quarter final against Venezuela, but I'll actually be in a plane on a cross Atlantic flight during the game. Looks like I'm going to have to get myself a VPN so I can watch a recording of it on my Fibe TV app while I am abroad. Any VPN suggestions are appreciated.

49 minutes ago, Kent said:

Excited for the quarter final against Venezuela, but I'll actually be in a plane on a cross Atlantic flight during the game. Looks like I'm going to have to get myself a VPN so I can watch a recording of it on my Fibe TV app while I am abroad. Any VPN suggestions are appreciated.

I use NordVPN, which offers some pretty good multi year cheap deals. It is 50/50 on connecting to a specific city (ex. to get local CBS in your favorite NFL team market), but quite good at least on overall country. Haven't had a problem streaming my home content when traveling abroad.

10 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

0. Flag.jpg

1. Atlanta bar.jpg

2. Davies.jpg

3. Messi.jpg

4. Argentina.jpg

5. Al.jpg

6. Not sorry.jpg

7. Peru.jpg

8. Chile.jpg

9. Line.jpg

Viva la Vida !

C O L D P L A Y