Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

5 hours ago, red card said:

Unlike what we see with kits of European nations, South American nations largely stick with their classical kit looks or have a plain vanilla templated look.

So not much notable kits to be seen for this Copa America. Jamaica's away kit looks to be most unique.

Screenshot-2024-06-21-at-14.18.29.png

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5539401/2024/06/23/copa-america-away-kits-rankings-2024?source=user-shared-article

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

The author is clearly partial to white jerseys.  As they are all the top half choices with Jamaica the exception. And the non-whites are all the bottom half. 

Well, those were the away kits. Here's the ranking of the home ones.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5536713/2024/06/22/copa-america-home-kit-rankings-2024?source=user-shared-article

8 hours ago, An Observer said:

The author is clearly partial to white jerseys.  As they are all the top half choices with Jamaica the exception. And the non-whites are all the bottom half. 

Is it just that Twitter idiot making the list?

So if Canada wins, by the end of the day we are at worst in a tie for 2nd (behind Chile, tied with Argentina) or at best in 2nd outright (behind Argentina). We would very much still have our fate in our hands.

If Canada draws, we won't be eliminated yet but we will need help to advance (and a win against Chile). If Argentina doesn't win tonight, along with us drawing, we can assure at least a 2nd/3rd place tie breaker by winning against Chile.

If Canada loses, we are eliminated with a game still to play. No amount of help can get us through.

Someone please correct me if I got anything wrong.

just curious how things are in your parts.  round here in vcr, the MNT doesnt register one ounce.

on match days: holland, france, argentina, nobody on the street wearing anything CSA related.  on the france and argentina days however, i saw a few wearing those colours, plus a couple of kids wearing the red.

amongsty friends who play organised 'soccer', they all profess to be huge die-hards, but its almost comical when i ask if they will watch the match.  the usual replies are:

huh?

its on too early (they think im talking about the euros)

no, i have volleyball tn

i popped into sportchek to look around and its all baseball and ice hockey.  the merch for "soccer" is just one rack about on par w/ CFL stuff.

some of the pubs im walking by have the typical heineken, carlsberg sponsored euro posters up, but beyond that, the focus inside is ice hockey, baseball and golf.

i loved coach herdman, but i really really wish he didnt call us a footballing nation that day.

1 hour ago, kungfucious said:

just curious how things are in your parts.  round here in vcr, the MNT doesnt register one ounce.

Also in Vancouver, but I've actually seen a few cars with "Country X" car flag but also a Canada flag.

14 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Scaloni just confirmed as I type,  on TV 

The substitutes will play 

Rulli Will be goalkeeper 

Garnacho to start could be Alvarez and Lothar Martínez UP front 

No Messi nor Di Maria 

Their team is still REALLY good with subs. I'm not worried. It's not like their going to play to lose. 

Argentina 🇦🇷 beats Chile 🇨🇱 1-0 and now it is up to us to get a result against Chile 🇨🇱...either get a win or a draw but if we really go for the win and get 6 points then it at least solidifies our position no matter what. But a draw like they said will probably be enough on 4 points.

But Chile like Peru are also an aging side and also like Peru are going to be physical and defensively compact. Notice how it took Argentina all of 88 minutes to finally get something from that game. My point being that Chile are not going to be as easy as we think.

15 hours ago, kungfucious said:

on match days: holland, france, argentina, nobody on the street wearing anything CSA related.  on the france and argentina days however, i saw a few wearing those colours, plus a couple of kids wearing the red.

amongsty friends who play organised 'soccer', they all profess to be huge die-hards, but its almost comical when i ask if they will watch the match.  the usual replies are:

huh?

its on too early (they think im talking about the euros)

no, i have volleyball tn

i popped into sportchek to look around and its all baseball and ice hockey.  the merch for "soccer" is just one rack about on par w/ CFL stuff.

some of the pubs im walking by have the typical heineken, carlsberg sponsored euro posters up, but beyond that, the focus inside is ice hockey, baseball and golf.

i loved coach herdman, but i really really wish he didnt call us a footballing nation that day.

I'm in Toronto. I haven't seen many Euro flags this year, except in the Portuguese part of town I have seen quite a few, and a lot of Portugal jerseys (I was in the area on a Portugal match day). I've seen 1 French jersey, 1 Turkey jersey, maybe a couple others. I've seen 3 or 4 Canada flags on cars, including at least one that was a Canada Soccer flag with no other nations on that car, and at least 1 where there was a Portugal, Uruguay, and Canada. I've put my own Canada flag on my car.

In Dufferin mall there is a pop up shop with a bunch of soccer jerseys. When I walked by I saw a big sign advertising a clearance sale on Canada jersey's, $15 each! They are the old jerseys. I picked up a white one (Davies) and a black one (no name/number). I already have a red one. There was another guy looking through the Canada jerseys for his size while I was there. Not sure I have actually seen anyone wearing a Canada jersey on game days, although I've barely gotten out of the house on those days.

I still get the impression that the Euro's are getting the majority of the attention here.