Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They called Bailey but he won't play. Other than that there might be some injury concerns but the squad they called is their A team. 

Are Gray & Pinnock on the team?

Edited by Kadenge

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Is Gray on the team?

Yes

Both racing for fitness as I mentioned but Gray for sure thinks he will be there

“It’s good to be back; I was disappointed that I missed the World Cup qualifiers, but I’m happy the boys got the six points. I am glad to be back with the boys and excited for this tournament,

GP7FYMaXEAAKlSG?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 minutes ago, red card said:

CANMNT has hit the mainstream in one aspect...racial discourse. Mostly between Argentines/Canadians re Bombito being abused. But others have are taking advantage.

The fact that this dude decided to pay $8 a month to Elon Musk already tells me he's an idiot, even without reading his racist takes. 

18 hours ago, 74 Whitecap said:

The difference between the two sides is just that Chile has more movement and ideas and creativity going forward which makes them more dangerous, whereas Peru doesn't have much offensive creativity, just looking for set pieces and corners to generate chances

So you are saying our next game is against Canada circa early 2010s?

23 minutes ago, kacbru said:

So you are saying our next game is against Canada circa early 2010s?

Yes, that is exactly who they reminded me of against Chile, getting forward in workmanlike fashion on occasion, but not much idea what to do with the ball once they got into the final third.

2 hours ago, saladroit said:

wasn't always this bad, a certain manchild who bought the site is at least 90% culpable for this

2 hours ago, kacbru said:

Another reminder that twitter is a safe space for racists. 

Can I ask you to consider something.

We just got to see two takes: one attempt at emotion that came off as silly from someone who at least fancies himself an academic and one very reasonable - not just emotional - ie. "boo! Racist!  - but a succinct good point, from a guy that is on the platform as a footballer.

The first guy probably has other ways to present his message, ones where the subject of it - a member of a football team - would not be around to respond.  I think conversions to his cause are probably easier in those situations.

I am happy for bad ideas to be out in an open forum where they can be shown to be bad ideas.  Just my opinion.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

17 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Can I ask you to consider something.

We just got to see two takes: one attempt at emotion that came off as silly from someone who at least fancies himself an academic and one very reasonable - not just emotional - ie. "boo! Racist!  - but a succinct good point, from a guy that is on the platform as a footballer.

The first guy probably has other ways to present his message, ones where the subject of it - a member of a football team - would not be around to respond.  I think conversions to his cause are probably easier in those situations.

I am happy for bad ideas to be out in an open forum where they can be shown to be bad ideas.  Just my opinion.

I took a lot of philosophy in university and have always agreed with this idea.  Scrutiny is the best weapon against dumb or destructive ideas. I don’t think it is entirely black and white (*cough*) because lots of otherwise good people often choose to say nothing whereas assholes often seem to be disproportionately vocal, but on a fundamental level I agree that exposing bad commentary (including bigotry) to public scrutiny is generally a good thing.   

“Canada is a diverse country,” Davies said. “(Bombito) having to deal with that, we just want to get the message out that he’s not alone. He has the support of his teammates, of his friends, his brothers. And now we’re here for him. That has nothing to do with football.”

“The fact that in this day and age, this is still something that exists is really awful,” Marsch said. “But I’m learning more and more about what it is to be Canadian. And I think what these guys feel is that their differences make them stronger and their backgrounds and their unique stories are what really brings them together.”

“I think they’re really interested and unified by their diversity,” Marsch said. “So if anyone’s looking to poke the bear with this kind of stuff, I think there’s strength, there’s belief there’s support and there’s disgust for the way that some people act. But it won’t change the resolve that the players have and the commitment they have to each other.”