Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

11 hours ago, costarg said:

No way!  Is this photo-shopped?  Just such a weird coincidence!  Did you tell him about our hockey street smarts?

Hah, no, that’s a real photo, but yes, such a coincidence that I saw him wearing that shirt. He’s an American from Minnesota and knew that St. Clair is our backup keeper. His adopted daughter is from Colombia but grew up playing hockey in Minnesota. She plays for the Colombian national hockey team and he got that shirt when they played in a tournament against Argentina and Mexico.

I didn’t tell him about the hockey/football street smarts discussion that was going on here!

Watching Peru - Chile and I don't think Canada is ready for the ornery, high-paced shit show we're in for the next 2 games. It's calmed down a bit but the fouling, diving and corralling of refs is constant. 

Chile has more football, Peru counters but their defending is much looser. Chile has an ageing Alexis, Tajon's teammate. Bravo is still an excellent keeper. Perú captain Advíncula has come off injured first half. . 

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Watching Peru - Chile and I don't think Canada is ready for the ornery, high-paced shit show we're in for the next 2 games. It's calmed down a bit but the fouling, diving and corralling of refs is constant. 

Chile has more football, Peru counters but their defending is much looser. Chile has an ageing Alexis, Tajon's teammate. Bravo is still an excellent keeper. Perú captain Advíncula has come off injured first half. . 

While I'd agree this is more physical, playing in CONCACAF we're gamiliar with these types of antics. At the very least I think we're better acquainted than a European nation would be, for example. It's basically like playing Honduras+

7 minutes ago, kingvikingstad said:

While I'd agree this is more physical, playing in CONCACAF we're gamiliar with these types of antics. At the very least I think we're better acquainted than a European nation would be, for example. It's basically like playing Honduras+

Do you watch Scottish football at all?

More seriously, if your team has every been to any smaller nations in tiny grounds in the recesses of Europe like say in the Conference League (like Jonathan David), it doesn't look that different.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Do you watch Scottish football at all?

More seriously, if your team has every been to any smaller nations in tiny grounds in the recesses of Europe like say in the Conference League (like Jonathan David), it doesn't look that different.  

A little bit. It's the whole package though, not just the physicality. There's something mentally and emotionally exhausting about the faking, complaining, ref swarming, arguing, dirty plays behind the run of play that breaks people. It's like playing 11 Richies.

Hmmm recesses of Europe... sort of like playing Astra Giurgiu (I'm also a West Ham supporter lol)!

44 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

Hah, no, that’s a real photo, but yes, such a coincidence that I saw him wearing that shirt. He’s an American from Minnesota and knew that St. Clair is our backup keeper. His adopted daughter is from Colombia but grew up playing hockey in Minnesota. She plays for the Colombian national hockey team and he got that shirt when they played in a tournament against Argentina and Mexico.

I didn’t tell him about the hockey/football street smarts discussion that was going on here!

Please, please tell me you're from Cornwall, ON. Because I just picked that randomly, rather than call out other towns in the Ottawa Valley (where I'm from). 

4 minutes ago, kingvikingstad said:

We won't be out-talented by either of these teams, thats for sure. Not impressed with the level of this game at all, nor am I convinced Chile is much better than Peru.

The difference between the two sides is just that Chile has more movement and ideas and creativity going forward which makes them more dangerous, whereas Peru doesn't have much offensive creativity, just looking for set pieces and corners to generate chances

I have only been half watching because of my focus on the Oilers game but nothing I have seen is really fear inducing.  Pretty sure our boys won’t be intimidated by whining and moaning.  We may or may not do it over 90 minutes but both these teams are beatable.  And the scenario of them only getting one point each from the opener is only 10 minutes away.   

2 hours ago, red card said:

1.1m average across TSN/CTV/RDS watched Canada/Argentina. Peak was 1.6m. Reach was 3.1m.

For those who said it was going to be the biggest match ever for Canada. It wasn't in terms of tv audience. The audience is lower than any of the 3 Qatar matches. Morocco match had lowest audience at 1.48m average (English only).

It's also lower than clinching WCQ match vs Jamaica of 1.65m average. But in line with Mexico WCQ (Edmonton) & USA WCQ (Hamilton) audiences.

Commercially, it was also of much lower engagement than Qatar as I only saw 1 Canada Soccer sponsor with an ad during the telecast. BMO also didn't book any Davies ads.

The casual fan already understands the significance of the WC. The significance of the Copa still needs to be built up here. 1.1m is a good number.

32 minutes ago, kingvikingstad said:

A little bit. It's the whole package though, not just the physicality. There's something mentally and emotionally exhausting about the faking, complaining, ref swarming, arguing, dirty plays behind the run of play that breaks people. It's like playing 11 Richies.

Hmmm recesses of Europe... sort of like playing Astra Giurgiu (I'm also a West Ham supporter lol)!

Ha. Yeah. The bad old days of Europe.

But more recently the little Serbian team last year, the Romanian team the year before and Larnaca felt a bit like this.  

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Chile faded as the game went on.  They might struggle with our pace.

I would say that Peru really showed nothing offensively all game but they were pretty organized defensively. 

I don’t think 4 points is unreasonable at all - it needs to be our expectation.

4 points minimum 6 points maximum if you win both games against Chile 🇨🇱 and Peru 🇵🇪...Argentina is getting 9 points