Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

10 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

You expect Canadians to wear the other team's shirt?  That's crazy.

Crazy is as crazy does.

A lot of Canadians are fairweather bandwagoners, especially when it comes to Canadian soccer fans.  

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

A lot of Canadians are fairweather bandwagoners, especially when it comes to Canadian soccer fans.  

Even if we won tonight I doubt it would change.

Speaking of which, I saw an article from CBS Sports earlier today. 

Prediction

Expect a tight start which finishes with a narrow win for Argentina but an encouraging result for Canada all the same. Sclaoni's men should go on to top the group but results against Peru and Chile will dictate Marsch and his players' fate -- not the world champions. Pick: Argentina 1, Canada 0.

1 hour ago, red card said:

TSN is following US network strategy of promoting USA! USA! USA! upcoming game at every opportunity. And TSN has been 2-3x promoting Canada at Copa America more than Fox promo for Copa during their Euro coverage. Fox's promos have also been a bit more balanced between Argentina & USA matches.

What I find sad is it's just soo evident TSN just markets their own product, they have the rights for the tournament so they push it.  It has absolutely nothing to do with sports coverage, reporting and results.  Actual journalism is dead.  

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

To the surprise of nobody.

Yes,  I saw this also in Qatar a few times.  Was once chatting with one guy from Montreal on the subway in Doha and he spotted me wearing a Canada jersey.  Asked me where I am from and I told him.  He said he was from Montreal and was wearing an Argentina jersey.  At one point in the conversation I asked if he was Argentinian and he mention that his background was Colombian and not at all Argentinian but he was there to watch the Argentina matches.  He didn't go to any Canada games.  

Argentina Jersey's were by far the most numerous.  Especially the locals there.   But given the travel distance and the economic situation in Argentina (i.e.: hyper inflation and constant currency devaluations), traveling abroad must be extremely prohibitive for the average Argentinian.

Edited by Free kick

50 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes,  I saw this also in Qatar a few times.  Was once chatting with one guy from Montreal on the subway in Doha and he spotted me wearing a Canada jersey.  Asked me where I am from and I told him.  He said he was from Montreal and was wearing an Argentina jersey.  At one point in the conversation I asked if he was Argentinian and he mention that his background was Colombian and not at all Argentinian but he was there to watch the Argentina matches.  He didn't go to any Canada games.  

Argentina Jersey's were by far the most numerous.  Especially the locals there.   But given the travel distance and the economic situation in Argentina (i.e.: hyper inflation and constant currency devaluations), traveling abroad must be extremely prohibitive for the average Argentinian.

What a weirdo

16 hours ago, Free kick said:

Was at the Montreal game on Wednesday- I think we and my buddy counted a dozen Argentina shirts. Weird to wear to an MLS game, but slightly less weird than the guy in the inter Miami Messi jersey in the supporters section confused as to why he was asked to leave or go shirtless. 

So for the Chile v Peru match tonight, I think the best result for us would be a draw. Then we would get through with a win and a draw, assuming Argentina win all 3 of their games. And I suppose we would have an outside shot of going through on 2 draws, still assuming Argentina win all 3 of their games, but we would have to win in a 3 way tie breaker.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

So for the Chile v Peru match tonight, I think the best result for us would be a draw. Then we would get through with a win and a draw, assuming Argentina win all 3 of their games. And I suppose we would have an outside shot of going through on 2 draws, still assuming Argentina win all 3 of their games, but we would have to win in a 3 way tie breaker.

A draw is the best result, yes, but you forgot to also request lots of yellow and red cards and maybe a few injuries :)

40 minutes ago, nolando said:

I guess we are all scouting this one tonight, right?

Screenshot_20240621_154810_Chrome.jpg.640f0e251efad93bbc8b8ab7f4cb49a8.jpg

Claudio Bravo in net, having played very little in La Liga this season.

Pretty old Chile team it looks like. Six starters 30 and older Isla, Sanchez and Bravo 35 or older. Others are a good mixe of high level Mexican or South American-based players with a few decent level Europeans sides represented -  Norwich, CSKA Moscow and Toulouse.

Nunez at Norwich I know a bit - skilled passer, decent set pieces, one of their top 4-5 players. 

Peru has a veteran CB Callens playing in Greece on loan from Girona. Advincula (Boca Juniors) is captain, another 34 year old - playing striker (Lapadula) plays for Cagliari in Serie A.  Sergio Pena plays with Cornelius at Malmo.  The rest are mix of domestic league and MLS.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1.1m average across TSN/CTV/RDS watched Canada/Argentina. Peak was 1.6m. Reach was 3.1m.

For those who said it was going to be the biggest match ever for Canada. It wasn't in terms of tv audience. The audience is lower than any of the 3 Qatar matches. Morocco match had lowest audience at 1.48m average (English only).

It's also lower than clinching WCQ match vs Jamaica of 1.65m average. But in line with Mexico WCQ (Edmonton) & USA WCQ (Hamilton) audiences.

Commercially, it was also of much lower engagement than Qatar as I only saw 1 Canada Soccer sponsor with an ad during the telecast. BMO also didn't book any Davies ads.

Edited by red card