Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

8 hours ago, MtlMario said:

On the TSN panel there's a Englishman, a Scot and a Irishman, now all they need is a Welshman. I wonder if Tom Jones is available(only Welshman I know😊).

I'm certain you know at least one more. Terry Jones of Monty Python fame. He died but that shouldn't stop TSN from having him on the panel. (That joke was in the spirit of Monty Python.)

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Had a few bucks left in my ALC account online so I bet $4 that we would tie Argentina and $2 that we would win the tournament.  Along with a long shot futures bet that TFC win MLS I am pretty much tapped out.  I only opened the account for an insurance bet against Canada in the final Copa qualification game so it is basically house money anyway.  

With the bets you just made it certainly is house money now.

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I'm certain you know at least one more. Terry Jones of Monty Python fame. He died but that shouldn't stop TSN from having him on the panel. (That joke was in the spirit of Monty Python.)

I had a Early Modern Lit. Prof at the  U of T that was a proud Welshman.  He probably doesn't know that much more than any of us about football but he could still be in the area and he loves to talk. 

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

All of it. You don't grow your community by shitting on it. 

This is the most nonsensical illogical thing I've read on here in a while, and I don't have anyone on ignore.

Didn't realize that pointing out that bigger teams often send B squads to the gold cup was an attempt to sabotage the community 

Interesting odds. 

seems mostly based on reputation rather than earned. 

Brazil’s odds seem high; US is higher than Columbia in spite of being smacked by them the other day.

Ecuador should be higher than Mexico based on recent form. 

And Canada should be closer to Chile and likely ahead of Peru

Jamaica seems very low

7 minutes ago, weathermanfran said:

Saw the Argentina bus came in last night around 9 PM. Masses of their fans chanting "Messi Messi". Unbelievable passion.

About 5 mins earlier I saw Atiba Hutchinson and Paul Stalteri walking by the growing crowd. I recognized them and said "Atiba, Paul! Go Canada!", they gave me a thumbs up and wave on the way by.

I just met with my contacts at CS and bumped into Kevin Blue.  They are excited but even at their team hotel, the Argentinians outnumber Canadians significantly.  We are gonna be in tough with all these opposing fans.

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think the Gold Cup can ever become a big event here. I think the Copa can become bigger. TSN showing it last time was a start. TSN showing it this time with Canada in it is the next step. But if the Copa drops back to "South America only", I think it will drop back (here) in importance.

La Copa America,  this is the way 

10 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

It's a real shame la joya didn't get called up he's too good to not bring even just to rest Messi in the last 10 minutes.

Got married with Gabriela Sabatini !!

Edited by JAVIERF

8 hours ago, Kent said:

Regarding flags and buzz. In my neighborhood in Toronto I have just seen a couple of Euro flags on cars. Not many at all. In the last week or two I've seen a handful of Canada jerseys/shirts. I remember 2 for sure. A young kid wearing a Davies jersey, and a father wearing a Canada Soccer t shirt (or is that the white jersey maybe?). As for chatter, I keep getting asked if I'm watching the Euro's, or before it started if I'm ready for the Euro's. I keep telling people sure I'll watch it, but I'm most excited for the Copa America. Nobody has been to interested in talking about it though. Some knew it was coming, some knew Canada was playing in it, some didn't know about it at all. That was mostly before the tournament started. The Euro's being on TSN has given them a chance to plug the Copa America, so I'm sure a lot more people know it's coming up now.

P.S. This hype video is good.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/canada-gets-set-for-biggest-test-yet~2942175

EUROCOPA In Argentina has been broadcasted live on national television since 1988 when Ronnie Whelan scored that classic goal, the best ever goal scored in an EUROCOPA finals.  That was an 8 team event that Eire almost got Holland ( the champion) eliminated.

51 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Battle of Peachtree doesn't have the same ring as Thermopylae 😁

Wrong 

It is an eleven a side sport 

The impossible can happen ,  Canada could play cohesively for once at least and not looking disjointed as with Jamaica at home and Vs T and T

4 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Catherine Zeta would be good choice and she is crazy mad about football,  she could be better pundit as many on the telly bar the aRte of Brady Dunphy and Giles they are the Celtic XIRINGUITO 

8 hours ago, Soro17 said:

Kilbane isn't really Irish. English born and raised. Today's panel was a breath of fresh air for those of us that would prefer non-British Isles' points of view.  

Kilbane is like the actor Robert Shaw born in England but never felt it.  Irishmen to the core,  buddy

8 hours ago, Soro17 said:

Kilbane isn't really Irish. English born and raised.   

That maybe true that he's born and raised in England but he also said on TSN that he would NEVER play for England.  That makes him Irish.

Edited by MtlMario

Kloke's coverage of the training days had some interesting tidbits.

“People underestimate (Argentina’s) edge. They can be downright nasty sometimes. And because they’re winners, they don’t want to ever back down,” Marsch said. Does Canada have that edge in them? “Not yet. Truly,” Marsch said. “We have to not be so naive. We have to grow up.”

The uber-enthusiastic and oft-optimistic Marsch has stopped sessions to let his players see the other, less enthusiastic side of his coaching persona. The overall harmony between coaches and players feels like a thing of the past for Canada. 

Players have left the training pitch with expressionless faces, having been put through the kind of intensity few are familiar with in a Canada camp.

On the field and in team meetings, Marsch has challenged his best players to improve in ways they haven’t been challenged to in the past: don’t jog when you can sprint; don’t go into a 50-50 challenge if you’re not prepared to do it with your entire body and get a little nasty; don’t enter team functions, even meals, without the seriousness in your demeanour you’d show in the most important game of your life.

Euro 2024 has provided the backdrop for planning. When the coaching staff gathers for tactical planning sessions, they’ve done so with Euros games on big screens. Discussion about what each coach sees is constant. Tactical ideas bounce off the walls.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5573055/2024/06/19/canada-jesse-marsch-copa-america/

Goals.jpg

Age.jpg

Edited by red card

2 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

With the way he said it I do not think it would of mattered.

It was a joke but easy for him to say if he knows people like Joe Cole, Tricky Trev Sinclair, , even prime Stewart Downing are ahead of him on that side. 

Declan Rice was a proud "Irish" kid until England came calling.