Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

3 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I do not know how it is in the rest of Canada but so far here in MTL all I've seen are European flags, no Canada or South American flags. Hope it changes later but it's too bad these 2 tournaments are basically at the same time.☹️

3 hours ago, nolando said:

Agreed out here in Vancouver. Euro flags and kits everywhere. I've seen a couple of South American jerseys only from people born there, and not many. Except for a few kindred spirits, my football mad friends are only talking Euros. Copa America is being discussed like the Canadian national teams usually are, "oh yah, I hear that's on, too?"

I haven't done a pulse check on Calgary yet, but I imagine it's the same. Certainly with the lads I play with the talk is all about the euros in our group chat. I expect I will be the one bringing up Copa America and Canada, as per usual.

What I do want to say though is 3 things:

1) Let's wait until the Copa America actually starts. Messi fever is at an all time high in North America. Argentina are the current world cup holders, their stock in the public concisouness is at an all-time high this decade. I think we'll see a big pick up once the tournament actually starts.

2) In Canada we are still firmly in the Eurosphere. I do expect things to pick up, but we cannot expect the focus to be split 50-50 with the Euros. If Copa America even gets half the attention as the Euros, that's a win. Moreover, if Canada make noise I think it's going to drag the Copa America into the public view. People will naturally be drawn in. 

3) I actually like how they are overlapping with the Euros. I think Copa America in Canada will actually benefit from this, since people are already in soccer watching mode. If it were just Copa America, perhaps there wouldn't be enough pull, but with Euros on during the day time, the evenings will fill the void of people still craving that soccer coverage. 

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

The Gold Cup has always been a big event, as has Copa. Regardless of whether Canadian media acknowledges that 

If teams are sending their "B teams" to the tournament, which the Gold Cup has had frequently, it's not a big event. 

Regarding flags and buzz. In my neighborhood in Toronto I have just seen a couple of Euro flags on cars. Not many at all. In the last week or two I've seen a handful of Canada jerseys/shirts. I remember 2 for sure. A young kid wearing a Davies jersey, and a father wearing a Canada Soccer t shirt (or is that the white jersey maybe?). As for chatter, I keep getting asked if I'm watching the Euro's, or before it started if I'm ready for the Euro's. I keep telling people sure I'll watch it, but I'm most excited for the Copa America. Nobody has been to interested in talking about it though. Some knew it was coming, some knew Canada was playing in it, some didn't know about it at all. That was mostly before the tournament started. The Euro's being on TSN has given them a chance to plug the Copa America, so I'm sure a lot more people know it's coming up now.

P.S. This hype video is good.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/canada-gets-set-for-biggest-test-yet~2942175

12 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Don't be daft 

I'm confused on which part of his message you're not agreeing to? We literally sent a B team last year. I'm sure my memory is failing me on if any of these were big injuries and i apologize, but I'm sure they weren't all. We were down stak, Davies, David, Alistair, larin, tajon, and kone. Undoubtedly 6 or 7 starters depending on your love of the Larin-David pairing

4 hours ago, MtlMario said:

On the TSN panel there's a Englishman, a Scot and a Irishman, now all they need is a Welshman. I wonder if Tom Jones is available(only Welshman I know😊).

Kilbane isn't really Irish. English born and raised. Today's panel was a breath of fresh air for those of us that would prefer non-British Isles' points of view.  

7 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

I'm confused on which part of his message you're not agreeing to? We literally sent a B team last year. I'm sure my memory is failing me on if any of these were big injuries and i apologize, but I'm sure they weren't all. We were down stak, Davies, David, Alistair, larin, tajon, and kone. Undoubtedly 6 or 7 starters depending on your love of the Larin-David pairing

All of it. You don't grow your community by shitting on it. 

13 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

All of it. You don't grow your community by shitting on it. 

Canada won the 2000 Gold Cup. It was on Sportsnet. The media reported it everywhere. No one outside of people who were already fans gave a shit. We've held Canada games in Toronto and not even remotely sold it out.

You can like the Gold Cup. It's a rare time when we know Canada is playing. But you're daft if you think it's a big deal, and it's not the medias fault it's not bigger.

I'm on my way to Atlanta at 6am tommorow!! 

17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I’m in Atlanta and watching coverage on FS1 and FOX.  Makes you appreciate TSN much more.

Also, being downtown, there isn’t much buzz for Copa except for the gang of Argentina/Messi fans that hang out outside the team hotel (Westin Peachtree).

I'm heading to Atlanta at 6am tomorrow morning!! Will say Hi at the game!! 

Let's go Canada!!

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

What we can be honest about on here - the most converted - and what we might say to friends and family to inform and encourage might be different

Not really when the person you're interacting with is one of the biggest detractors of the local game. There are a few of them on here 

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

What are you basing this on. Did we see a sudden spike in attendance post-GC win? Was viewership up for the WC qualifying games?

Direct contact with people 

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Awesome. I had direct contact with people too. Sports fans. They didn't even know what it was or care that we won.

And you think that's enough to argue that no one cared when others provide a different experience?

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

And you think that's enough to argue that no one cared when others provide a different experience?

No, that's why I asked for more empirical data like "attendance and viewership post-win" and wasn't attempting to rely on whatever bubbles win live in.

Had a few bucks left in my ALC account online so I bet $4 that we would tie Argentina and $2 that we would win the tournament.  Along with a long shot futures bet that TFC win MLS I am pretty much tapped out.  I only opened the account for an insurance bet against Canada in the final Copa qualification game so it is basically house money anyway.  

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Regarding flags and buzz. In my neighborhood in Toronto I have just seen a couple of Euro flags on cars. Not many at all. In the last week or two I've seen a handful of Canada jerseys/shirts. I remember 2 for sure. A young kid wearing a Davies jersey, and a father wearing a Canada Soccer t shirt (or is that the white jersey maybe?). As for chatter, I keep getting asked if I'm watching the Euro's, or before it started if I'm ready for the Euro's. I keep telling people sure I'll watch it, but I'm most excited for the Copa America. Nobody has been to interested in talking about it though. Some knew it was coming, some knew Canada was playing in it, some didn't know about it at all. That was mostly before the tournament started. The Euro's being on TSN has given them a chance to plug the Copa America, so I'm sure a lot more people know it's coming up now.

P.S. This hype video is good.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/canada-gets-set-for-biggest-test-yet~2942175

Had to be in Belleville today for work and saw a guy in an Argentina jersey. 

Meanwhile back in Woodbridge it's all Italy and Portugal car flags. I've seen one car with an Albania flag.

I did get passed by a car with Uruguay flags today at school pick up

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

Had to be in Belleville today for work and saw a guy in an Argentina jersey. 

Meanwhile back in Woodbridge it's all Italy and Portugal car flags. I've seen one car with an Albania flag.

I did get passed by a car with Uruguay flags today at school pick up

I remember visiting home for, among other things, the two Edmonton games in November '21.  We were also visiting family in Southern Alberta and I saw so many vehicles with Canada flags in the days before. 

I thought : "people have really got into soccer in last few years", but in my out of country ignorance I missed the whole Freedom convoy thing.  (Reaction to that depends on your politics I guess.)