Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

3 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

....................Creapeau...............

Layrea  Bombito Cornélius Davies 

Eustaquio.     Koné    Millar

Shaffelburg.   David    Buchanan 

Is the team Scaloni Aimar , Ayala and Walter Samuel  are expecting from Canada and the one they practised in the camp

Sure...because Argentina is expecting the Shaff to terrorize them. I'm pretty sure the Argentina coaches have a firmer grip on reality than you do. 🙄

50 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I've read a few posters denigrating Caldwell and Kilbane. I find their analysis and insights very helpful.

I find Caldwell's game colour commentary more inane than his "analysis". Relies on clichés like: "he should have done better there", "you have to hit the target from there", "he'll be disappointed with that", etc.

As for their analysis, it's fine. It's all just fluff anyways. 

30mins devoted to "How do you stop Messi?" or "How does Canada beat Argentine?" is going to be nonsense anyways.

If anyone had the answer, Argentina would not be #1.

Edited by PastPros

14 minutes ago, PastPros said:

I find Caldwell's game colour commentary more inane than his "analysis". Relies on clichés like: "he should have done better there", "you have to hit the target from there", "he'll be disappointed with that", etc.

30mins devoted to "How do you stop Messi?" or "How does Canada beat Argentine?" is going to be nonsense anyways.

There are cliche commentators everywhere.

In their analysis, their tendency to talk over each other and any third host when they get "excited" would probably be weeded out in a lot of other broadcasts.

My two cents.

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I do not know how it is in the rest of Canada but so far here in MTL all I've seen are European flags, no Canada or South American flags. Hope it changes later but it's too bad these 2 tournaments are basically at the same time.☹️

Agreed out here in Vancouver. Euro flags and kits everywhere. I've seen a couple of South American jerseys only from people born there, and not many. Except for a few kindred spirits, my football mad friends are only talking Euros. Copa America is being discussed like the Canadian national teams usually are, "oh yah, I hear that's on, too?"

1 minute ago, MtlMario said:

.... it's too bad these 2 tournaments are basically at the same time.☹️

Agree, but I do hope that Copa going forward will include 4-6 Concaf teams. There's a big drop off in levels after the top 4/6 teams and the Gold Cup is becoming a tournament for 2nd tier squads at least for the top 4. So this is the only high level competition available.  From a marketing, infrastructure and profitability perspective having it in the US is also desirable.

55 minutes ago, PastPros said:

I hope I can make this point without sounding xenophobic: anyone settling in to a match with Caldwell on colour who hasn't heard him speak before will spend several seconds wondering what language he is speaking before beginning to decipher his accent. 

30 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I do not know how it is in the rest of Canada but so far here in MTL all I've seen are European flags, no Canada or South American flags. Hope it changes later but it's too bad these 2 tournaments are basically at the same time.☹️

21 minutes ago, nolando said:

Agreed out here in Vancouver. Euro flags and kits everywhere. I've seen a couple of South American jerseys only from people born there, and not many. Except for a few kindred spirits, my football mad friends are only talking Euros. Copa America is being discussed like the Canadian national teams usually are, "oh yah, I hear that's on, too?"

IMHO, we can thank the media for a generation now hyping up the Euros while almost ignoring the Copa America/Gold Cup.  All of the Copa America matches being televised on Canadian cable is still a relatively new thing.

I remember in the early 90s, coverage of the Euros was almost non-existent.  So you really did not see all the flag waving you see today.  It wasn't until TSN televised the entire '96 tournament when things started to change.

3 hours ago, longlugan said:

Sure...because Argentina is expecting the Shaff to terrorize them. I'm pretty sure the Argentina coaches have a firmer grip on reality than you do. 🙄

It appears on Olé you smartie ,  didn't Shaffelburg scored two or 3 times against Messi the later times ?

Just now, JAVIERF said:

It appears on Olé you smartie ,  didn't Shaffelburg scored two or 3 times against Messi the later times ?

Thank you for the compliment but I don't think I'd use that word to describe you. There is however a plethora of adjectives to describe your takes on here. Anyways I find you tiring now so I'm going to chat with my buddy Ozzie about the meaning of life...or as he likes to call it 'Accurate CPL Attendance Figures'.

On 6/17/2024 at 1:00 PM, JAVIERF said:

The southest country and the Bergoglio's country (a k.a The Pope) will line up with 

Martinez

Montiel 

Romero 

Otamendi

Niko Gonzaléz 

Macallister

Lo Celso 

DePaul 

Messi 

Lautaro 

Julián Álvarez 

Paredes to start and If Otamendi doesn't start Lisandro will play.

Martínez 

Molina 

Romero 

Otamendi/Lisandro 

Tagliafico 

De Paul

Paredes 

Macallister 

Messi 

Lautaro 

Niko Gonzaléz 

Edited by JAVIERF

2 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Thank you for the compliment but I don't think I'd use that word to describe you. There is however a plethora of adjectives to describe your takes on here. Anyways I find you tiring now so I'm going to chat with my buddy Ozzie about the meaning of life...or as he likes to call it 'Accurate CPL Attendance Figures'.

Of course you can't since you can't use sarcasm.  

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

On the TSN panel there's a Englishman, a Scot and a Irishman, now all they need is a Welshman. I wonder if Tom Jones is available(only Welshman I know😊).

Where are the Danny Imhoff of life or MacKenna or Olivier Occean? Pewchisolido Corazzin ? De jong ?   Aren't there any canadians to discuss 

4 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Paredes to start and If Otamendi doesn't start Lisandro will play.

Martínez 

Molina 

Romero 

Otamendi/Lisandro 

Tagliafico 

De Paul

Paredes 

Macallister 

Messi 

Lautaro 

Niko Gonzaléz 

It's a real shame la joya didn't get called up he's too good to not bring even just to rest Messi in the last 10 minutes.

2 hours ago, Metro said:

IMHO, we can thank the media for a generation now hyping up the Euros while almost ignoring the Copa America/Gold Cup.  All of the Copa America matches being televised on Canadian cable is still a relatively new thing.

I remember in the early 90s, coverage of the Euros was almost non-existent.  So you really did not see all the flag waving you see today.  It wasn't until TSN televised the entire '96 tournament when things started to change.

I don't think the Gold Cup can ever become a big event here. I think the Copa can become bigger. TSN showing it last time was a start. TSN showing it this time with Canada in it is the next step. But if the Copa drops back to "South America only", I think it will drop back (here) in importance.

14 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think the Gold Cup can ever become a big event here. I think the Copa can become bigger. TSN showing it last time was a start. TSN showing it this time with Canada in it is the next step. But if the Copa drops back to "South America only", I think it will drop back (here) in importance.

The Gold Cup has always been a big event, as has Copa. Regardless of whether Canadian media acknowledges that