Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Bit of new information on the Ugbo drop: per Marsch, for personal reasons he decided to take a break.

Edit: I'd like to use Bluesky more, but it's still a bit of a pain in the ass.

I guess this opens up the door for Arfield again! 

Imagine that, guys allowed to take breaks for personal reasons and not get exiled.  What a time to be alive and a CANMNT fan.  

9 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Waterman is replacing someone 

I'm guessing Marsch saw the tail end of the game last night where Waterman played in the 6 spot and looked great. Jesse said to himself that's my 6.

Kidding aside, I've been thinking for a while Waterman might make a great 6. His defensive awareness and  passes are the best part of his game. That would free up Kone and Eustaquio to play further up the pitch or have 2 sixes (Waterman & Eustaquio) with Kone as an 8.

Edited by Sal333

Just now, TGAA_Star said:

Waterman is a defender but yet we replace an attacking player Hoilett with a defender...SMH makes no sense to me

Not only this,  as it stands Waterman will wear the classic #10 Canadian shirt destined for a playmaker ( Imhoff/ hoilett-xausa-aunger-johnson) or a rather skilled forward ( radzinski- Simeon Jackson -vrabic-peschisolido)

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I'm guessing Marsch saw the tail end of the game last night where Waterman played in the 6 spot and looked great. Jesse said to himself that's my 6.

Kidding aside, I've been thinking for a while Waterman might make a great 6. His defensive awareness and  passes are the best part of his game. That would free up Kone and Eustaquio to play further up the pitch or have 2 sixes (Waterman & Eustaquio) with Kone as an 8.

He was a 6 by trade in college and was turned into a ball-playing CB by Wheeldon jr.

He's probably best suited to being the middle guy in a back three but otherwise he could probably do a job at the 6. I don't know how I feel about that against good teams but I'm guessing Marsch just likes his profile.

9 hours ago, costarg said:

Imagine that, guys allowed to take breaks for personal reasons and not get exiled.  What a time to be alive and a CANMNT fan.  

Maybe he's got a lot to sort out on the club side. His parent club got relegated to 3rd tier in France and his current club survived relegation from the Championship, but may not be able to afford to bring him back. He's British as well and hasn't played at "home" in a few seasons now, so maybe some loose ends need to be tied up from a personal standpoint, especially if it's not clear if he'll return to the UK? Who knows, but I am not worried about it.

Also gives someone like Bair an opportunity and we are stacked at forward so it's good to remove a bit of the logjam. We will see him again.

Edited by Obinna

18 hours ago, phil03 said:

Yeah, I am not blaming Ugbo here and I am not worried for him. He really had a rotten luck in recent years.

Troyes should have been it: he played a key role in saving them from relegation and realistically he should have established himself as a regular double-digit scorer in Ligue 1. Instead they fired the coach, thinking they could get better, and the new guy frozed Ugbo out, even when Troyes was actually getting relegated and he might be able to change things.

He find a spot in Championship in Cardiff, does ok but for some reasons need a loan elsewhere, where he does quite good. Is it any wonder the guy want to take some time to make sure he can stick to Sheffield Wednesday for the time being and recharge his batteries?

Yeah to me this seems like his club career is way too uncertain so he wanted to deal with that before anything else, which is understandable.

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe he's got a lot to sort out on the club side. His parent club got relegated to 3rd tier in France and his current club survived relegation from the Championship, but may not be able to afford to bring him back. He's British as well and hasn't played at "home" in a few seasons now, so maybe some loose ends need to be tied up from a personal standpoint, especially if it's not clear if he'll return to the UK? Who knows, but I am not worried about it.

Also gives someone like Bair an opportunity and we are stacked at forward so it's good to remove a bit of the logjam. We will see him again.

Ok, but I think they should avoid these statements that colour the decision, like he decided to leave. Which means he's slighted Canada and refused a callup basically. Which is sanctionable in fact.

Just say he's out and won't continue. Our press doesn't care enough to really want an accurate answer.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It's a 26 man squad.

Players in a 23 man squad often don't see the field.   Let alone see decent minutes.  We have 3 similars strikers, at least.

I really like what he did with Wednesday but I like what others have done and he needs to find a good situation to continue his momentum. 

55 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ok, but I think they should avoid these statements that colour the decision, like he decided to leave. Which means he's slighted Canada and refused a callup basically. Which is sanctionable in fact.

Just say he's out and won't continue. Our press doesn't care enough to really want an accurate answer.

As a fan I want more information, not less. Give it to me straight, you know? If he is declining a call up for personal matters, then it is what it is. Life happens. I'd rather be given that information than simply saying he's out, without any context.

11 hours ago, costarg said:

How do you figure? Arfield is 36 now and not to mention he hasn't played for us in years. Ugbo on the other hand I don't hold this against him at all. He'll be back unlike some.