Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

37 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

I find it quite hilarious that I still hear pundits/randoms claim that we had a "disappointing" showing at the World Cup. Like wtf did you expect in that group? We got our goal, we played at a competitive level for the most part, and we came very close to upsetting one of the best teams on the planet. That narrative needs to die imo. Anyways, clearly we should win our group here.

Edit:😉

I don't think anyone ever criticized the results at the WC.  It was more how it happened.  A lot like Scotland yesterday, it's not the score line, it's that they had no plan or even an attempt to adapt to the situation. 

Would assume he's sticking to a 4-4-2

Only moderate surprises are Hiebert and McGill.  McGill makes sense though, gives the other guys a chance to focus on clubs

Gawd are we ever thin at CB.  Aside from the starting 2, it's a serious dropoff and risk.  We just don't know what to expect from LDF and Miller.  Hiebert just does not  belong, but neither do any of the other options really.  At least Hiebert has some versatility I guess, as well as playing the system Marsch wants to see.  Probably won him the spot

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

You know in the olden days, we used to moan about players who didn't get called (who we thought should) or those who wouldn't show up.  Doesn't seem to happen much anymore, kinda nice.

But at times we had legitimate reasons to moan about certain players not being chosen. I remember an Eddy Berdusco not being chosen for I think an Olympic team or an U 20 team . At the time he was one of the top scorers in the old CSL but was left off for players from unattached FC . Yup some head scratching decisions back in the day when our player pool was very small.

12 minutes ago, costarg said:

Would assume he's sticking to a 4-4-2

Only moderate surprises are Hiebert and McGill.  McGill makes sense though, gives the other guys a chance to focus on clubs

Gawd are we ever thin at CB.  Aside from the starting 2, it's a serious dropoff and risk.  We just don't know what to expect from LDF and Miller.  Hiebert just does not  belong, but neither do any of the other options really.  At least Hiebert has some versatility I guess, as well as playing the system Marsch wants to see.  Probably won him the spot

Yeah against Argentina I doubt we stay 4-4-2

55 minutes ago, king1010 said:

He lost his starting spot in April. In the last 7 games, he started Twice. One of those he was subbed off at half. 3 of the 7 games he never got off the bench. 

his form isn’t there. 

I'm not saying call him, but I still think it's pretty harsh to say he's riding the bench. He was an important part of their squad and he played an awful lot more than some players that were selected and in the same league as other players on the team

Though I truly feel that he has not been as impactful at club level so far this season because of closer and more physical defensive scrutiny, Ahmed demostrates a 1 v 1 boldness and trickery that we lack in our attacking midfield play, so his inclusion is a plus.

As for other guys left out, Fraser might be the US-based, last minute Chris Pozniak type replacement but as I suggested earlier, I really don't think he is a Marsch style of midfielder.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I'm not saying call him, but I still think it's pretty harsh to say he's riding the bench. He was an important part of their squad and he played an awful lot more than some players that were selected and in the same league as other players on the team

Its absolutely fair. The stats I provided in my previous post justify it. He has indeed been riding the bench the last quarter of the season. 

I’m a little surprised at the surprise of Ugbo being dropped. I don’t buy that he was given a rest - I think that’s just protecting him for his upcoming contract negotiations. If you look at the squad there is no room for him and I wouldn’t have him over any of the strikers called. 

9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’m a little surprised at the surprise of Ugbo being dropped. I don’t buy that he was given a rest - I think that’s just protecting him for his upcoming contract negotiations. If you look at the squad there is no room for him and I wouldn’t have him over any of the strikers called. 

Let’s be honest, with the extra striker positions after David and Larin, Marsch is probably looking at people’s potential as a later sub.  That will most likely be to either press like hell to finish out a defensive effort and preserve a result, or create something on offence to try and get something out of a game we are losing.   It is very plausible to me that Marsch sees Bair and JRR as offering more for those two specific scenarios than Ugbo.  

Yeah, I am not blaming Ugbo here and I am not worried for him. He really had a rotten luck in recent years.

Troyes should have been it: he played a key role in saving them from relegation and realistically he should have established himself as a regular double-digit scorer in Ligue 1. Instead they fired the coach, thinking they could get better, and the new guy frozed Ugbo out, even when Troyes was actually getting relegated and he might be able to change things.

He find a spot in Championship in Cardiff, does ok but for some reasons need a loan elsewhere, where he does quite good. Is it any wonder the guy want to take some time to make sure he can stick to Sheffield Wednesday for the time being and recharge his batteries?

1 hour ago, phil03 said:

Yeah, I am not blaming Ugbo here and I am not worried for him. He really had a rotten luck in recent years.

Troyes should have been it: he played a key role in saving them from relegation and realistically he should have established himself as a regular double-digit scorer in Ligue 1. Instead they fired the coach, thinking they could get better, and the new guy frozed Ugbo out, even when Troyes was actually getting relegated and he might be able to change things.

He find a spot in Championship in Cardiff, does ok but for some reasons need a loan elsewhere, where he does quite good. Is it any wonder the guy want to take some time to make sure he can stick to Sheffield Wednesday for the time being and recharge his batteries?

He’s not going to be with Wednesday next season. I cheekily asked him in the airport where he was off to and he just laughed and said he wasn’t sure yet. 

Like I said, I don’t buy that he asked for a break. I think that’s just a manager protecting his player at a crucial time. Makes no sense why he would need a break and skip a once in a lifetime tournament but be all good to show up for friendlies… 

Edited by CanadaFan123

35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Like I said, I don’t buy that he asked for a break. I think that’s just a manager protecting his player at a crucial time. Makes no sense why he would need a break and skip a once in a lifetime tournament but be all good to show up for friendlies… 

I respectfully disagree. Sometimes you just don't know when things catch up with you until it actually happen if that makes sense?

5 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I like Marsch description of South American play of having a hardened edge, savviness in what is needed in matches and different level of intelligence in what it takes to be winners. 

Speaking of hardened edge, Colombia/Bolivia friendly in Hartford led to a bench-clearing scuffle after Luis Diaz was chopped down - though Bolivian player's reckless tackle largely missed. Diaz walked away on his own but was subbed off soon after. Some reds & yellows in a 3-0 Los Cafeteros win.