Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

56 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Did we know Bair was going?   That is cool for him.   

He was on the friendly team but didn't play. It is interesting that some of the players Marsch did play are the ones he then cut. So I'm guessing he'd maybe seen enough from Bair that he'd made the Copa team. Hope to see him on the pitch now.

Edited by Watchmen

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

He was on the friendly team but didn't play. It is interesting that some of the players Marsch did play are the ones the then cut. So I'm guessing he'd maybe seen enough from Bair that he'd made the Copa team. Hope to see him on the pitch now.

He offers something a little different than those in the squad (and those left off).

None of the teams we are facing are particulary huge, so if we need a goal late on, pumping things into the box and having him outmuscle people is a not the worst idea out there.  

On 6/13/2024 at 1:28 PM, RS said:

It's almost surely Hiebert who's dropped.

Well well well...

https://www.stlcitysc.com/news/kyle-hiebert-selected-for-canadian-mens-national-team-2024-copa-america-roster

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Looks like Ugbo is the odd man out.

It seemed odd to me that it would be Hiebert that would be cut given that we have too many strikers and not enough defenders.

I find Oluwaseyi, Larin and Ugbo to all have a similar profile; it would be weird to have all three in the squad.

14 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

You know in the olden days, we used to moan about players who didn't get called (who we thought should) or those who wouldn't show up.  Doesn't seem to happen much anymore, kinda nice.

The only guy I'll moan about is Loturi but even then that's just cause I personally rate him. Things are much better now lol.

18 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

You know in the olden days, we used to moan about players who didn't get called (who we thought should) or those who wouldn't show up.  Doesn't seem to happen much anymore, kinda nice.

Crazy what happens when a coach applies common sense and plays a logical formation with people in their real positions.

14 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Current rankings of our WC and Copa America groups:

Belgium - 3

Croatia - 10

Morocco - 13

Argentina - 1

Peru - 32

Chile - 42 

I find it quite hilarious that I still hear pundits/randoms claim that we had a "disappointing" showing at the World Cup. Like wtf did you expect in that group? We got our goal, we played at a competitive level for the most part, and we came very close to upsetting one of the best teams on the planet. That narrative needs to die imo. Anyways, clearly we should win our group here.

Edit:😉

Edited by PegCityCam

Just now, Aird25 said:

He's made 36 appearances and he's in the top 10 in minutes on the squad. 

He lost his starting spot in April. In the last 7 games, he started Twice. One of those he was subbed off at half. 3 of the 7 games he never got off the bench. 

his form isn’t there. 

7 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Don’t really feel like there’s any snubs other than Sirois.

Theo maybe; but he needs to get that starting spot in La Liga.

I don't think there's any snubs. It's a tough f***ing team to make now, and you have to be at the top of your game to make it.

I would have kept Ugbo around and if we are to rely on St. Clair and Crepeau it would have been better to try to attract some more deserving dual nat in McGill's place. Maybe Goodman?

The rest generally make sense to me.