Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

2 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

So has Canada fully released the 26 man squad yet for Copa America? Or was that just for the friendlies against France 🇫🇷 and Netherlands 🇳🇱? If that is the case and cuts have been made, then I wonder if they make the final squad announcement tomorrow or on deadline day on the 15th?

Roster drop Saturday,

which seems silly since they are dropping updates and had to submit it officially yesterday

40 minutes ago, kingvikingstad said:

It's equally sad if it's trolling or real. 

Why even be an anti-Osorio zealot? It's so unbelievably odd. He's about maximized his talents/career and at his peak he was a solid/great MLS player. What's there to be mad about?

Osorio was one of our best players during a time our team sucked and now he’s less good and we’re way better. To a lot of people he probably represents “the old Canada” and they don’t like it.

5 minutes ago, RS said:

Pretty sure they have until June 15 to submit it.

Somebody changed something then

Associated Press
Thu, 16 May 2024·1-min read

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — Teams in this year's Copa America will be allowed to have an expanded squad of 26 players instead of the usual 23, South American soccer body CONMEBOL said Thursday.

Most major tournaments used 23-man squads before the coronavirus pandemic hit. That number was raised to 26 for the previous Euros, played in 2021, so teams could replace players who needed to quarantine.

The deadline for teams to submit their final squads is June 12.

___

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Somebody changed something then

Associated Press
Thu, 16 May 2024·1-min read

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — Teams in this year's Copa America will be allowed to have an expanded squad of 26 players instead of the usual 23, South American soccer body CONMEBOL said Thursday.

Most major tournaments used 23-man squads before the coronavirus pandemic hit. That number was raised to 26 for the previous Euros, played in 2021, so teams could replace players who needed to quarantine.

The deadline for teams to submit their final squads is June 12.

___

Ya. I'm seeing conflicting dates in news articles 

1 hour ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

You clearly didn’t watch the game. Alisson easily had the biggest save of the game. Most of Brazils chances were pretty tame. A draw was the most fair outcome.

Turner had the most saves for a US keeper since Howard vs Belgium in 2014 World Cup.

Brazil xG was 1.63 while USA was 0.96. 61% possession for Brazil. Brazil led 9-0 in corners, had 213 more passes and led in big chances 4-2.

Fotmob only had Pulisic rated above 7 amongst the starting 11 while Brazil had 8. ESPN only rated Turner/Pulisic with a 6.

Screenshot 2024-06-13 153514.jpg

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

For Whitecaps fans, how much right or left back has Ahmed actually played?

The roster switches they have done were fairly predictable (in fact, most did predict that these changes would be made), but I am not sure that, for the last cut, Luc DF will stay over Hiebert unless it is felt that Ahmed can provide adequate cover at FB. Even then, I can see the reason why Luc DF would not be mentioned to be flying to Europe with Brym & Zator because if they are sending him to the U20 qualifiers, they aren't being held in Europe

Not much. He initially cracked the team in a bit of a LB role, but was quickly moved up field. I don't think LB is the role they'd be calling him in for, though if they're going with more of a LWB it might work.

Honestly, I would not want him in a defensive role right now. He simply hasn't been sharp enough in that area. If they're chasing the game late, I could see them bringing him on. But if they're ahead and/or trying to hold the score as is, I wouldn't want him on the pitch right now.

Edited by Watchmen

45 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Osorio was one of our best players during a time our team sucked and now he’s less good and we’re way better. To a lot of people he probably represents “the old Canada” and they don’t like it.

I have a soft spot for Osorio, even on this  successful "modern" roster (because, a friendly tie against France denotes immediate success, after a year or two of blah!...fingers crossed).  He's simply soccer-smart...experienced...an excellent gap-filler until someone surpasses him.  I think he will, and should, be surpassed soon.  But he's got plenty to pass on to younger teammates.

2 minutes ago, eramosat said:

I have a soft spot for Osorio, even on this  successful "modern" roster (because, a friendly tie against France denotes immediate success, after a year or two of blah!...fingers crossed).  He's simply soccer-smart...experienced...an excellent gap-filler until someone surpasses him.  I think he will, and should, be surpassed soon.  But he's got plenty to pass on to younger teammates.

At the risk of taking someone at their word, he is probably there as an experienced head in the middle of park like Jesse Marsch said.

Essential what you are saying, I would say.

59 minutes ago, red card said:

Turner had the most saves for a US keeper since Howard vs Belgium in 2014 World Cup.

Brazil xG was 1.63 while USA was 0.96. 61% possession for Brazil. Brazil led 9-0 in corners, had 213 more passes and led in big chances 4-2.

Fotmob only had Pulisic rated above 7 amongst the starting 11 while Brazil had 8. ESPN only rated Turner/Pulisic with a 6.

Screenshot 2024-06-13 153514.jpg

You didn’t watch the game either then. Turner wasn’t standing on his head making saves. Yes, Brazil took a lot of shots. The quality of shots matters though. The US created the better chances, especially in the second half. 1.63 is not a high xG off 25 shots. If I could find the xGot i guarantee you it would be very even. I don’t care about possession. Flip the flags and throw El Salvador or Panama in there I’ve seen that game plenty of times. Well the US had 3 over a 7. That doesn’t really matter though I’d like you to find 1 Brazilian that thinks Vini was worthy of his rating. Endrick showed more in his 25 minutes than Vini did in 90.

Edit- ESPN? C’mon. 

Edited by DrunkOffPunch

7 minutes ago, eramosat said:

He’s just not an exciting player to follow. Won’t ever go to Europe, won’t get any better, we have better midfielders, it is what it is. He will have a spot on this team for the foreseeable future, as he should, and he should be honoured as one of our national program's greats when he retired. 

You just know Oso is itching to get on the field vs the 3 South American teams. He's always been strong vs Mexico or Mexican teams in CCL for TFC. I'm sure when he comes on as a sub he's going to bring it. As someone with Colombian roots playing in Copa is something he probably dreamed about ...up there with the WC

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Ahmed & JRR for Zator and Brym.

Full roster dropping on Saturday. 

Also, like many, think this is fine. I am not saying there is anything huge happening, and they may not even play, but it seems fairer. 

Now we only need to discard one more, as Tani coming in made it 27. 

I suspect they'll drop Tani, keep JRR, change the third keeper, and nothing more.

49 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

You didn’t watch the game either then. Turner wasn’t standing on his head making saves. Yes, Brazil took a lot of shots. The quality of shots matters though. The US created the better chances, especially in the second half. 1.63 is not a high xG off 25 shots. If I could find the xGot i guarantee you it would be very even. I don’t care about possession. Flip the flags and throw El Salvador or Panama in there I’ve seen that game plenty of times. Well the US had 3 over a 7. That doesn’t really matter though I’d like you to find 1 Brazilian that thinks Vini was worthy of his rating. Endrick showed more in his 25 minutes than Vini did in 90.

Edit- ESPN? C’mon. 

xGOT was 1.57 (US) to 1.05 (Brazil)

26 minutes ago, toontownman said:

With no Sam and Zator going we are a little weak on the backline. Given how much Marsch talked up Heibert when he got the job I'd be surprised if he didn't make the list.

Fack I rather put Shaffelburg there than see Heibert in our backline. 

He's a Center back. And never to be played on he LB, plus Miller can play there as well.