Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

Here’s what I’d do to make it 26:

Out: Zator, Brym, Hiebert, Ugbo, Shaffelburg, LDF

In: Kennedy, Adekugbe, JRR, Ahmed, Nelson

If Sam isn’t fit then I’d add Waterman. Also I know 99% are absolutely opposed to adding a certain striker who is our 4th all time leading scorer and playing at a higher level than MLS but I can’t help but wonder what he might look like in this system - seems a good fit.

Edited by CanadaFan123

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If Sam isn’t fit then I’d add Waterman. Also I know 99% are absolutely opposed to adding a certain striker who is our 4th all time leading scorer and playing at a higher level than MLS but I can’t help but wonder what he might look like in this system - seems a good fit.

I would not remove Shaffelburg, and I would swap some for Curbeanu Fraser Kennedy and Patrick Metcalfe 

19 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Again not sure Kennedy is healthy. Radio silence since he came off early in his team's penultimate game and missing their last game.

Has Adekugbe played enough?

Shaffelburg not going anywhere.  Just rewatched his minutes against France, a rushed tackle miss against Mbappe outside the box with plenty of help around was the worst display.  Other than that worked hard defensively and help create the beginning of a couple possible chances.

We need right-sided defenders especially if Laryea is covering the other side. So probably Zator stays.

Nelson not starting regularly in Norway, can't see it.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

The problem with Ali Ahmed is he has been pretty terrible his year

He hasn't been great, for sure. Still, I think he can be useful in a situation where we are chasing a goal and need someone who can beat his man or make a move to open up the opposition defense.

I don’t think any of our strikers should be dropped for others. We didn’t have enough time to give 3 of them any (significant) minutes, I don’t think having JRR ride the bench over Bair changes much. Unless…

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Also I know 99% are absolutely opposed to adding a certain striker who is our 4th all time leading scorer and playing at a higher level than MLS but I can’t help but wonder what he might look like in this system - seems a good fit.

Honestly not opposed to this. If there’s a time to call him in, that time is now. 

If Adekugbe is deemed fit, he would have played more/ comparable mins to Laryea in MLS this yr. Re Ahmed, don't current & ex Whitecaps Canadian players not named Davies, perform better for Canada?  Must be something in the Vancouver water.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Ugbo I would keep 

Shaffelburg I would keep 

LDF I would keep 

Zator and Brym for me would be out

Kennedy I would bring in

Ahmed I would bring in

JRR I would bring in

Adekugbe would only be out for me because of injuries and Nelson unfortunately for me has to be out

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

If Adekugbe is deemed fit, he would have played more/ comparable mins to Laryea in MLS this yr. Re Ahmed, don't current & ex Whitecaps Canadian players not named Davies, perform better for Canada?  Must be something in the Vancouver water.

Crepeau was excellent while in Vancouver. Adekugbe has been injured all year (either out or recovering but playing). Ahmed had a great season with the Whitecaps last year, but a mix of a formation change (that no one except Vanni thinks is good), injury to start the year, and the league catching on to some of his moves means he's regressed a bit. I'm not giving up on Ahmed by any means, it's just be a tough year. Cavallini blamed Vancouver but he's not performing in Mexico either and has played himself out of the NT picture (which is wild to think about, since was still up for consideration in March).

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Seeing Marschs system, and understanding that he wants to play an evolving 442...I definitely understand your inclusions and omissions. I agree with them all except for Adekugbe as he isn't fit.

Your drops is where I have some slight changes, I rather keep Zator than bring Waterman...he's just not versatile enough for me. LDF should join the U20's, Heibert, Ugbo, and Brym can go...

The reality I've experienced over these past two friendlies, is that in this Marsch system without Kone and Staq in the middle 2....we're absolutely fucked. 

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I would love to see what Nelson could do in this sort of environment but I don’t see it happening for him yet.   He isn’t exactly killing it in a lower league and while he has flashes of great offensive play I don’t think he has done enough, consistently, to warrant a call up.  If we had bigger extended camps he would for sure be a part of that next-tier cohort, but I can’t see him getting called into a fully competitive roster until he does more at club level.  

15 hours ago, narduch said:

Marsch said a couple of changes. Not 6 or 7

A keeper, and maybe switch Tani out. Or a player on loan like Ugbo.

I'd personally leave off Brym but I suppose Jesse doesn't get to be as mean and petty as us fans.

It's 26 including 3 keepers minimum. 

If he's making changes he would have already told the players. He's not going to give three days off without knowing where a player is going to be, because they have to make travel arrangements: "Ok Theo you're taking 3 days in Ibiza and hey, you can stay an extra week if you want."

Or at least the decision was done by Monday. You also have to tell the club regardless for a new callup.

Players in spots 21-26 including 2 back up keepers, are unlikely to see the field. So 4 outfield players could be swapped without any/much impact to the team. If Marsch wants to take a look at 4 "new" players in training this could help. Besides it was mentioned that there is a 24 hr injury replacement option for Copa. 

7 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Players in spots 21-26 including 2 back up keepers, are unlikely to see the field. So 4 outfield players could be swapped without any/much impact to the team. If Marsch wants to take a look at 4 "new" players in training this could help. Besides it was mentioned that there is a 24 hr injury replacement option for Copa. 

So it should be interesting to see who gets picked at least in that regard