Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

27 minutes ago, narduch said:

Bair and Brym both dropped. JRR added.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

If there are changes to the squad, Ugbo & Bair who didnt see the field over 2 matches may be possible cuts. Then again they have the benefit of training at the camp and better integration re tactics. Besides Larin's performances has to be weighing in on Marsch.

I dunno if we can assume Ugbo and/or Bair didn't impress or get cut.  They didn't play, but we weren't really chasing goals at any point in the two matches.  Marsch removed Larin for Osorio which made sense tactically and also to see Osorio in the system.  Tani came on, but might be just because he's the quickest and wanted to continue chasing and keep them honest at the back, not soo much for actual scoring.  

Either way, I doubt we go to Copa this top heavy.  It was a very unbalanced roster.  Hope to be thinner at striker, we can use the midfield depth.  Fraser and Ahmed being the first ones that come to mind.

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

I dunno if we can assume Ugbo and/or Bair didn't impress or get cut.  They didn't play, but we weren't really chasing goals at any point in the two matches.  Marsch removed Larin for Osorio which made sense tactically and also to see Osorio in the system.  Tani came on, but might be just because he's the quickest and wanted to continue chasing and keep them honest at the back, not soo much for actual scoring.  

Either way, I doubt we go to Copa this top heavy.  It was a very unbalanced roster.  Hope to be thinner at striker, we can use the midfield depth.  Fraser and Ahmed being the first ones that come to mind.

I would definitely bring Ahmed but Fraser I don't know

2 hours ago, red card said:

Canada Soccer recently announced they're levelling up their social media. But Colombia is a step ahead with their Copa anthem which was done with the federation and includes sponsor placements.

That's the reason why the Colombian team and their subculture won't win a cup of prestige. 

Roy Keane was correct all along in Qatar with the Brazilian team too

I can't believe Néstor Lorenzo authorized this, some spooky material TBF.  

15 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

All good points, except Laryea plays on the right for us- he should be the Johnston backup, and Davies needs one himself, especially if we want to push him forward. Unfortunately that backup right now is Hiebert, and I think even an out of form Adekugbe could do at least as good of a job. Plus, he’s always been one of those guys who plays better for Canada than his club. 

Since you mentioned him though, it was awesome seeing Laryea back to his game yesterday. He came on and frustrated a much better team than us which is his role to a T. Need to see him play big minutes at Copa, but it’s a shame he can’t do it in front of South American crowds- feel like he’d feed off of that hard.

For Ahmed, I would bring him in more as a CM. Think subbing out Larin for Ahmed yesterday could’ve given us some interesting formation possibilities. 3 man midfield with Eustaquio as the DM and Kone + Ahmed pushing it forward. All this assumes a fully fit and top form Ahmed of course, but I think his profile lacks in our midfield, and I think he could help unlock some of Kone’s game that gets kneecapped by being in a 2 man midfield. 

Adekugbe hasn't even been on the bench for the Whitecaps in weeks.  I can't see them taking him with literally no playing time recently.

If they take Ahmed, it's based more on his Gold Cup last year than on what he's doing this MLS season.  He's healthy, but he's not in top form.  A few too many easy turnovers this year, not enough of a work rate at times defensively.  Though if it work, you're correct in that he'd be bringing something a bit different from some of the other current subs.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I actually think we won't change the group for Copa, after working with this group and still seeing enough options.

Except maybe third keeper and if a key piece is injured. And then, of Tani, Ugbo and Bair, two of three. What's the roster size again?

The roster size is 26. And we currently have 27 guys called in (28 if you include Swiderski).

My own prediction is Sirois comes in for McGill.

And then maybe 1 other change.

1 guy will have to be dropped no matter what. Most likely a striker

Also should be noted we can make changes due to injury up to 24 hours before our first match

Edited by narduch

I would bring in Fraser, Ahmed & JRR, drop Piette, Zator, Brym and probably Bair. Not sure if Sirois would replace McGill given 3rd string isn't likely to play, so maybe leave him with the nats.

Swiderski is heading to the U20s, in fact even though his club team is Bordeaux he wasn't with the nats when we were there. Not sure about Luc DF, but if he goes to the U20, they are more likely to keep Zator or bring in Waterman, need some kind of back-up for Bombito as the right-sided CB.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

I would bring in Fraser, Ahmed & JRR, drop Piette, Zator, Brym and probably Bair. Not sure if Sirois would replace McGill given 3rd string isn't likely to play, so maybe leave him with the nats.

Swiderski is heading to the U20s, in fact even though his club team is Bordeaux he wasn't with the nats when we were there. Not sure about Luc DF, but if he goes to the U20, they are more likely to keep Zator or bring in Waterman, need some kind of back-up for Bombito as the right-sided CB.

I don’t think Fraser will fit with this team at all and I can’t see them dropping Piette. 

11 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don’t think Fraser will fit with this team at all and I can’t see them dropping Piette. 

You are probably right about Piette, but that's why I said it was what I would do, not necessarily what Marsch will do.

Other than dressing room intangibles and more experience, I don't feel Piette brings much more than Fraser would, and Fraser's upside with the long-ball pass (e.g. David goal in Honduras) is much higher IMO. That would be a direct swap. Fraser is playing well on a poor Dallas team, but Piette hasn't looked that great for Montreal and in my view, looked almost as bad as Zator and Brym did against the Dutch.

Edited by Gian-Luca

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Fraser is playing well on a poor Dallas team

Yes and no.

I have had MLS Pass free for a month and have watched Dallas and, in particular, Fraser's overall performance.  He has a keen eye for the long ball, for sure, and he moves the ball quickly with one- and two-time passing.  My biggest concern with him right now is engine room and closing guys down to prevent passes and crosses from getting in:  he tends to drift around and just defend space in front of the back line, along with his Spanish partner, and opponents use the space afforded to play in key passes.  That's one of the reasons Dallas are a bad team (behind having little offensive threat).

If the argument is that Fraser can "do the job when wearing the NT shirt," then I think this incumbent laden coaching staff would have suggested to Marsch to have him included in the first place and then see what he does in training and match sub minutes.  But I just get the feeling that he's not a Marsch type of midfielder.

39 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

apparently KH is back with STL

So drop Hiebert and bring in Ahmed? Replace McGill with Sirois?

3 hours ago, frmr said:

Chile has a friendly against Paraguay tonight if anyone is interested in scouting our opponent for what could be the pivotal final game of the group stage.

Won't be catching this but will definitely be watching Peru/El Salvador on Friday.