Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

5 hours ago, nolando said:

If they can and would consider changes...

OUT: Swiderski, Brym, Zator, Hiebert, (and maybe LDF, who some speculated wasn't there in France)

IN: Ahmed, Waterman, JRR, Corbeanu

Swiderski? 

edit. Nvm. Backup keeper

Edited by king1010

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

3 days off. So said Eustaquio.

Marsch none too pleased at that but understands some have not been off season long.

Side note: 

It just dawned on me that with the Euros there will be 5 high level matches a day, some days later in the month.

image.png.55ff49ee8bf178236fe5b82b4eb0f252.png

Thursday the 20th is a pretty crazy lineup:

9 AM- Slovenia/Serbia

Noon - England/Denmark

3PM- Spain/Italy

8PM- Canada/Argentina

The Saturday schedule that week is pretty stacked too. 3 Euro games followed by 2 Copa games + a full slate MLS schedule including all 3 Canadian teams. 

If there are changes to the squad, Ugbo & Bair who didnt see the field over 2 matches may be possible cuts. Then again they have the benefit of training at the camp and better integration re tactics. Besides Larin's performances has to be weighing in on Marsch.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Thursday the 20th is a pretty crazy lineup:

9 AM- Slovenia/Serbia

Noon - England/Denmark

3PM- Spain/Italy

8PM- Canada/Argentina

The Saturday schedule that week is pretty stacked too. 3 Euro games followed by 2 Copa games + a full slate MLS schedule including all 3 Canadian teams. 

huh...having the Euro's and Copa America overlap is basically like a mini World Cup TV-wise

Edited by mpg_29

17 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is there any chance that Adekugbe is healthy in time? Think swapping Hiebert for Adekugbe would be a very obvious change. Would like to see someone make room for Ali Ahmed too. I’m impartial to Zator or Waterman- whoever we go with will be 5th in our CB depth chart, so neither should play barring injury.

Watching Laryea look like his old self assuages the LB spot behind Davies, even though he is not a natural portsider.  Apart from his injury, Adekugbe getting "vanni-ed" (i.e. shoehorned into an unnatural position, such as RF) and not really playing well, either, leaves him likely on the outside looking in.

Ahmed is not strong enough in the defensive side of the game to be a left back here, and he is also another natural right sided player on that side.  I don't see him making it for the Copa squad, either.

22 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

huh...having the Euro's and Copa America overlap is basically like a mini World Cup TV-wise

I'm not complaining! It actually works out almost perfectly on one day in particular: the 22nd. In EST matches are
9AM Euro
12PM Euro
3PM Euro
6PM Copa
9PM Copa

So on the 22nd this equals:
Georgia/Czechia
Turkiye/Portugal
Belgium/Romania
Ecuador/Venezuela
Mexico/Jamaica

After this EURO goes to matching third group match times, so 3PM, and then Copa at 6PM and 9PM.

50 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Besides Larin's performances has to be weighing in on Marsch.

In terms of maybe being left off of the squad? Pretty confident that will not be the case. I don’t think they way other guys have been playing will supplant Larin’s role too much at this time

Edited by EJsens1

15 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Watching Laryea look like his old self assuages the LB spot behind Davies, even though he is not a natural portsider.  Apart from his injury, Adekugbe getting "vanni-ed" (i.e. shoehorned into an unnatural position, such as RF) and not really playing well, either, leaves him likely on the outside looking in.

Ahmed is not strong enough in the defensive side of the game to be a left back here, and he is also another natural right sided player on that side.  I don't see him making it for the Copa squad, either.

All good points, except Laryea plays on the right for us- he should be the Johnston backup, and Davies needs one himself, especially if we want to push him forward. Unfortunately that backup right now is Hiebert, and I think even an out of form Adekugbe could do at least as good of a job. Plus, he’s always been one of those guys who plays better for Canada than his club. 

Since you mentioned him though, it was awesome seeing Laryea back to his game yesterday. He came on and frustrated a much better team than us which is his role to a T. Need to see him play big minutes at Copa, but it’s a shame he can’t do it in front of South American crowds- feel like he’d feed off of that hard.

For Ahmed, I would bring him in more as a CM. Think subbing out Larin for Ahmed yesterday could’ve given us some interesting formation possibilities. 3 man midfield with Eustaquio as the DM and Kone + Ahmed pushing it forward. All this assumes a fully fit and top form Ahmed of course, but I think his profile lacks in our midfield, and I think he could help unlock some of Kone’s game that gets kneecapped by being in a 2 man midfield. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

2 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

I'm not complaining! It actually works out almost perfectly on one day in particular: the 22nd. In EST matches are
9AM Euro
12PM Euro
3PM Euro
6PM Copa
9PM Copa

So on the 22nd this equals:
Georgia/Czechia
Turkiye/Portugal
Belgium/Romania
Ecuador/Venezuela
Mexico/Jamaica

After this EURO goes to matching third group match times, so 3PM, and then Copa at 6PM and 9PM.

Yeah after that you get 6 matches on a couple days but each of 2 Euro group sets are at the same time, obviously. Our matchday against Peru on the 25th is one of those. 

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

All good points, except Laryea plays on the right for us- he should be the Johnston backup, and Davies needs one himself, especially if we want to push him forward. Unfortunately that backup right now is Hiebert, and I think even an out of form Adekugbe could do at least as good of a job. Plus, he’s always been one of those guys who plays better for Canada than his club. 

For Ahmed, I would bring him in more as a CM. Think subbing out Larin for Ahmed yesterday could’ve given us some interesting formation possibilities. 3 man midfield with Eustaquio as the DM and Kone + Ahmed pushing it forward. All this assumes a fully fit and top form Ahmed of course, but I think his profile lacks in our midfield, and I think he could help unlock some of Kone’s game that gets kneecapped by being in a 2 man midfield. 

I would honestly try switching Miller and Hiebert in the backup positions. 

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Forget Hiebert. Backups should be able to cover more than one spot. Miller and Laryea can both do so (though if Laryea is in form I'd consider starting him ahead of Johnston). 

We need a squad.  It is still 26 players. 

Hiebert was playing fullback against one of the fastest players on the planet and could not compete for pace.  Nothing saying he can't provide secondary cover at fullback against more pedestrian opposition. 

I like Miller's passing out of the leftback spot, when I have seen it.  He probably is a bit faster. I like Hiebert better at centre back, from what I have seen, which is limited to be fair.  

Taking both, if that's what Marsch wants does not preclude taking Laryea. The squad there minus Swiderski was 27, LDF going u20s? make it 26.

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We need a squad.  It is still 26 players. 

Hiebert was playing fullback against one of the fastest players on the planet and could not compete for pace.  Nothing saying he can't provide secondary cover at fullback against more pedestrian opposition. 

I like Miller's passing out of the leftback spot, when I have seen it.  He probably is a bit faster. I like Hiebert better at centre back, from what I have seen, which is limited to be fair.  

Taking both, if that's what Marsch wants does not preclude taking Laryea. The squad there minus Swiderski was 27, LDF going u20s? make it 26.

I suppose what I meant is I don't consider Hiebert to be the first choice backup at any of the defensive positions. Maybe Marsch thinks otherwise. I know Miller is not in form right now with Portland but we know what levels he can reach. I haven't seen the same from Hiebert, who could develop further but might not (he and Miller are the same age). 

23 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

In terms of maybe being left off of the squad? Pretty confident that will not be the case. I don’t think they way other guys have been playing will supplant Larin’s role too much at this time

No. As back up for Larin or to start if he continues to be ineffective 

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I suppose what I meant is I don't consider Hiebert to be the first choice backup at any of the defensive positions. Maybe Marsch thinks otherwise. I know Miller is not in form right now with Portland but we know what levels he can reach. I haven't seen the same from Hiebert, who could develop further but might not (he and Miller are the same age). 

I agree. 

That said, Miller still gets destroyed by someone like Coman (kept wanting to start that with a K) if he's put out there instead. There but for the grace of a Kolo Muani miss go we. 

Of course not ideal first backup, when we are looking to make changes/rest. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is there any chance that Adekugbe is healthy in time? Think swapping Hiebert for Adekugbe would be a very obvious change. Would like to see someone make room for Ali Ahmed too. I’m impartial to Zator or Waterman- whoever we go with will be 5th in our CB depth chart, so neither should play barring injury.

Not sure about his health but he was at the York-Vancouver game yesterday watching his brother play. Not sure if that is a good or bad indicator.

14 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Not sure about his health but he was at the York-Vancouver game yesterday watching his brother play. Not sure if that is a good or bad indicator.

Just means Whitecaps gave their players a break during the window