Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

20 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think our starting 11 today is our starting 11 v Argentina 

I'm not sold on Shaffelburg, Choinier, Brym, Zator coming off the bench. Defenders are less of a concern coming off the bench 

Piette and Hoilett im confident off the bench

What are the chances players not with the team now could draw in to the roster for Copa?

Extremely high. 

Zator came to relieve Johnston but because laryea is there, they obviously want him near the team to be at Copa. Zator out 

5-6 strikers is too many. Tani and maybe bair  out (see brym below). 

wingers- shaf is likely in as a sub, brym could be out (as he played wing).  

lb - I think Marsch would play Davies wing if heibert was good enough.  Heibert out if laryea and/or Sam are fit enough.  Davies theoretically takes Bryms spot. 

add Ali, adekugbe and either jrr or corbeanu?  

I expect to see 3-5 player changes in the Copa squad. 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not sold on Shaffelburg, Choinier, Brym, Zator coming off the bench. Defenders are less of a concern coming off the bench 

What are the chances players not with the team now could draw in to the roster for Copa?

If Bielsa or Hiddink were the coaches they would play something crazy as 

.................Creapeau..................  

Buchnan MacNauton Corne Layrea

Piette

Millar                  Eustaquio

Davies             David.     Shaffelburg

Posted (edited)

TSN's crew for Canada's Copa America matches will have James Duthie, Kevin Kilbane and Atiba Hutchinson on the panel. Wileman and Caldwell will call Canada’s matches. Scianitti reporting from pitch-side and BarDown’s Daniel Zakrzewski on-site delivering additional updates.

TSN's Euro coverage will have Wileman, Caldwell, Kilbane, Hutchinson & Beckie (when not busy playing/training). So, I'm assuming Scianitti and Zakrzewski will be at the Copa match locations. I will also assume non-Canada Copa matches will use world/Fox feeds.

Canada matches will be on TSN & CTV2. There are 11 Copa matches only on TSN+ (requires additional monies for cable subscribers). But looks like 2 of them can be seen on main Fox (of the 7 on Fox). Matches start between 1800-2100 EDT. 

For Euros, all are on TSN's linear channels. Ex 1 match, all weekend matches are also on CTV. Fox will have 29 matches but they have sub-licensed some matches to fubo rather than show it on FS1/2. Matches start between 0900-1500 EDT. 

RDS will have Copa America while TVA Sports will have the Euros. Both Finals will be on July 14.

Only official sponsor signed so far by TSN is Ford for the Euros.

https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/its-the-summer-of-soccer-on-tsn-and-ctv-with-complete-live-coverage-of-the-conmebol-copa-america-2024-and-uefa-euro-2024-beginning-june-14/

Edited by red card

10 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

Not sure but I’d be on the phone to Theo right about now as a bench winger option…not a fan of Shaff at all and if Millar starts we have few left sided options..,

Theo played mostly as a left wingback or mid, attacking down the left, at Granada. Then got moved over to the right a few moments and his goal actually came from there. 

Interestingly, Tajon was also moved from right side to left at Inter. 

It would have been perfectly valid to have moved Tajon around in yesterday's match, but I think Marsch had a preconceived idea about putting in Shaff for Millar, as he said in the press conference, which basically meant he did not care to even consider the game situation with that sub. Maybe some others were similar. Still, since it is our last game before Argentina, I would prefer for the France game to be played "as if" we actually cared about a result, as a way of working on that scenario.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Theo played mostly as a left wingback or mid, attacking down the left, at Granada. Then got moved over to the right a few moments and his goal actually came from there. 

Interestingly, Tajon was also moved from right side to left at Inter. 

It would have been perfectly valid to have moved Tajon around in yesterday's match, but I think Marsch had a preconceived idea about putting in Shaff for Millar, as he said in the press conference, which basically meant he did not care to even consider the game situation with that sub. Maybe some others were similar. Still, since it is our last game before Argentina, I would prefer for the France game to be played "as if" we actually cared about a result, as a way of working on that scenario.

Oh man could you imagine the shitstorm here if we don't make a sub until the 80th minute.

I agree with the premise though. Our next match is 11 days later. No need to hold anyone back

27 minutes ago, narduch said:

Oh man could you imagine the shitstorm here if we don't make a sub until the 80th minute.

I agree with the premise though. Our next match is 11 days later. No need to hold anyone back

I'd like to see the manager analyze the match situation and use that to prepare Copa as well. It is not just about seeing guys in game situations. But I suspect he'll have prefab subs and that will also be his excuse if the result is not held.

I compare with a friendly I saw in Spain, Spain-Canada, after I spoke with Yallop and asked him why this or that player did not appear (we were all hyped to see Jaime Peters, of all things) and he directly told me: I thought that we could get a result so changed my plans. They'd gone up 2-0 then Grande scored a beauty and Frank figured we should go for it. To the detriment of the little darlings itching for their minutes. 

That is also, as I see it, preparing for a major tournament.

22 minutes ago, RS said:

They're taking a very brief break (like two days) before reconvening in the U.S.

But in Toronto then? Or do they get to each "go home" before reconvening as you say?

IMO we could really do with a full 90 scrimmage vs. a League One club, say, because these matches vs. heavyweights are very demanding and make it hard to know if you are doing much right.

16 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Would love to hear what you saw from Choiniere in all his 50' over three matches that you didn't like.  Especially considering he came on in lost causes when already down 3-0 twice.  He looked good and had good stats yesterday as well as vs Japan.

If there is one guy that deserves and has earned an honest look, it's him.

For me based on yesterday and our injuries, this is what I'd want to see:

David

Millar - Choiniere - Stache - Kone - Tajon

Davies - Cornelius - Bombito - Johnston

I think Davies performance might push Marsch into a back 3, if Laryea still isn't quite ready yet.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, costarg said:

Would love to hear what you saw from Choiniere in all his 50' over three matches that you didn't like.  Especially considering he came on in lost causes when already down 3-0 twice.  He looked good and had good stats yesterday as well as vs Japan.

David

I think Davies performance might push Marsch into a back 3, if Laryea still isn't quite ready yet.

He needs to have another serious talk with Davies.  I don't think he should be there but if he is, he needs to know that as much he wants to get us a goal or a goal back, he can't cheat/be casual on a Europa League/Bundesliga winning wide man or worse (Dembele might be incoming).

Because that is coming, I guess there is an argument for keeping him and Millar there.

I absolutely agree about Larin. If he buries that chance, everything changes I think. But if that is his contribution, we can instead add someone faster, or at least livelier for the system.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

47 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He needs to have another serious talk with Davies.  I don't think he should be there but if he is, he needs to know that as much he wants to get us a goal or a goal back, he can't cheat/be casual on a Europa League/Bundesliga winning wide man or worse (Dembele might be incoming).

Because that is coming, I guess there is an argument for keeping him and Millar there.

I absolutely agree about Larin. If he buries that chance, everything changes I think. But if that is his contribution, we can instead add someone faster, or at least livelier for the system.

Exactly.  The only reason I have Davies there as the "ideal 11 at the moment" is the injuries and the level of opponents up next.  If everyone is healthy and playing teams at our level, I'd like to see Laryea there and Davies at LW, but it's been a while since Laryea's played on the left I believe.  He still brings that intensity and drive we need.

4 hours ago, costarg said:

David

This formation is exactly what I would go with. I think Davies will be fine in a back four with Millar pitching in to help.

17 hours ago, red card said:

TSN's crew for Canada's Copa America matches will have James Duthie, Kevin Kilbane and Atiba Hutchinson on the panel. Wileman and Caldwell will call Canada’s matches. Scianitti reporting from pitch-side and BarDown’s Daniel Zakrzewski on-site delivering additional updates.

TSN's Euro coverage will have Wileman, Caldwell, Kilbane, Hutchinson & Beckie (when not busy playing/training). So, I'm assuming only Scianitti and Zakrzewski will be at the Copa match locations. I will also assume non-Canada Copa matches will use world/Fox feeds.

Canada matches will be on TSN & CTV2. There are 11 Copa matches only on TSN+ (requires additional monies for cable subscribers). But looks like 2 of them can be seen on main Fox (of the 7 on Fox). Matches start between 1700-2100 EDT. 

For Euros, all are on TSN's linear channels. Ex 1 match, all weekend matches are also on CTV. Fox will have 29 matches but they have sub-licensed some matches to fubo rather than show it on FS1/2. Matches start between 0830-1400 EDT. 

RDS will have Copa America while TVA Sports will have the Euros. Both Finals will be on July 14.

https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/its-the-summer-of-soccer-on-tsn-and-ctv-with-complete-live-coverage-of-the-conmebol-copa-america-2024-and-uefa-euro-2024-beginning-june-14/

I love this

17 hours ago, red card said:

TSN's Euro coverage will have Wileman, Caldwell, Kilbane, Hutchinson & Beckie (when not busy playing/training). So, I'm assuming only Scianitti and Zakrzewski will be at the Copa match locations. I will also assume non-Canada Copa matches will use world/Fox feeds.

Canada matches will be on TSN & CTV2. There are 11 Copa matches only on TSN+ (requires additional monies for cable subscribers). But looks like 2 of them can be seen on main Fox (of the 7 on Fox). Matches start between 1700-2100 EDT. 

For Euros, all are on TSN's linear channels. Ex 1 match, all weekend matches are also on CTV. Fox will have 29 matches but they have sub-licensed some matches to fubo rather than show it on FS1/2. Matches start between 0830-1400 EDT. 

The June 29 game time is 1/4. Wtf.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

Peru has a friendly tonight vs. Paraguay. 830pm ET 

Nil-Nil final. 

Some MLS presence on both sides.  Cubas played well apparently and Miguel Araujo -  sometimes compratriot of Miller and replacer of McGraw in the much-maligned Portland back line - was part of a back three that got a clean sheet. 

West Ham old boy Fabian Balbuena captained Paraguay. 

I think our schedule is favourable.. Assume an opening loss to Argentina. Next, we have Peru who are a very beatable side. They are currently dead last in WCQ and are rapidly aging out of a strong generation. This is our must win IMO. 3pts heading into a play-off vs Chile is a decent position to be in.

17 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

I think our schedule is favourable.. Assume an opening loss to Argentina. Next, we have Peru who are a very beatable side. They are currently dead last in WCQ and are rapidly aging out of a strong generation. This is our must win IMO. 3pts heading into a play-off vs Chile is a decent position to be in.

Yeah but let's say we play Argentina to a draw then it makes our 2 other games against Peru and Chile winnable