Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Qualified for the World Cup by topping their qualification section, ahead of Mexico and the USA. 

One could argue Canada wouldn't have qualified out of South America, but we'll never know. What we do know is that Peru and Chile couldn't get to the World Cup.

This is not me exhibiting a sense of entitlement, just giving you the answer to the question you ask.

If Canada didn't qualify for the World Cup the way they did, the current level of expectation for this tournament wouldn't exist. 

Except we no longer have the same gaffer, we've gone through  18-19 months of turmoil and there are more questions than answers with the present coach.

Chile won't beat Perú,  you don't get what that match means for Peruvians , they will do everything in their scope to cancel the Chileans even more now that Chile got The Tiger Richard Gareca ! 

Canada won't get points from these matches it demands to be streetwise and it has been demonstrated that the CONCACAF teams dont have that talent, the only team in the world that has improved to the maximum has been the Spaniards,  they were kick and fight and run in the 70's 80'd 90 's and up to Japan Korea 2002.  

That changed with the new kids in the block,  the Xavi , Inesta, Villa , Silva even Fernando Torres wasn't as technical gifted as let say Rudi Voller/Cantina,  so mostly fragile small  players , almost feminine guys, who made them streetwise, what a contradiction !

That was their breakthrough ,  but they changed their mindset 20 years ago and Spain got titles 

27 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Just do the right thing okay the substitutes and be wise.  Canada group is toughest than the WC group.

Morocco did what the Turkish did in 2002.  They really got lucky. 

Chile and Peru are streetwise 

Canada we face Argentina first so we have to at least park the bus and play for a draw in that game; it's our only hope and then 2nd game against Peru then you go for it with a win and last game against Chile; play for a win or a draw; get a draw against Chile...that gives us 5 points especially if we get 2 draws and a win

Play your starters all 3 games.  Rotate a player or two depending on tactics, opposition, etc.  But don't "play substitutes" against Argentina.  No "real" footballing nation would ever do that.

I don't think Canada can park the bus against Argentina, mainly because I don't think we have the goalkeeping/defensive players to play that style.  Need to play smart, of course.  And unlikely to get a result, regardless of the style they play.  But, let's see what Marsch has up his sleeve and what the Canadian players can do when faced with some of the best in a competitive match.  Let them see where the bar is set.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Play your starters all 3 games.  Rotate a player or two depending on tactics, opposition, etc.  But don't "play substitutes" against Argentina.  No "real" footballing nation would ever do that.

I don't think Canada can park the bus against Argentina, mainly because I don't think we have the goalkeeping/defensive players to play that style.  Need to play smart, of course.  And unlikely to get a result, regardless of the style they play.  But, let's see what Marsch has up his sleeve and what the Canadian players can do when faced with some of the best in a competitive match.  Let them see where the bar is set.

Exactly. It's a tournament with 4 days rest between matches. 

Plus the way it's set up we will have an extra day rest compared to our 2nd match opponent.

It would be silly to rest players 

Edited by narduch

Posted (edited)

This is football, nothing is impossible.  Canada can defeat Argentina of course as Saudi did ,  and remember he got 3 goals disallowed,  1 from Lautaro was on side.  Kudos to them they did it,  but they didn't park the bus ,  they played with our nervous and anxiety. 

Canada can't play park the bus work ethic , you don't have the guys for that structure , remember the  Croatia match.

My vast football knowledge tells me just rest Eustaquio and David the backbone of the team, rest the starters that's sensible football. 

Perú are really streetwise quite even more than the Chileans.  You can't beat them in their own talent. 

Chile team has better players but older legs too! as some of we have Di Maria , Messi Otamendi are ending you can't play forever.

Canada will play very attacking minded strategy,  and they won't cover at the back,   for me it is 3 Canadian defeats and similar to the WC,   Canada going for it and getting pegged back 

Edited by JAVIERF

Posted (edited)

Marsch goes for it,  thats suicidal Vs Peru and Chile in my understanding ,  if you want to play progressive football,  they will lock Canada down,  down the tempo,  a kick there and here , to foil you ,  they are really streetwise as an African national team!  You cant fight a spade with a spade.  

For me is the other way round ,  let them up to you and peg the in the counters with Buchanan and others .  

Edited by JAVIERF

Look the way we play against CONMEBOL and African teams ,  really streetwise players .  We control the flow, the passing we come back and keep possession in Argentina,  we know they are more streetwise than us, we know they are stronger and faster,  but we beat them to the sword like a guillotine!  

You can't play direct football against streetwise teams.  

Algeria and Morocco are the best as streetwise and technical ability as the Turkish are ,  we can't play their game we must try something different.  After those 2 Perú and Chile are masters of streetwise football.  

Imagine a team as fast and talented as Nigeria with the streetwise momentum of Algeria or Morocco unstoppable.  

No team can be both !  You are either streetwise or fast and talented 

Check Japan and Korea good players fast players but too honest for a scoundrel!  No streetwise they are like college boys!  Korea team used to be as tough as nails with Cha Bum and player from the past ,  now they became softer.  

Posted (edited)

And to end ,  mark my words today beforehand as I'm some kind of oracle from.the future,  Eustaquio will get a red card with either Perú or Chile , he wont resist their provoking streetwise style

Edited by JAVIERF

35 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

This is football, nothing is impossible.  Canada can defeat Argentina of course as Saudi did ,  and remember he got 3 goals disallowed,  1 from Lautaro was on side.  Kudos to them they did it,  but they didn't park the bus ,  they played with our nervous and anxiety. 

Canada can't play park the bus work ethic , you don't have the guys for that structure , remember the  Croatia match.

My vast football knowledge tells me just rest Eustaquio and David the backbone of the team, rest the starters that's sensible football. 

Perú are really streetwise quite even more than the Chileans.  You can't beat them in their own talent. 

Chile team has better players but older legs too! as some of we have Di Maria , Messi Otamendi are ending you can't play forever.

Canada will play very attacking minded strategy,  and they won't cover at the back,   for me it is 3 Canadian defeats and similar to the WC,   Canada going for it and getting pegged back 

We should all use 'My vast ____ knowledge' in our every day lives. It would make for more hilarious exchanges.

"My vast engineering knowledge tells me this meeting could have been an email"

I'll let you guys know how well it's received.

We , Argentina , tend to struggle against streetwise football nations.  Iran in Brazil, Mexico 3 times, Argentina Vs Canada will be similar to Argentina Vs Bosnia in Brazil,  a team that will get stage fright and maybe we could get the better of Canada,  as I say Canada could beat Argentina but won't be by parking the bus

22 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

And to end ,  mark my words today beforehand as I'm some kind of oracle from.the future,  Eustaquio will get a red card with either Perú or Chile , he wont resist their provoking streetwise style

I must say, your English has improved so rapidly the time you have been here.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, longlugan said:

I didn't understand a word he said but it wasn't due to his piss poor English. It was mostly because of his absolute lack of vast football knowledge. It just didn't feel streetwise enough for me. 🙄

Hey My English level is fine, mon frère,  take it easy.  Mock about the streetwise jibe all you want, the truth is not being a streetwise eleven against streetwise footballers ( and people as well) is a drawback.  Your team can't cope with that, you can't buy that in a store, it's like being pregnant for instance for a gal,  you are or aren't pregnant , daisy.  

That's what happened in the last world cup,  you pushed the tree but  no fruits came down then quickly and the belge 1-0 and game over.  Reason?  Streetwise footballers.  Croatia the same , started and the croats schooled ya big time.  Even the Mexicans almost got a result in the refrigerator you placed in the qualies to get ya the upper hand,  after you went 2-0.  

Mock all you want, Canada and this group of footballers can't be streetwise overnight.

Playing Peru is like wanted to be an actor like Robert De Niro without knowing your craft as a  thespian and being a truck driver

Edited by JAVIERF