Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

17 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Sorry my bad . I mean his expected roster and formation 

An interesting one for me. 

Not a huge fan of playing David withdrawn.  We seem to like Millar more than either of those making teams.  And despite acknowledging that Miller's team hasn't been great both include him. And interesting he baulked at Kone. 

He seems right about Davies and therefore what might be the formation.  And right it will need to be a process somewhat, he is not going to be one thing from the beginning. 

11 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Think we have all moved on...he has been 100% wanting Croatia. He has been on their u21 teams and i believe made their extended rosters for the senior team. If he ends up failing to reach them, that would be our only chance. The Jebbison situation part 2

Marsch should be finding players that want to play for Canada, and if Sigur would prefer to play for Croatia, then so be it.  But an expanded 26 man Copa roster and the upcoming run of games against Netherlands/France/Argentina/Peru/Chile (the last 3 in a major tournament) should likely get some duel nationals attention.  Marsch would just need to sort out what's best for the short and long-term.

Guessing the roster will likely drop today per reports? 

I think if we see a dual nat it will be Lucas Pos. I would think it strange for the relative “fanfare” of him getting his Canadian papers if there wasn’t a plan to call him up, but I said that before last lineup and he wasn’t called. Though he’s already in Europe, so we’ll see. Maybe it’s time to bring in Jebbison finally, but we may want to bring in Ugbo who is (currently) a better championship striker. Would like to see Gavran get that 3rd keeper spot too because it’s dark days for our keeper rotation right now, and any bit helps.

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think if we see a dual nat it will be Lucas Pos. I would think it strange for the relative “fanfare” of him getting his Canadian papers if there wasn’t a plan to call him up, but I said that before last lineup and he wasn’t called. Though he’s already in Europe, so we’ll see. Maybe it’s time to bring in Jebbison finally, but we may want to bring in Ugbo who is (currently) a better championship striker. Would like to see Gavran get that 3rd keeper spot too because it’s dark days for our keeper rotation right now, and any bit helps.

I definitely want Gavran playing for us

51 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

As much as I want Gavran and believe he probably should be there.  Sean Johnson was called in for USA so Gavran may get a real extended opportunity to show his qualities at TFC.  It is probably better for his career to stay but if he shows well with Johnson away, I hope Canada calls him at the next opportunity we have.

34 minutes ago, Corazon said:

As much as I want Gavran and believe he probably should be there.  Sean Johnson was called in for USA so Gavran may get a real extended opportunity to show his qualities at TFC.  It is probably better for his career to stay but if he shows well with Johnson away, I hope Canada calls him at the next opportunity we have.

That’s a very good point. I want to call him in because he’s good, not because he’s a dual nat, but I think that getting minutes in for TFC is more valuable than riding the bench for our friendlies. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

That’s a very good point. I want to call him in because he’s good, not because he’s a dual nat, but I think that getting minutes in for TFC is more valuable than riding the bench for our friendlies. 

Agreed.  Although it's been a small sample size, I think he belongs on the squad and if we can get him on program, I think he has the quality to become a regular for us.  I think he could potentially be our best keeper but he's still only played 11 games with Toronto FC.  Gavran is going to get his fair share of starts this season with the Canadian Championship and with Sean Johnson being away.  I expect both to share the load this season and then Johnson will leave when he contract runs up after this season and Gavran should become the everyay starter. 

Given any coach would probably be crazy to start Gavran given his short resume, he'd likely only be included as a backup for Canada.  In which case, I believe it best to stay with Toronto and earn that starting role.  If he is called for Canada, as a Canada fan, I'll be happy.  As a TFC fan, I'll be devastated that we'll have to use Ranjitsingh in net.

Edited by Corazon

Posted (edited)

Interesting to note- I was surprised at how similar Piette and Fraser’s numbers are this season, now that we can properly compare one to the other:

image.thumb.png.25aa88d06081b4f1d5fb27e04ed61af9.png

The only stat in which they really differentiate themselves with is Piette has a full tackle more per 90 than LF and wins a lot more possessions in the final third, whereas Fraser has one more successful clearance per 4 games than Piette and has a much better long ball. 

Everything else is pretty marginal. I think Piette gives us more of what we need than Fraser does, but I have my doubts that his pace can hold up against the teams on our schedule. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

6 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Agreed.  Although it's been a small sample size, I think he belongs on the squad and if we can get him on program, I think he has the quality to become a regular for us.  I think he could potentially be our best keeper but he's still only played 11 games with Toronto FC.  Gavran is going to get his fair share of starts this season with the Canadian Championship and with Sean Johnson being away.  I expect both to share the load this season and then Johnson will leave when he contract runs up after this season and Gavran should become the everyay starter. 

Given any coach would probably be crazy to start Gavran given his short resume, he'd likely only be included as a backup for Canada.  In which case, I believe it best to stay with Toronto and earn that starting role.  If he is called for Canada, as a Canada fan, I'll be happy.  As a TFC fan, I'll be devastated that we'll have to use Ranjitsingh in net.

Agree with all of it. It’s a small sample size, but hey, Tom McGill hasn’t played a senior game since last World Cup cycle and yet he’s penciled into most roster predictions. Swiderski is apparently going to be on the roster too (or maybe as a practice keeper?), and he’s a Ligue 2 youth keeper. Gavran has the size that Sirois and Crepeau lack that could get him to a higher level, he’s looked very solid for TFC, and *I* would be comfortable giving him a start, but obviously not how you do things considering how we have. 

Funny that the MLS season running through this international window could actually be very good for Canada. Gavran gets minutes, and I think there’s a legitimate chance Bernadesci makes the Italy squad which gives JMR a good opportunity to regain his spot in the lineup. Don’t know the international status of TFC’s other guys to know if any other fringe guys make it in (Kerr? Stefanovic?), but I do hope Gavran plays, looks great, and ultimately plays for us. 

23 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Interesting to note- I was surprised at how similar Piette and Fraser’s numbers are this season, now that we can properly compare one to the other:

image.thumb.png.25aa88d06081b4f1d5fb27e04ed61af9.png

The only stat in which they really differentiate themselves with is Piette has a full tackle more per 90 than LF and wins a lot more possessions in the final third, whereas Fraser has one more successful clearance per 4 games than Piette and has a much better long ball. 

Everything else is pretty marginal. I think Piette gives us more of what we need than Fraser does, but I have my doubts that his pace can hold up against the teams on our schedule. 

Piette against Netherlands, France and Argentina worries me a bit, but no such worries about Chile and Peru. Seems like he's having a good season though and deserving of a spot this summer, but whether that's a starting spot I am not yet convinced.

28 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

But Fraser doesn't have pace, either.  

It's been a while since Piette played a major role for Canada. CNL vs USA at BMO in 2019. Since then he has been a spot player, including WCQ and didn't see the field in the 3 WC games. Probably our best tackler but he doesn't have the mobility for this level or ability on the ball to deal with a high press. 

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

I was disappointed for us that he made that choice but I respect him for it.  I really like his skillset.

It's interesting because in today's world as many have posted here, players do what's best for their pro career and I doubt that Aidan will make a USA "A" team. They already have top end mids and their pipeline, including recruitment of duals, keep churning out blue chips. 

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

It's interesting because in today's world as many have posted here, players do what's best for their pro career and I doubt that Aidan will make a USA "A" team. They already have top end mids and their pipeline, including recruitment of duals, keep churning out blue chips. 

Agreed, and that's why I respect him for it.  That's who he supports and that's where his heart is, so be it.

Aidan Morris is an American, wanted to play for the US, made that clear, and didn’t dick the federations around too much during his selection process. Can’t hate on that. Maybe he does change his mind once it’s clear he’s never making that US squad (if that’s ever the case), but he was clear on his choice and there’s not much you can say about that. 

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Last time I actively watched him was whenever he last played for Canada, but I’m pretty sure he has better wheels than Piette?

Maybe he edges out Piette in a gridiron-style 40 yard dash but so what?

But apparently judging from the TFC/CF Montréal game that I went to at BMO Field on Saturday, Choiniere was not the only one who looked sloppy but so did Piette, Waterman and Vilsaint. In Vilsaint's case, I can't totally blame him because he's still young. But the other guys I totally can blame for their performance and if these are the players who are supposed to make our Copa America roster, then well good luck with convincing others.

15 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Choniere or man-managing Kone into playing into his strengths as a 6 for me. 

That’s what I’d prefer too. If we’re inclined to bring a real meat and potatoes, lunch pail type of mid though, Fraser has the advantage for me. But I think their differences are negligible and if either have to play serious minutes for us, we’re not in a good spot.