Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

In the eyes of Jesse March, the  first 6 months of his CanMNT skipper job can’t be more perfect regarding the match line ups to prepare for the 2026 WC. 
First 3 matches - Netherlands, France and Argentina

These are for tasting/prep the strongest group opponent in 2026 WC like Germany, Senegal, Japan, Switzerland,  Denmark, Iran, Australia, Austria, Ukraine, South Korea

Two matched next in Copa group - Peru and Chile

These are equivalent opponents for the head on game in WC group game likely vs Hungary, Sweden, Poland Wales, Serbia and Nigeria as well as any second tier CONMEBAL teams.

Last two friendlies (vs Mexico and USA)  to wrap up the preparations for our “beatable” group opponents like Qatar, Cech, Egypt, Scotland, Turkey, Tunisia, Algeria, Romania

Use NL and Gold Cup for formation and roster tune up, arrange another set of friendlies after WC draw. There you go Jesse!

On 5/19/2024 at 1:33 AM, costarg said:

This is what i said: "I'm not singling him out, just showing he is not a FB.  One does not become a fullback at 25 just because he works hard and can run a lot, it's a lot more complicated than that."

Davies did not start playing FB for a national team at 25.  He's been playing FB for years at his regular club.  It's not the same discussion.  Two totally different things.

James Milner played as a CM or winger in the Premier League for 15 years before being dropped in at LB for a full season, performing to a pretty high level in a team emerging as one of the best in the world. He was well over 25 when that happened. Just saying.

3 hours ago, lamptern said:

In the eyes of Jesse March, the  first 6 months of his CanMNT skipper job can’t be more perfect regarding the match line ups to prepare for the 2026 WC. 
First 3 matches - Netherlands, France and Argentina

These are for tasting/prep the strongest group opponent in 2026 WC like Germany, Senegal, Japan, Switzerland,  Denmark, Iran, Australia, Austria, Ukraine, South Korea

Two matched next in Copa group - Peru and Chile

These are equivalent opponents for the head on game in WC group game likely vs Hungary, Sweden, Poland Wales, Serbia and Nigeria as well as any second tier CONMEBAL teams.

Last two friendlies (vs Mexico and USA)  to wrap up the preparations for our “beatable” group opponents like Qatar, Cech, Egypt, Scotland, Turkey, Tunisia, Algeria, Romania

Use NL and Gold Cup for formation and roster tune up, arrange another set of friendlies after WC draw. There you go Jesse!

I definitely agree but so much football to be played between now and 2026 for us and it gives us more than enough adequate preparation 

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

James Milner played as a CM or winger in the Premier League for 15 years before being dropped in at LB for a full season, performing to a pretty high level in a team emerging as one of the best in the world. He was well over 25 when that happened. Just saying.

Dani Alves was a dangerous winger before moving to Barcelona to play fullback. Point is there's a lot more cases of these, and it isn't crazy. 

6 hours ago, spitfire said:

I’d still like to find a way to get Liam and Davies on the same side somehow… laryea and Tajon on the other … that excited me…

And I think that's what everyone is trying to do. It's the only reason why I put him at LB.  For me I just want Davies higher up, with a manager who doesn't let him play hero ball all the time.

1v1 I've rarely seen Millar get beat, and he has the work rate to be up and down. The same way Laryea is effective. 

( @costarg that's another player who went from winger to fullback and has been successful.)

Posted (edited)

This was the quote I was thinking of re: Davies from Marsch:

"Obviously, this year with Bayern he has played more of a left midfielder than he played the past,” Marsch said. “The way I like to play, I like to have rotations where maybe a player is in one position defensively, but then in possession they move into different spots. So I think that that will be key for Alphonso in general: We have to put our best players in positions where they can be at their best. And that will help the team, I think, achieve the most. I have to get to know these players more carefully before I can fully answer. But clearly, I don’t want him to just be a defender. I want him to be a big part of how we attack and how we’re aggressive in possession and in transition.”

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 hours ago, Califax said:

Do we know when we’ll see a roster? 

At least by end of May since Copa America final squads have to be turned in by June 12th since the tournament starts on June 20th

Just now, MauditYvon said:

Well he is... you have to click on the link to see the full picture/list.

Oh okay never mind Argentina 🇦🇷 is definitely deep in depth loaded at every position and for us Canada 🇨🇦 to even get a result especially against that team I'll be shocked 

36 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Is there any hope in hell Sigur will be on our list? We could sure use another DM imo.

Think we have all moved on...he has been 100% wanting Croatia. He has been on their u21 teams and i believe made their extended rosters for the senior team. If he ends up failing to reach them, that would be our only chance. The Jebbison situation part 2

Posted (edited)

I’d imagine Sigur will play out the remainder of the U21 cycle before making an official decision.  This could go all the way into 2025 for him.  Unless he’s given an opportunity to make the 26 man Euro squad, then a decision could be made much sooner.

Edited by Corazon