Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

18 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Now that we have Copa to dangle in front of duals, are there any duals that you think could realistically crack our 23 man roster? Only one I could think of that might stand a chance is Sigur as we need midfield depth

Is Aidan Morris permanently cap-tied with the US?  I feel he could be a really important, quasi necessary piece for us.  Seems like he just tunred 22, so does that "caps before 21" thing apply?

Otherwise, Tom Holmes if a rule change applies?

Edited by costarg

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

Is Aidan Morris permanently cap-tied with the US?  I feel he could be a really important, quasi necessary piece for us.  Seems like he just tunred 22, so does that "caps before 21" thing apply?

Otherwise, Tom Holmes if a rule change applies?

Morris is permanently cap-tied from last years Gold Cup.

I don’t believe Tom Holmes will ever be eligible 

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Copa will come too quickly for Jebbison even if he started immediately getting minutes.  Plus with JRR, Bair and Ugbo I doubt he displaces all of them anytime soon (if ever).  

Exactly, the provisional roster deadline is only 6 weeks away as well so he's more or less out of time already

image.png.64e6c656d2bd9d11234cf81180403ec6.png

6 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Now that we have Copa to dangle in front of duals, are there any duals that you think could realistically crack our 23 man roster? Only one I could think of that might stand a chance is Sigur as we need midfield depth

Yeah one would hope we can attract more dual nationals to want to play for our program

10 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I heard Owen Hargreaves has his agent looking into a possible switch. And he's trying to convince Jonathan De Guzman to come along.

Edited by Sal333

59 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I heard Owen Hargreaves has his agent looking into a possible switch. And he's trying to convince Jonathan De Guzman to come along.

We should get on the line with Tomori and Cristante if that's the case.  #GameChanger

Going to honest, after watching the finals last night, the Americans looked phenomenal, crisp, dynamic. Mexico had a couple moments in the second half but the better team by a mile won. I think these guys are going to win the whole thing, even beating Argentina in the finals. 

5 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Going to honest, after watching the finals last night, the Americans looked phenomenal, crisp, dynamic. Mexico had a couple moments in the second half but the better team by a mile won. I think these guys are going to win the whole thing, even beating Argentina in the finals. 

Lol then you remember that but for some suspect refereeing they would have lost back to back games against Trinidad and Jamaica. 

4 minutes ago, Macksam said:

They've definitely turned a page, there is a smoothness and confidence, definite swagger to their play.  I feel they won't be intimidated by anyone and seem to be close to hitting their peak as a unit.  Their 11 is stronger than the individual pieces which is the opposite of how CANMNT is trending.

I watched last night until the second goal.  

I thought Mexico we pretty poor to be honest.  I was specifically watching Alvarez and it seemed like he was always having to do too much in midfield.  Also the creativity generally was lacking, maybe someone who knows them better can say why Gimenez was not on earlier or from the start.

Hard to legislate for the first goal, the player closing down was late and maybe a bigger keeper with a better jump gets something on it?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Cheapest tickets in the upper bowl were about ~200 USD on the general sale.

Cheapest lower bowls (which by my deduction is where a supporter section would be) were a bit north of $350 USD

Edited by theaub

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

i only watched the second half, but while Mexico were poor i thought the game on the whole was sloppy, frantic, and lacking in flow. 

31 minutes ago, jonovision said:

i only watched the second half, but while Mexico were poor i thought the game on the whole was sloppy, frantic, and lacking in flow. 

There was a slight hit in quality in the second half.

The U.S. has really cemented themselves as top dog in the region by quite a margin. The interesting thing is how far Mexico has fallen off. That #2 spot is wide open.  Even looking at their roster - there’s not much to be scared of. They’ve scored one goal against the U.S. in their last six matches.  We’ve scored 6 against US in the last six. Maybe Flores gets called up my Mexico soon ….

26 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

If we finish 2nd, we play the winner of group B July 5. Probably be Mexico or Ecuador. I'm more excited for this Copa than I was for Qatar.

I don't think I'm more excited, because the World Cup is the World Cup. But, they're playing a much more high profile side (Argentina) at the Copa than they did at the WC, and that feels like it will resonate with the casual fans. Plus, I always look at smaller countries in Europe who manage to qualify for the Euro even if they don't qualify for the WC, and how much it means to them. And I think "that should be this region", that the Copa should be a big, big deal in North America and participating in it should be huge. I'm looking forward to seeing if this becomes a regular joint event. I certainly hope it does.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

The U.S. has really cemented themselves as top dog in the region by quite a margin. The interesting thing is how far Mexico has fallen off. That #2 spot is wide open.  Even looking at their roster - there’s not much to be scared of. They’ve scored one goal against the U.S. in their last six matches.  We’ve scored 6 against US in the last six. Maybe Flores gets called up my Mexico soon ….

This is what crossed my mind last night. For me the USA are still underperforming relative to their talent level and that will continue so long as Berhalter is in charge. It feels they get lucky too often for it to be coincidence, so maybe credit to them for that, but it still feels like they are not close to their ceiling.

Mexico on the other hand just seem to be psychologically beaten by the USA at this point, and they don't seem to be clearly better than us, both on paper and based on the eye test.

Hot take but I think Panama are overrated at this point, or at least I cannot see how they can be much better than they are already. They've done a wonderful job.

Jamaica (maybe more than us) has the potential to be that no. 2 team, or at least compete with Mexico for it. That's our ceiling too imo. 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

World Cup group:

Belgium, Croatia, Morocco 

Copa group:

Argentina, Chile, Peru

Which one is tougher? 

Keep in mind before the wc we didn’t think Morocco was as good as they turned out to be. 

Definitely the World Cup group. Going off the purely first impressions we drew a World Cup finalist and #1 ranked team.  Chile and Peru are good but Morocco and a Croatia are objectively tougher sides.