Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

13 hours ago, narduch said:

Pretty sure Daman Albarn is too young to have been involved in the Falklands war

No ,  the antiperonists from Communist Party and the others from the far right are nicknamed " Gorillas " means antiperonists, anti  labour party and anti social democrats 

On 8/30/2024 at 7:48 PM, JAVIERF said:

No ,  the antiperonists from Communist Party and the others from the far right are nicknamed " Gorillas " means antiperonists, anti  labour party and anti social democrats 

Please continue. What is this all about? I know nothing of Argentine political history but I find this rather fascinating. 

14 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The top 4 in South America WCQ as of today:

1. Argentina 2. Uruguay 3. Colombia 4. Venezuela

It's still sinking in as to how well we did at Copa. We came within a whisker of winning vs 2 out of that top 4.

Not to diminish our Copa results, but Venezuela lost 4-0 to Bolivia yesterday in WCQ.

Sure, it was away from home, and sure it's only one game, but I question how long they'll hold onto 4th if they drop points like that moving forward. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Not to diminish our Copa results, but Venezuela lost 4-0 to Bolivia yesterday in WCQ.

Sure, it was away from home, and sure it's only one game, but I question how long they'll hold onto 4th if they drop points like that moving forward. 

Everybody loses away to Bolivia they play on the moon

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is Bolivia's infamous playing at altitude advantage.

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is Bolivia's infamous playing at altitude advantage.

I remember flying into La Paz fifteen years ago, and its airport has one of the highest elevations in the world.  I remember feeling like I had to focus on breathing until my body adjusted.  It was truly a weird feeling.  I can only imagine how hard it would be to play a game at that elevation.

2 minutes ago, Weng said:

I remember flying into La Paz fifteen years ago, and its airport has one of the highest elevations in the world.  I remember feeling like I had to focus on breathing until my body adjusted.  It was truly a weird feeling.  I can only imagine how hard it would be to play a game at that elevation.

I tried explaining this to my kid yesterday and in his mind they put the stadium on top of the peak of a mountain.

Edited by narduch

24 minutes ago, Weng said:

I remember flying from Lima to La Paz while hungover and I thought I was having a heart attack walking the 50m from the cab to where I was staying. 

It’s not even the fact that Venezuala was on the road away. It’s the fact it was in Bolivia.  And for everyone explaining how difficult it is to play in La Paz, this game was played in El Alto which is actually 1,840 feet higher in elevation than La Paz.  Most South American teams, do not expect to come away from Bolivia with a result.  I believe Bolivia only lost 2 or 3 out of 9 home games last World Cup qualifying cycle.  Bolivia fielding mostly domestic based players also has its benefits as most players are living based in places like La Paz.

Edited by Corazon

Argentina beat Bolivia in Bolivia on matchday 2 by a score of 3-0.

Ecuador beat them 2-1 at home on matchday 3.

On matchday 5 they finally got their first win at home against Peru 2-0

Now in their 4th home match they beat Venezuela 4-0........all mighty Vinitinto eh?

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Argentina beat Bolivia in Bolivia on matchday 2 by a score of 3-0.

Ecuador beat them 2-1 at home on matchday 3.

On matchday 5 they finally got their first win at home against Peru 2-0

Now in their 4th home match they beat Venezuela 4-0........all mighty Vinitinto eh?

They also beat Uruguay 3-0, Paraguay 4-0, Peru 1-0, Venezuela 3-1 and tied Colombia 1-1 last cycle.

Brazil and Argentina usually have just too much talent even with the altitude disadvantage.  The advantage is usually less impactful on Ecuador as well as Quito and Ecuador in general play regularly at very high altitude levels as well.

Edited by Corazon

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Argentinas worst ever defeat was away to Bolivia in 2009. 6-1. 

That’s right, I do remember that.  We helped get their morale back up about a year later before the 2010 World Cup.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

They also beat Uruguay 3-0, Paraguay 4-0, Peru 1-0, Venezuela 3-1 and tied Colombia 1-1 last cycle.

Brazil and Argentina usually have just too much talent even with the altitude disadvantage.  The advantage is usually less impactful on Ecuador as well as Quito and Ecuador in general play regularly at very high altitude levels as well.

Sure, but that was last cycle. If we are trying to rank Venezuela this cycle we don't need to bring up last cycle. 

I'm not trying to make it seem like playing in La Paz is easy. My only point was to question putting Venezuela here....

22 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The top 4 in South America WCQ as of today:

1. Argentina 2. Uruguay 3. Colombia 4. Venezuela

It's still sinking in as to how well we did at Copa. We came within a whisker of winning vs 2 out of that top 4.

And like I said, I am not trying to downplay our tournament, but put Venezuela in the top 4 while you can, because I don't see them holding onto that place for long, as evidenced by their 4-0 loss. Like I said, we've had Argentina and Ecuador go in there and win, plus we had a so-called poor Peru limit Bolivia to just 2 goals. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

plus we had a so-called poor Peru limit Bolivia to just 2 goals. 

Peru is good at defense, they just can't score to save their lives.

I remember playing in a tourist vs tour guide soccer match in Bolivia many moons ago, we (tourists) scored one very early on, then just stood around in front of our net for the rest of it trying to block shots. Not sure if we held on or not, I might have passed out before the end...