Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

On 7/15/2024 at 6:00 AM, Obinna said:

I am fine with them all automatically qualifying. It's their tournament. We are guests.

I know this, and I don't suspect it is going to change. But to me, repeatedly doing it like we (concacaf) did makes us second fiddle, and we have to be better than that. We run a gold cup still, perhaps they need an additional tournament?

To me, this tournament was a disaster (off the field - though including the fields themselves) and I think we shouldn't want to be guests to a bad party. But perhaps if there was a different tournament that wasn't theirs or ours, but shared, it could be better. 

I know it may be crazy, but maybe investing our energy in our own tournament and our own organization isn't so bad after all.  Any partnership with CONMEBOL will have them looking down their nose at us. 

Edited by RJB

11 hours ago, JamboAl said:

But how do you do qualification when the international calendar is already over packed?  Anyways, it’s CONMEBOL’s tournament, they aren’t going to exclude any of their countries for 2 more of CONCACAF’s.

CONMEBOL world cup qualifying is totally unnecessary.  So, I'd start there. They have a eighteen game league that lasts three years just to go from ten teams to seven. 

1 hour ago, RJB said:

I know this, and I don't suspect it is going to change. But to me, repeatedly doing it like we (concacaf) did makes us second fiddle, and we have to be better than that. We run a gold cup still, perhaps they need an additional tournament?

To me, this tournament was a disaster (off the field - though including the fields themselves) and I think we shouldn't want to be guests to a bad party. But perhaps if there was a different tournament that wasn't theirs or ours, but shared, it could be better. 

I know it may be crazy, but maybe investing our energy in our own tournament and our own organization isn't so bad after all.  Any partnership with CONMEBOL will have them looking down their nose at us. 

Well I certainly agree with much of that, particularly the focusing on ourselves bit..

Despite the USA and Mexico getting grouped, which is not what we all expected, I think what we've seen is that upper level CONCACAF teams are competitive. We have no Argentina or even Uruguay in our confederation, and Panama will never transform into present-day Colombia, but Panama did give a pretty solid account of themselves. Canada exceeded expectations and earned their semi final birth. Costa Rica didn't advance, but they never finished bottom. Jamaica probably underachieved.

All in all, we should be proud. The results from CONCACAF seem much better than in 2016, where Haiti were dog-walked (I was in stadium to watch them get smashed 7-1 by Brazil). No CONCACAF team was trounced that badly this time.

Just looked it up. In 2016, CONCACAF had a combined goal difference of -19. This time? -8....and that's with USA and Mexico getting grouped. 

So, for me, all of this progress leaves me wanting more kicks at the can, so I welcome another 6 team CONCACAF invite to Copa America.

Or, something new. Perhaps a small four team tournament, with the Gold Cup semi finalists versus the Copa America semi finalists. 2 groups of 4 like the old Confederations Cup:

Group A:

USA, Colombia, Panama, Brazil

Group B:

Argentina, Mexico, Uruguay, Canada

Based on what we've seen, that would be competitive.

CONMEBOL is probably a little busy dealing with the blowback from the off field criticisms...

But doesn anyone know if they've released a team of the tournament? They've done this in previous versions, if I recall correctly. 

Of course, you can find some outlets that do their own version. I'll share this particular one, as it's given the nod to Shaffleburg:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/copa-america-2024-team-of-the-tournament-best-xi/ar-BB1q1S2x

On 7/12/2024 at 1:38 PM, red card said:

Copa & Euros in some respects have been a different sport. Way more passing in Euros. Copa's style likely impacted by smaller pitches, hotter temps, bad grass, more physical play & more liberal refs. Possibly also due to more dribbling and more vertical passing in Copa matches.

Top 20 pass happy matches are all from the Euros. 3 of 4 Canada matches make the bottom 20. 

GSD6jAYXwAA7sb8.png

How many times did we draw Chile 0-0?

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

CONMEBOL is probably a little busy dealing with the blowback from the off field criticisms...

But doesn anyone know if they've released a team of the tournament? They've done this in previous versions, if I recall correctly. 

Of course, you can find some outlets that do their own version. I'll share this particular one, as it's given the nod to Shaffleburg:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/copa-america-2024-team-of-the-tournament-best-xi/ar-BB1q1S2x

That's a good team, not cliche, quite well considered.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think this is for the final and our third place match, no Canucks . Think this is CONMEBOL.

https://www.infobae.com/colombia/deportes/2024/07/16/cuatro-colombianos-estan-en-el-once-ideal-de-la-ultima-fecha-de-la-copa-america-conozca-quienes-son/

Here's one with Davies our lone representative.

https://www.winsports.co/mas-futbol-internacional/noticias/imperdible-mira-el-equipo-ideal-de-la-copa-america-2024

This is one based on match ratings, no Canadians, only one Colombian.

https://bolavip.com/co/copa-america/el-polemico-once-ideal-de-la-copa-america-2024-donde-solamente-aparece-un-colombiano

^I don’t think Shaffelburg belongs on a best XI list as, much as it pains me to say it, he was absolutely awful in the Argentina semifinal (which I just rewatched last night).

It was painful to rewatch…. as we actually played really well generally in that game, and the refereeing was a major factor, it was truly, horribly one sided.

But both Larin and Shaffelburg had poor first touches pretty much every time, and just generally sprayed the ball all over the place. 

Edited by ensco

It is amusing to think that Canada's success was perhaps a major factor in getting both the US and Mexican managers canned. 

It is one thing to fail. But quite another to fail while the runt of the litter is having success…

1 hour ago, ensco said:

^I don’t think Shaffelburg belongs on a best XI list as, much as it pains me to say it, he was absolutely awful in the Argentina semifinal (which I just rewatched last night).

It was painful to rewatch…. as we actually played really well generally in that game, and the refereeing was a major factor, it was truly, horribly one sided.

But both Larin and Shaffelburg had poor first touches pretty much every time, and just generally sprayed the ball all over the place. 

I think Johnston as best RB probably makes the most sense.