Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

5 hours ago, Cadeau said:

Im thankful for Jesse Marsch! 

So am I, but we are a guest team. We also want the Copa invite in 2028. Insulting the host is best done by Uruguay or another member federation. He should have taken the high road. 

12 minutes ago, JBR said:

So am I, but we are a guest team. We also want the Copa invite in 2028. Insulting the host is best done by Uruguay or another member federation. He should have taken the high road. 

Honestly? If we are to be treated the same way we definitely don't! It's just self-respect at this point...

Its also not like Concacaf doesn't have some cards to play here: Conmebol really wants North American money and media to help Copa have a shot at competing with the Euros and in exchange we were supposed to get a proper experience at a major tournament outside of the World Cup.

Conmebol hasn't delivered their part of the bargain and they need to hear it. It can't be the concacaf, US or Mexico because those who don't want to hear it will be able to just dismiss it as the words of sore losers, it can't be Panama, Costa Rica or Jamaica because they don't have the resonance with the media (with no disrespect to them) and a Conmebol team is obviously way less likely to complain about bias among the refs against CONCACAF teams. 

We needed to be the ones who said something and I am glad we did.

Edited by phil03

7 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Was hosted by Americans not Conmebol.  Conmebol just got the cash

That was the case in 2016 but not in 2024. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40360793/how-much-money-us-soccer-make-copa-america-2024

Watch the whole clip from Marsch. He repeatedly insinuates CONMEBOL is rigging the tournament against CONCACAF teams. 

53 minutes ago, JBR said:

So am I, but we are a guest team. We al.so want the Copa invite in 2028. Insulting the host is best done by Uruguay or another member federation. He should have taken the high road. 

I don't think we have to worry about that.

They often pick their guests by a pre-set criteria. Like being a Gold Cup winner/finalist.

If anything its up to us to keep getting good results.

Edited by narduch

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

They often pick their guests by a pre-set criteria. Like being a Gold Cup winner/finalist.

I guess the question would be do they go back to more individual invites, because the teams that went to this one were ultimately decided by CONCACAF mechanism.

And I guess a silver lining to all this might be that making an expanded world Gold Cup look good is probably more a priority.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Just a few thoughts on this tournament from having attended four of the games:

1. Great to play teams that all have an increased intensity than what we are used to.  The skill level is also something watching it live…especially Argentina who have amazing movement and ball accuracy.

2. I’ve mentioned it before but the fan experience was good to poor at times.  Ticket prices, organization of sections, security, and in KC, the heat made this  horrible for the supporters.  The Peruvian and Venezuelan supporters for the most part were vocal but great to deal with and friendly.  They were also mostly American based.

3. the less I say about CONMEBOL as an organization, the better.  I have a better appreciation for CONCACAF now (that statement is very damning).  

Finally, there are a lot more passionate football/soccer supporters in this country than even we think (and most of them with mixed heritage spending lots of money and time to travel all over the States to support Canada).  That encouraged me a lot especially with the team and Canada Soccer now pointing in the right direction.  We need to keep this momentum going.

46 minutes ago, narduch said:

If we stay this competitive, exciting, and dangerous, we may get invited no matter what.

Edited by nolando

37 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I guess the question would be do they go back to more individual invites, because the teams that went to this one were ultimately decided by CONCACAF mechanism.

And I guess a silver lining to all this might be that making an expanded world Gold Cup look good is probably more a priority.

For all we know they go back to 12 teams and invite Qatar and Saudi Arabia 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The invites always have an economic element. Qatar bought their way in through a sham sponsorship deal. TBF they did the same with the Gold Cup.

Japan is a favourite due to the TV contract and sponsorship.

We don't tick these boxes unfortunately. We do have political muscle with Victor 

2 hours ago, JBR said:

At the end of the day, is it a fair competition or a coronation? I would hope a fair competition.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Just a few thoughts on this tournament from having attended four of the games:

1. Great to play teams that all have an increased intensity than what we are used to.  The skill level is also something watching it live…especially Argentina who have amazing movement and ball accuracy.

2. I’ve mentioned it before but the fan experience was good to poor at times.  Ticket prices, organization of sections, security, and in KC, the heat made this  horrible for the supporters.  The Peruvian and Venezuelan supporters for the most part were vocal but great to deal with and friendly.  They were also mostly American based.

3. the less I say about CONMEBOL as an organization, the better.  I have a better appreciation for CONCACAF now (that statement is very damning).  

Finally, there are a lot more passionate football/soccer supporters in this country than even we think (and most of them with mixed heritage spending lots of money and time to travel all over the States to support Canada).  That encouraged me a lot especially with the team and Canada Soccer now pointing in the right direction.  We need to keep this momentum going.

And a HUGE thanks to you for everything you did getting tickets organized under the circumstances. The communication, efficiency and organization is nowhere without you Al, which I can only imagine was very difficult to pull off repeatedly over the last 6 weeks or so.  Again, thank you so much!

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The invites always have an economic element. Qatar bought their way in through a sham sponsorship deal. TBF they did the same with the Gold Cup.

We don't tick these boxes unfortunately. We do have political muscle with Victor 

It's a shame the next 2 WC locations have already been determined, because the 35 member voting block CONCACAF brings is always good leverage for Victor.

I think it will depend on if the Copa sticks at 16 teams or reverts to 12.  If it's 12, we're probably not getting the invite.  At 16, there's a much more reasonable chance.

2 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Qatar was an arrangement because as they were hosting, they did not have official qualifying matches. 

You have said quite a few accurate things but if you think of all the countries in the world with sponsors Qatar was randomly chosen you are mistaken.

In fact, it is a bit rich to say that about Qatar, when this Copa in the US was planned specifically as a prep for 2026, hosted by Concacaf, and Concacaf got the 6 invites for that reason alone.

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Qatar was an arrangement because as they were hosting, they did not have official qualifying matches. 

You have said quite a few accurate things but if you think of all the countries in the world with sponsors Qatar was randomly chosen you are mistaken.

In fact, it is a bit rich to say that about Qatar, when this Copa in the US was planned specifically as a prep for 2026, hosted by Concacaf, and Concacaf got the 6 invites for that reason alone.

Qatar played in 2 Gold Cups, the 2nd of which was AFTER the world cup in 2023 and just so happened to be within the timeframe of the government-owned Qatar Airway sponsorship contract. What competition were they "preparing" for???

https://www.concacaf.com/news/concacaf-and-qatar-airways-agree-to-multi-year-confederation-wide-partnership/

At the 2021 Gold Cup, they paid Fox to get their QF with El Salvador moved from FS1 to the main Fox network in Saturday night primetime with an ad inventory of Qatar propaganda. They even paid fans to dress up as Qatar fans. 

Qatar Airways, with barely any flights to South America signs up as CONMEBOL's biggest sponsor and Qatar just appears in the Copa 8 months later. They were even announced as a guest team for 2020 (moved to 2021) but they had to pull out due to rescheduling.

https://en.as.com/en/2018/11/02/soccer/1541148083_700769.html

After all the things Qatar has bought and paid for. All you have to ask yourself is this. If you take away the government owned airline sponsorship deals, does CONMEBOL or CONCACAF have any interest in "inviting" Qatar? We all know the answer. 

2 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Qatar played in 2 Gold Cups, the 2nd of which was AFTER the world cup in 2023 and just so happened to be within the timeframe of the government-owned Qatar Airway sponsorship contract. What competition were they "preparing" for???

https://www.concacaf.com/news/concacaf-and-qatar-airways-agree-to-multi-year-confederation-wide-partnership/

At the 2021 Gold Cup, they paid Fox to get their QF with El Salvador moved from FS1 to the main Fox network in Saturday night primetime with an ad inventory of Qatar propaganda. They even paid fans to dress up as Qatar fans. 

Qatar Airways, with barely any flights to South America signs up as CONMEBOL's biggest sponsor and Qatar just appears in the Copa 8 months later. They were even announced as a guest team for 2020 (moved to 2021) but they had to pull out due to rescheduling.

https://en.as.com/en/2018/11/02/soccer/1541148083_700769.html

After all the things Qatar has bought and paid for. All you have to ask yourself is this. If you take away the government owned airline sponsorship deals, does CONMEBOL or CONCACAF have any interest in "inviting" Qatar? We all know the answer. 

Another one of these Qatar conspiracy theorists, charming.

After the atrocious pitches I doubt if another Copa America is ever played in the U.S.  again.  With their make-do pitches am not sure how will FIFA handle the situation next WC.  Canada better pull up their socks.

14 minutes ago, The Ref said:

After the atrocious pitches I doubt if another Copa America is ever played in the U.S.  again.  With their make-do pitches am not sure how will FIFA handle the situation next WC.  Canada better pull up their socks.

I know there are a lot of issues in the world that need to be fixed with all the wars, racism, poverty, injustices, global warming, etc..... I just hope a movement to finally get rid of artificial turfs for good picks up steam and gains traction at some point. 

27 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Some of these stadiums with too small pitches are also World Cup stadiums. 

I wonder if they are really going to do the work to make the fields larger.

There are only 2 years to go

To me, it was always American Football vs Soccer = Artificial turf vs Natural grass

While English/Australian football can be played on nautical grass, why not American football?
It’s about maintenance cost or tradition?

Will hybrid turf be the solution moving forward?

I know this is a bit off topic, but I’ve been wondering for a while.