Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

2 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

Who says Uruguay is going with their A team?

Ths is the tough call. 

If we change the entire team it's weaker and we can't expect to get a historical third place at Copa. But our guys are tired and they need to start a bit of holidays before the club season. A lot of them are going to burn out in a few months because of the intensity. 

So I'd prefer a few regulars, those who haven't played everything (Kone, Oso, Laryea) to give us some continuity. Maybe St Clair too. But the rest guys who haven't had minutes. Then, if we are in it going into the last 30 minutes, we can put in a Larin, Cornelius to help protect a lead, Shaff and Millar. 

The one player who we didn't give anything to in Qatar who deserved minutes in a meaningless game was Piette. Fans just forget to easily and there are some guys I hope Marsch takes care of. But mostly Piette.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ths is the tough call. 

If we change the entire team it's weaker and we can't expect to get a historical third place at Copa. But our guys are tired and they need to start a bit of holidays before the club season. A lot of them are going to burn out in a few months because of the intensity. 

So I'd prefer a few regulars, those who haven't played everything (Kone, Oso, Laryea) to give us some continuity. Maybe St Clair too. But the rest guys who haven't had minutes. Then, if we are in it going into the last 30 minutes, we can put in a Larin, Cornelius to help protect a lead, Shaff and Millar. 

The one player who we didn't give anything to in Qatar who deserved minutes in a meaningless game was Piette. Fans just forget to easily and there are some guys I hope Marsch takes care of. But mostly Piette.

Like I said earlier keep your top guys on the bench. Keeping those top guys off the pitch will actually be a positive when it comes to those players club teams. Don’t risk injury or further burnout. 

10 hours ago, weathermanfran said:

Not surprising based on their populations but looks like crowd is > 90% Colombian. If we face Uruguay it might be the least intimidating atmosphere of all our games.

Not overly familiar with the demographics so I was pretty surprised by the crowd composition last night.  It isn't surprising that one team might have a bit more support than the other but in this case it was a sea of yellow.    

There are 1.9 million Americans of Brazilian descent, 1.4 million Americans of Colombian descent, 800,000 of Venezuelan descent, 300,000 of Argentinian descent … and approx 50K of Uruguayan descent.

Uruguay-Canada is kind of a disaster for the moneymen. The stadium will be empty.

Edited by ensco

4 minutes ago, ensco said:

There are 1.9 million Americans of Brazilian descent, 1.4 million Americans of Colombian descent, 800,000 of Venezuelan descent, 300,000 of Argentinian descent … and approx 50K of Uruguayan descent.

Uruguay-Canada is kind of a disaster for the moneymen. The stadium will be empty.

If it kills any advantage the opposition may have, I am fine with it. 

44 minutes ago, ensco said:

F them.  Their disregard for the fans of many fanbases, especially Canadians... they can suck it.

Uruguay is the smallest country in South America by far (of the non-CONMEBOL Guyanas). Even Paraguay is twice the population. They're also way down south and don't have anything close to an iconic player that non-nationals might be interested in seeing. There's gonna be no one at the game lol.

19 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Uruguay is the smallest country in South America by far (of the non-CONMEBOL Guyanas). Even Paraguay is twice the population. They're also way down south and don't have anything close to an iconic player that non-nationals might be interested in seeing. There's gonna be no one at the game lol.

Nobody is interested in seeing Luis Suárez in the world of football? Or Valverde?

I would go see Uruguay in a friendly.

In any case, since they just played in the same stadium, anyone interested in them would have gone to the semis.

7 hours ago, Pomoxis said:

Based on statements tonight from CONMEBOL and the Uruguayan Football Association, I expect no suspensions.

Either there need to be suspensions, or CONMEBOL need to make a public statement statement apologizing for their security arrangements and outline clear improvements they will make for the final. Or both.

Anything less is farce.

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Either there need to be suspensions, or CONMEBOL need to make a public statement statement apologizing for their security arrangements and outline clear improvements they will make for the final. Or both.

Anything less is farce.

But also right on par.  Mickey Mouse.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nobody is interested in seeing Luis Suárez in the world of football? Or Valverde?

I would go see Uruguay in a friendly.

In any case, since they just played in the same stadium, anyone interested in them would have gone to the semis.

Suarez at this point in his career? Maybe Real Madrid heads in the area would be willing to fork out that cash to see Valverde in his prime. Idk.

3 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Saw this stat graphic... CONCACAF showing up in spots 2-5 yikes.

image.png.1bfb8c55fe1e7b26b08f39afd110d2fc.png

I'd really like to know what are the 4 "big chances" are that David is meant to have had. I can think of only 2. His goal, and his miss on a similar break against Venezuela. Is in-tight chance late in 1H against Argentina was not a chance where anyone could have had an expectation of scoring, but I'm sure it's one of the others.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You don't like football, and the general tone seems a bit fake, don't you think?

I do or I wouldn't be posting here. I don't know what it seems like to you. I suspect I stumbled on to some bizarre hangup you have I'm not interested in investigating.

I'd really like to know what are the 4 "big chances" are that David is meant to have had. I can think of only 2. His goal, and his miss on a similar break against Venezuela. Is in-tight chance late in 1H against Argentina was not a chance where anyone could have had an expectation of scoring, but I'm sure it's one of the others.

I think that little looping cross from Shaf was one but that looked just a few inches high imo as it came off the top of David’s head.

I think his header against Argentina in Game 1 would be another one.

Good to see this moronic soccer-bashing hockey dude being put in his place:

Why not just stick to your own sport if you have ADD and need a goal every 5 or 10 minutes because you can't cope with soccer's tactical complexity. Let's throw some fights in there as well to appeal to the lowest common denominator and sell more beer while we are at it.

9 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Why not just stick to your own sport if you have ADD and need a goal every 5 or 10 minutes because you can't cope with soccer's tactical complexity. Let's throw some fights in there as well to appeal to the lowest common denominator and sell more beer while we are at it.

He is the CFL guy, I believe.

21 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The only fair point I take from the non-soccer sport fans who have jumped on the bandwagon for Copa (many of my friends fall into this category) is the diving, rolling around, faking injury... which we romantacize by calling it the 'dark-arts'.  They have a point.  Johnston is their new favourite because he didn't fall to the ground after being elbowed in the head.   And interestingly, none of them have complained about the 'lack of goals' argument Naylor brings up.

21 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Naylor is good people but I don't agree with his comments here.