Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Our opponent may be thinking the same thing and will make line up changes too

They may also just not care as much as they should. Either of those team must think they can win this thing.  Sometimes hard to escape the let down. 

And if the tourney has taught me anything, it could be the Boer War between those 2 tonight. 

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They may also just not care as much as they should. Either of those team must think they can win this thing.  Sometimes hard to escape the let down. 

And if the tourney has taught me anything, it could be the Boer War between those 2 tonight. 

Our opponent also won't have nearly such a large drop-off in quality to their second-choice players.

I would like to see us switch up the formation a bit. 

In goal. I think Crepeau starts. With a good game he could potentially be keeper of the tournament, but I'm ok with DSC getting a start as well.

At the back I think we should continue with Cornelius and Bombito in the middle. Might as well continue to grow that partnership. Along with Johnston on the right who has been a pleasant suprise to see him return to his WCQ form. At the left is a tossup could be any of Davies, Ahmed, or Laryea. 

In the mid I want to at least see what a trio looks like. If Kone and Eustaquio are up to it then them two along with one of Choiniere or Osorio. 

Wingers I have no idea. One of Millar or Shaff on the left. Millar hasn't been great, but he seems better suited to start and Shaff is much more effective as a sub. On the right I have no idea. I suppose Laryea or Ahmed. Tajon would be ideal.

Up front I want to see David as a lone forward and see us move the ball through the mid to him in dangerous situations.

13 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Our opponent also won't have nearly such a large drop-off in quality to their second-choice players.

Not sure to be honest, they have been incredible teams but the individuals beyond the first 11, certainly first 15, are not that much more talented. 

Break up the team in making changes, who knows. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I think we’re still trying to win, best players will play although I could be wrong, this is a few options I could see.

Crepeau

Johnston Bombito Cornelius Davies

Kone Staq

Ahmed  David      Millar

Tani           

Crepeau

Johnston Bombito Cornelius Ahmed

Kone Staq

Laryea David Millar

Tani

Crepeau

LDF Bombito Cornelius Davies

Choinere Staq Kone

Ahmed                     Millar

Tani/David

I don't see Marsch tweaking formation and that's a good thing. We should continue with what got us here.

---------Larin---David------

Shaff---Kone--Eustaquio--Layrea

Ahmed--Cornelius--Bombito--Johnston

-------------Crepeau-------

Part of me feels there's rotation coming from the start, in the form of Choniere and LDF, but the only change I make here is Ahmed for an injured Davies. Can't imagine him starting the way he limped off. If he's dressed that'd be a minor miracle by the looks of it. The news was that everything was "all good", but that was likely with respect to breaking something, but he could still have a pretty nasty knock otherwise to have come off like he did. 

Ahmed is my choice for left back. We are short of options and he did well when thrust back there. I suppose we could go Miller, but I just don't see it. Laryea and Ahmed could be swapped, but Ahmed looks better cutting inside from the left, whilr Laryea should build off his RW reps this tournament, imo.

I am against the calls for Tani to start. All the criticism of Larin, but Tani hasn't scored either and he's arguably had more chances at goal than Larin has, while not really displaying the same quality of hold up play. 

Last comment: I am disappointed with Millar this tournament, after having two very good friendlies. Even in game 1 against Argentina I don't recall him struggling. Last match though was really unfortunate with his lack of final ball. He'll be disappointed in himself too, I am sure, but he just has to pick his head up and do better.

Despite the critics I still believe in this player, but he needs to improve his final actions. 

Just now, Ottawafan said:

I am good with emptying the bench in the third place game.  Best to see at this point what Canada might have amongst its lightly used players against good competition. 

My guess is Piette sees the field as a thank you for his service.  

I wouldn't mind playing our other guys like Choiniere, LDF, Piette, Tani, etc in this game especially for 3rd place

21 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

I am good with emptying the bench in the third place game.  Best to see at this point what Canada might have amongst its lightly used players against good competition. 

I'd like to see Bair get a chance.  Aside from possible ranking points, I really don't care much about the game

53 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

I can understand where you are coming from but IMO there is two things coming with this game that should make us play to win:

I. A bunch of points to the FIFA rankings, with the attached benefits. I am not sure but I *believe* this one would have significantly more weight then a friendly. I don't think its going to get us back to the 33rd spot we had before the whole CSB mess emerged but we could very well be pretty close... At the very least it should jump us over Panama, which would be significant in the Nations League.

II. $2.5 millions in extra prize money, and despite Blue's good work the federation could still very much use its share of cash...

18 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I'm not sure I want us to play either of these teams. The pace and intensity has been off the charts in the 1st half

Colombia is technically really good, and they're intense and physical.  When I saw them go ahead I thought, good because at least we have a chance against Uruguay.  But now that they're down to 10, are we going to have to play them?  😬

3 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Colombia is technically really good, and they're intense and physical.  When I saw them go ahead I thought, good because at least we have a chance against Uruguay.  But now that they're down to 10, are we going to have to play them?  😬

Uruguay can't bully this Colombia team like they did with Brazil, but yes the red card is a concern. 

Not surprising based on their populations but looks like crowd is > 90% Colombian. If we face Uruguay it might be the least intimidating atmosphere of all our games.

BTW, should be close to the same weather as the semifinal. Night time but hot and humid, around 30 degrees.

Edited by weathermanfran