Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

https://canadiansoccerdaily.com/2024/06/22/canadas-copa-america-debut-watched-by-1-1-million-canadians/

To contrast, US-Bolivia got 3.2M English-language viewers down south; considered quite high by most accounts.

I'd guess 300,000 for early Peru match; hopefully 600,000+ for Chile. Won't get to 1 Mil on Friday, but hopefully close. All of which would be very very respectful.

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

Those are really good numbers!

No, those are INSANELY good numbers. Shows what TSN can do for Canadian soccer when it puts its back into it.

Wish supporters were as interested in Copa as the casual fans are.

For comparison, that beats TFC in the MLS Cup in 2016, and blows away the TFC-Montreal game the week earlier.

Edited by CanadianTraveller

Does this board look anything like World Cup, or even WCQ? How's the audience at watch parties? Let's not talk about in person attendance.

We're not just "going to the Hex" this time, nor is this the usual B-Side Mexico and C-Side U.S. playing for the Gold Cup. We are actually in the knockout stage of the 3rd biggest world football nation vs nation tournament. We actually WON a match. I would have thought interest, excitement, activity would be higher? Or is Copa a non-event? Maybe everyone's waiting for Canada to win at match at Euros?

Or maybe I'm in the wrong room at the party? 😁

18 minutes ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Does this board look anything like World Cup, or even WCQ? How's the audience at watch parties? Let's not talk about in person attendance.

We're not just "going to the Hex" this time, nor is this the usual B-Side Mexico and C-Side U.S. playing for the Gold Cup. We are actually in the knockout stage of the 3rd biggest world football nation vs nation tournament. We actually WON a match. I would have thought interest, excitement, activity would be higher? Or is Copa a non-event? Maybe everyone's waiting for Canada to win at match at Euros?

This forum during world cup was full of non supporters signing on for the first time. Also you’re making the assumption that everyone who posts here is a “supporter”.

This is just a forum to discuss, it’s not an accurate barometer of “supporter” excitement and interest. 

maybe there is less activity now vs the world cup because less casual fans are posting on it. 

8 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I wonder if TSN would start licensing MNT friendlies?

If Peter Augruso guaranteed one name-brand match each window from now to 26, and CSB wrote a contract with financial penalties if they couldn't make a match (like the October window), TSN would pay real honest-to-goodness money to CanPL CSB. TSN spends a lot of ad-time promoting the game, and the results from Copa don't lie.

But there has to be regular, reliable product. If not before 26, then most definitely after. And it can't be Canada vs Dominica (or Dominican Republic, or even our nemesis Haiti.) At least one Top 50 match every window.

5 minutes ago, king1010 said:

This forum during world cup was full of non supporters signing on for the first time. Also you’re making the assumption that everyone who posts here is a “supporter”.

This is just a forum to discuss, it’s not an accurate barometer of “supporter” excitement and interest. 

maybe there is less activity now vs the world cup because less casual fans are posting on it. 

Also - WC Matchday 1 vs Belgium thread - 34 pages.  Copa Matchday 1 vs Argentina thread - 33 pages.

19 hours ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Shows what TSN can do for Canadian soccer when it puts its back into it....

no.   please dont give these idiots any respect or credit.  after the match vs chilé finished, i was looking to seeing caldwell and kilbane give their takes on what just happened.  instead, duthie (i assume was told to) force a super quick turbo wrap-up, thus denying the nation a proper conclusion to a historical night.   

for my money... tsn (and the rest of corporate canada) and all of them late-do-comers (is that the correct phrase btw?) can go shove it. 

just curious if any of u rememeber in the lead up to qatar, we saw beaver buzz EVERYWHERE on all MNT broadcasts.  

two takes: 

1. is that seriously representative the kinda money the national conglomerates are willing to throw at this program?

2. there was another 'big brand' who was also a late champion of the MNT.  i seem to remember they were using the colours red, white and blue, but i forget what they sold.  no doubt they had a ceo voyageur, but same argument: MNT and the WNT dont get any respect.

3. another one i just remembered was tide.   huge supporters back then, but where they now, and why where they able to muscle ahead of BCE, Rogers, Shaw, Air Canada, Ford, GMC, CIBC, RBC, BMO, TD, BNS, Loblaws, Weston, CDN TRE, Roots....

* fwiw... the reason why duthie was instructed to turbo wrap up the broadcast was so they could show "top 10 defensive plays" for the remainder of that :30 block.  

at the top of the hr, they went to SC, so i assumed they wanted to save something for that.   in the intro, they did lead with it!  and their opening story indeed was it!   give them credit also, they did the simultaneous highlites simulating the dual match dynamics at play wrt ARG-PER, but when their bit ended, it was all completed in about 6-7 mins... with analysis!  🤨 (cant find angry emoji)

after that, they went to CFL highlites, then their quick euro reviews and then a lengthy preview about the NHL draft in 2 days....   smh.   sorry for rant 

Edited by kungfucious

2 hours ago, CanadianTraveller said:

No, those are INSANELY good numbers. Shows what TSN can do for Canadian soccer when it puts its back into it.

Wish supporters were as interested in Copa as the casual fans are.

For comparison, that beats TFC in the MLS Cup in 2016, and blows away the TFC-Montreal game the week earlier.

Casuals were more interested in the Qatar World Cup than Copa. Likewise, Euros overall average audience is about 4-5x higher than Copa.

The audience for Canada's Qatar matches vs Belgium & Croatia were 3-4x higher than Canada at Copa America so far. The Morocco match is the only one lower than Chile's figure but higher than Argentina match.

Jamaica WCQ clincher tv audience was also higher than any of Canada's Copa matches so far.

Club football has much lower traction in Canada than national team football to make it a proper comparison. But TFC in MLS Cup Final 2016 audience was higher than Argentina match and just about level with Chile match. Likewise for 2016's Leg 2 of TFC/Impact. 

Edited by red card

52 minutes ago, kungfucious said:

no.   please dont give these idiots any respect or credit.  after the match vs chile finished, i was looking to seeing caldwell and kilbane give their takes on what just happened.  instead, duthie (i assume was told to) force a super quick turbo wrap-up, thus denying the nation a proper conclusion to a historical night.   

for my money... tsn (and the rest of corporate canada) and all of them late-do-comers (is that the correct phrase btw?) can go shove it. 

just curius if any of u rememeber in the lead up to qatar, we saw beaver buzz EVERYWHERE on all MNT broadcasts.  

two takes: 

1. is that seriously representative the kinda money the national conglomerates are willing to throw at this program?

2. there was another 'big brand' who was also a late champion of the MNT.  i seem to remember they were using the colours red, white and blue, but i forget whar they sold.  no doubt they had a ceo voyageur, but same argument: MNT and the WNT dont get any respect.

3. another one i just remembered was tide.   huge supporters back then, but where they now, and why where they able to muscle ahead of BCE, Rogers, Shaw, Air Canada, Ford, GMC, CIBC, RBC, BMO, TD, BNS, Loblaws, Weston, CDN TRE, Roots....

* fwiw... the reason why duthie was instructed to turbo wrap up the broadcast was so they could show "top 10 defensive plays" for the remainder of that :30 block.  

at the top of the hr, they went to SC, so i assumed they wanted to save something for that.   in the intro, they did lead with it!  and their opening story indeed was it!   give them credit also, they did the simultaneous highlites simulating the dual match dynamics at play wrt ARG-PER, but when their bit ended, it was all completed in about 6-7 mins... with analysis!  🤨 (cant find angry emoji)

after that, they went to CFL highlites, then their quick euro reviews and then a lengthy preview about the NHL draft in 2 days....   smh.   sorry for rant 

I guess you cannot please everybody . I am just glad  TSN is showing this . and at the same time glad we are progressing  in the Copa 

2 hours ago, red card said:

Casuals were more interested in the Qatar World Cup than Copa. Likewise, Euros overall average audience is about 4-5x higher than Copa.

The audience for Canada's Qatar matches vs Belgium & Croatia were 3-4x higher than Canada at Copa America so far. The Morocco match is the only one lower than Chile's figure but higher than Argentina match.

Jamaica WCQ clincher tv audience was also higher than any of Canada's Copa matches so far.

Club football has much lower traction in Canada than national team football to make it a proper comparison. But TFC in MLS Cup Final 2016 audience was higher than Argentina match and just about level with Chile match. Likewise for 2016's Leg 2 of TFC/Impact. 

All quite accurate. Also accurate is the 12 month+ build up of both the World Cup (even before Canada qualied) and Euros, versus a very brief build (on TSN) to Canada @ Copa. Also a lack of mainstream media interest in Copa. So expecting WC viewership levels from casuals who wouldn't know Copa from Coke is unreasonable.

And so yes 1.6 Mil for a practically unknown event ("but I hear it's a big thing in South America!") for a team that had completely disappeared from public interest for 18 months is insanely great, and that we're even comparing it to the championship match of a 20-year old team in the center of the universe that had a weekly match for eight months prior...is insanely good (You might recall a MLS Cup promo running...about every second commercial block the week prior. I'm not seeing those for Copa during Wimbledon coverage. Maybe during Euros?)

Sadly Canada men's Soccer doesn't have a lot of comparibles. Hopefully the last 3+ years is the start of a wonderful change in that. Maybe we'll be laughing at a "mere" 1.6 for an unimportant group stage match in Copa?

14 hours ago, CanadianTraveller said:

... Hopefully the last 3+ years is the start of a wonderful change in that. Maybe we'll be laughing at a "mere" 1.6 for an unimportant group stage match in Copa?

@gigi riva sorry for the previous rant.   my point is/was that the mainstream media (+ corporate canada) shouldnt get any credit when the national programs have done well despite their bandwagon attitude wrt airtime and sponsorship.

@CanadianTraveller what u said was exactly what my next thought was gonna be.  its hard for me to compute this, but

1.  is it all gravy from this point on?

or are we currently witnessing history with the MNT at a high point?  thus expectations (are reasonabe and) suggest...

2. the boys could arguably take down anybody from group B? 

* is THIS where we are now?!   i dont want false starts like the yanks, but w/o confetti and hype, are we the real deal now?

19 hours ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Euros is a big part of it, but I think the tournament being in the US is a part of the reason. It’s like we’re playing a Gold Cup that also features Messi. I think if this tournament was held in Brazil, a lot of fans would take this more seriously. We also didn’t have a long qualifying period where we beat the odds to qualify- we got a free berth and the tournament wasn’t marketed very well in Canada. I bet you a lot of casuals we’re flipping channels, landed on TSN and were like “what the heck is Canada doing playing Argentina???”

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Euros is a big part of it, but I think the tournament being in the US is a part of the reason. It’s like we’re playing a Gold Cup that also features Messi. I think if this tournament was held in Brazil, a lot of fans would take this more seriously. We also didn’t have a long qualifying period where we beat the odds to qualify- we got a free berth and the tournament wasn’t marketed very well in Canada. I bet you a lot of casuals we’re flipping channels, landed on TSN and were like “what the heck is Canada doing playing Argentina???”

At first glance I'd agree with your comments...but no one was flipping around on a Canada Day weekend and stopped on Canada vs Chile. Or maybe they thought Chile was Argentina?

And being played in the U.S. I'd hope??? that it'd be clearer that this is the "4 Continents Championship" (to borrow from skating), with apologies to Morocco, and has the best teams in the world not on morning television. And that it'd be easier to support with it being next door instead of a long haul flight away.

It'd be sad but understandable if Euros distracted casual fans. I'm not expecting 3.6 Mil (Euro 2020 Final) to watch Venezuela on a summer Friday night. But I seriously hope it's not distracting supporters, who IMHO should be celebrating Friday night as much as any match since 2000. Hope everyone has fun watching wherever they are.

It's sort of wild to me to see rach game discussion run 30+ pages, a Canada Copa page at 90+, and a thread for the other Copa matches at 30+ pages, (with Copa discussion also bleeding in to other threads), with TSN drawing 1m+ during the summer and which they're giving it their full backing (including a 90 minute pre-game on Friday) and some supporters are labeling this as a "disappointment".