Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

8 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

In the unlikey? event of a Venezualan loss tomorrow, do we want Mexico or Ecuador to catch them. 

Ecuador has some really good players and Mexico is Mexico, huge support but not looking amazing lately. 

Mexico, no question. They aren't the team they used to be and some huge wholes in some positions, even if they have diamonds in some spot, and I'd imagine the refs will be kinder to nice against Mexico then against a Conmebol team.

In any case, I just don't think its going to happen. Jamaica's internal troubles are hurting them even more then ours hurt us last year and they are eliminated so its Venezuela we should be preparing for.

Edited by phil03

31 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Mexico, no question. They aren't the team they used to be and some huge wholes in some positions, even if they have diamonds in some spot, and I'd imagine the refs will be kinder to nice against Mexico then against a Conmebol team.

In any case, I just don't think its going to happen. Jamaica's internal troubles are hurting them even more then ours hurt us last year and they are eliminated so its Venezuela we should be preparing for.

Venezuela's incentive for topping the group is avoiding Argentina. I will be shocked if they aren't our opponent.

I actually think they will be tougher than Peru or Chile. They are 4th in Conmebol WCQ. And for those that give ELO Rankings respect, they are currently 21, compare to our 32.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Venezuela's incentive for topping the group is avoiding Argentina. I will be shocked if they aren't our opponent.

I actually think they will be tougher than Peru or Chile. They are 4th in Conmebol WCQ. And for those that give ELO Rankings respect, they are currently 21, compare to our 32.

I welcome a match up against them

Really hope we practice penalties at some point this week. Seems to be a common downfall for us.

Also for those thinking we should be playing better being up aan so much, Venezuela played up a man for 68 minutes against Ecuador. In the game against Mexico the xg was 2.99-1.09 in favour of Mexico. Venezuela's goal came on a pk, so they certainly haven't played well either.

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

All yellow cards get wiped out after the group stage according to the One Soccer post game thing I just listened to

https://en.as.com/soccer/what-are-the-suspension-rules-for-yellow-cards-in-the-copa-america-2024-n/?outputType=amp

According to this site, they say after the quarter finals, which makes more sense as to avoid players missing the final on 2 yellows by resetting fresh in the semis.

Obviously very concerning with the number of guys we have on yellows, especially our back line if we can sneak into the semis 

17 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

https://en.as.com/soccer/what-are-the-suspension-rules-for-yellow-cards-in-the-copa-america-2024-n/?outputType=amp

According to this site, they say after the quarter finals, which makes more sense as to avoid players missing the final on 2 yellows by resetting fresh in the semis.

Obviously very concerning with the number of guys we have on yellows, especially our back line if we can sneak into the semis 

The Athletic has it the other way

"Accumulated yellow cards are reset after the group stage — a more forgiving rule than the European Championship, which is taking place at the same time, where the yellow card tally includes the last-16 and quarter-final stages too."

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5580657/2024/06/22/copa-america-2024-yellow-cards-ban-suspensions/

Interesting to see who's right.

Edit: Looks like the Athletic.

"Article 143º - The cautions applied by the referee shall be recorded and the player or official who receives a total of two yellow cards consecutively or alternately shall be suspended for the next match of the respective phase. However, the accumulation of yellow cards from the Group Stage becomes null and void from the start of the Knockout Stage (Quarter-finals onwards). However, a player or official who, during the last match of the Group Stage, receives a caution which, due to accumulation, results in his automatic suspension for the following match, shall serve the suspension in the first match of the Knockout Stage"

https://copaamerica.com/pdf/CA2024-Reglamento-en.pdf

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

yellow cards wipe out after the group stage...

https://copaamerica.com/pdf/CA2024-Reglamento-2024-06-15-en.pdf

Article 143 page 65.

Article 143° - The cautions applied by the referee shall be recorded and the player or official who receives a total of two yellow cards consecutively or alternately shall be suspended for the next match of the respective phase. However, the accumulation of yellow cards from the Group Stage becomes null and void from the start of the Knockout Stage (Quarter-finals onwards). However, a player or official who, during the last match of the Group Stage, receives a caution which, due to accumulation, results in his automatic suspension for the following match, shall serve the suspension in the first match of the Knockout Stage.

Edited by spitfire

39 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Our performance will only bode well for getting someone like Jebbo and Koleosho to comitt. Fridays game is massive, if we win man have we proven something.

We don't really know the mindset of these guys but you would think if they were considering getting on board they would have done so for the high profile friendlies which wouldn't have cap tied them and if the experience was positive they could have played in this exciting well viewed tournament! I am not holding my breath for any of these fence sitters!

12 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

In the unlikey? event of a Venezualan loss tomorrow, do we want Mexico or Ecuador to catch them. 

Ecuador has some really good players and Mexico is Mexico, huge support but not looking amazing lately. 

Watched the Mexico match the other night and was shocked by their play.  What happened to the crisp passing and creativity?  I've never seen them soo flat.