Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

42 minutes ago, frmr said:

The smaller fields are a disadvantage for us. It favours older teams like Chile who might not have the legs to stretch the field like we do, and it handcuffs us a bit in transition where we are most dangerous.

How is a smaller field worse for a team that can't handle the heat? We were quite possibly saved by the smaller field because we could have been even more exposed and run ragged. 

Yes, unless you're very technical a small pitch is harder for attacks, but the point when you're suffering heat stress is to use the smaller field size to your advantage defensively.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How is a smaller field worse for a team that can't handle the heat? We were quite possibly saved by the smaller field because we could have been even more exposed and run ragged. 

Yes, unless you're very technical a small pitch is harder for attacks, but the point when you're suffering heat stress is to use the smaller field size to your advantage defensively.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest Chile will be any better at dealing with heat than us. Our biggest strength is our speed and youth our players need space to take advantage of that. In fact the older Chileans might even be more affected by the heat than us. A small pitch favours older legs far more than it does us.

The small field thing is ridiculous. Money has way too much of a say in tournaments hosted in USA. They have plenty of appropriately sized grass field stadiums in the USA, but they decide to use plastic fields that they have to throw grass on top of, and then reduce the field size as well. The American women's national team would never stand for this shabby treatment.

I see the Argentina and Chile coaches were suspended for the last group game each for coming out late after halftime.  Why did it take two games for the Argentina coach to get his punishment?  It feels like they saw the Chile coach do it and decided to retroactively suspend the Argentina coach to keep it fair.  Almost as if had Chile not come out late, nothing would have happened to Argentina!

On 6/28/2024 at 10:18 AM, MtlMario said:

There's no Canada - Chile topic so I'm putting it here.

Something like this COULD 😊 happen. Argentina plays their B team not too worried about Peru and lose 2-0. We play our best game of the year and beat Chile 3-0 (better goal dif.). We finish first in our group and play second place of group B. How's that for a great dream?

And before people start telling me to throw out my crystal ball I must admit this is all on me.😁

Thanks.  Really.  But we're only interested in what your crystal ball says.

35 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Well they are saying even though we are a strong, powerful, fast team we are a physical team and will use that physicality but that they will be ready for it. By trying to be just as if not more physical than we are as a way to frustrate us.

Yeah, basically the same thing as the Peru coach said, minus the "we'll bring out the brass knuckles" stuff.  I agree it's just mind games - fact is, overall we are (and have been) way less physical than some of these South American clubs like Peru and Chile.  Some of these games I've watched the play never goes past 10 seconds before another foul is called. 

At the Uruguay post-match conference, someone asked Bielsa in English about Núñez AND why does he enjoy McDonald's so much. Hilarity ensured.

Apparently when Bielsa was managing at Marseille and also Leeds, he was spotted strolling into McDonald's after matches with the same sportswear type clothes he was wearing on the touchlines.

Given the Bielsa fascination at these clubs, it created a commotion of knowing he eats food while others were fascinated to know one of the most well-known managers in world football can't resist a late night dabble.

Edited by red card