Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Re: Chile, interestingly enough, we’ve played many of the same opponents as of recent. All since WC, except Qatar which we played like the week before. 

Cuba: Chile 3-0, Canada 4-2

France: Chile 3-2, Canada 0-0

Peru: Chile 0-0, 2-0, Canada 1-0

Uruguay: Chile 1-3, Canada 0-2

Qatar: Chile 2-2, Canada 2-0

We seem to draw very similar results.

It will be interesting, Chile are older but have more players with pedigree (as compared to Peru).

We saw they will be willing to mix it up but also: do the end of their golden generation want to show a little of their skill at probably their last big tournament?

The older bit has to help us on a short turnaround in the heat. Doesn't it? Please say it does.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

13 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It will be interesting, Chile are older but have more players with pedigree (as compared to Peru).

We saw they will be willing to mix it up but also: do the end of their golden generation want to show a little of their skill at probably their last big tournament?

The older bit has to help us on a short turnaround in the heat. Doesn't it? Please say it does.

I think you're right about an advantage with the short turnaround. But Canada had a much more difficult set of conditions to recover from on the second matchday than Argentina did playing late at night in New York.

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

For all this talk about how some of our players who don’t play much are a bit rusty- Tajon namely, I feel like for Chile it’s worse, because it’s that + they’re old.  Alexis Sanchez doesn’t play much, he’s not having a strong tournament. Vargas, their striker missed a big chunk of the season, he hasn’t had a good tournament either. 

Their right side will have a 36 year old RB and likely their RW who plays in Russia, seems like he’s a super sub there. If you’re lining up against Davies and any of our winger options- Laryea, Shaffelburg, Tajon, I feel like we can make a lot happen. 

39 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Re: Chile, interestingly enough, we’ve played many of the same opponents as of recent. All since WC, except Qatar which we played like the week before. 

Cuba: Chile 3-0, Canada 4-2

France: Chile 3-2, Canada 0-0

Peru: Chile 0-0, 2-0, Canada 1-0

Uruguay: Chile 1-3, Canada 0-2

Qatar: Chile 2-2, Canada 2-0

We seem to draw very similar results.

That France match for Chile should be 2-3, not 3-2.

21 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

For all this talk about how some of our players who don’t play much are a bit rusty- Tajon namely, I feel like for Chile it’s worse, because it’s that + they’re old.  Alexis Sanchez doesn’t play much, he’s not having a strong tournament. Vargas, their striker missed a big chunk of the season, he hasn’t had a good tournament either. 

Their right side will have a 36 year old RB and likely their RW who plays in Russia, seems like he’s a super sub there. If you’re lining up against Davies and any of our winger options- Laryea, Shaffelburg, Tajon, I feel like we can make a lot happen. 

All those factors are in our favour but the biggest factor is that they need to win, so they need to generate offence with those guys and that plays into our counteracting pace advantage.

I only saw the second half of their Argentina match and knew that they needed to win but they really impressed with how well they closed down in midield and then generated some top notch saves from Martinez.  Maybe they have shot their bolt, so to speak, and might not be able to deliver on the same level Saturday night, which is also a plus for us.

Prime time Saturday, long weekend, no major sporting competition for people's attention. Big game, big consequences. Euro lead in. TSN pumping the hell out of it.

The CMNT have an opportunity to make a big impact on the Canadian sports landscape this weekend 

Edited by SpursFlu

35 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

All those factors are in our favour but the biggest factor is that they need to win, so they need to generate offence with those guys and that plays into our counteracting pace advantage.

I only saw the second half of their Argentina match and knew that they needed to win but they really impressed with how well they closed down in midield and then generated some top notch saves from Martinez.  Maybe they have shot their bolt, so to speak, and might not be able to deliver on the same level Saturday night, which is also a plus for us.

No matter how you cut it, it will be a difficult game. Chile is a good team, they have everything to lose, and probably also the added pressure of no South American team wants to get bounced from *their* tournament by Canada. Fully expect it to be our hardest game yet, but I think we can do it. 

Curious to what extent Marsch is going to park the bus. I think we’re too speedy and transition oriented to win a mud fight, but if we’re up/tied after like ‘60, does he move to a back 5? Put Bombito at DM and swap a striker for Miller? Dare I say Sam Piette hours? Stressed out just thinking about it. 

That said, with how important this is for Chile, there’s a good argument for this game being one of CANMNT’s most important games of all time, and for some of our guys, it’s the most important game they’ve ever played. Think we might see Shaffelburg die for the crest out there tomorrow night. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

38 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Prime time Saturday, long weekend, no major sporting competition for people's attention. Big game, big consequences. Euro lead in. TSN pumping the hell out of it.

Counting chickens before they hatch, if we finish runner-up in the group we play Friday, July 5, at 9PM EDT.

Edited by Mihairokov

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't know what the forecast is right now for Orlando, but when I looked yesterday I saw rain in the evening forcast, which looks like it'll cool things off to high 20s. That should be far more comfortable than a sunny +35 degrees in Kansas. 

Still supposed to feel like 35 at kick but at least the sun will be down by ~8:20 or so.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Curious to what extent Marsch is going to park the bus. I think we’re too speedy and transition oriented to win a mud fight, but if we’re up/tied after like ‘60, does he move to a back 5? Put Bombito at DM and swap a striker for Miller? Dare I say Sam Piette hours? Stressed out just thinking about it. 

Maybe these narrower Copa pitches make Oso and Sam more playable later in the game.