Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

Well 0-0 along with a fair number of yellows and lots of hard tackles is about the best result we could have hoped for.

Neither team looked great, but I am wary of games like this where two teams cancel each other out and make each other look worse than they are. I don't think either team is as poor as they looked tonight. I guess we will see.

1 minute ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Well 0-0 along with a fair number of yellows and lots of hard tackles is about the best result we could have hoped for.

Neither team looked great, but I am wary of games like this where two teams cancel each other out and make each other look worse than they are. I don't think either team is as poor as they looked tonight. I guess we will see.

This is playing out just as it did in the World Cup. Croatia and Morocco played to a scoreless draw in their opener and both ended up making the semis. Meanwhile we had an uplifting loss and the rest is history.

Need to be up for it and come out as killers.

One can watch this with the "auto-translation" sub-titles setting if one doesn't speak Spanish. They were quite impressed with Canada, although I had to admit to getting a few laughs. One also gets a sense of what the Mexican media think of their own team. One of them says that Davies is worth "three or four" Mexican national team players:

I've followed these guys for some time now and they're pretty good at coming up with odds for teams in different international tournaments. They update their odds as the tournament progresses. Just a hobby account (not mine), not connected to any gambling site. They currently have Canada at 40% to finish second in the group (higher than Chile and Peru's odds).

6 hours ago, kingvikingstad said:

While I'd agree this is more physical, playing in CONCACAF we're gamiliar with these types of antics. At the very least I think we're better acquainted than a European nation would be, for example. It's basically like playing Honduras+

It's like playing Honduras but I don't think we ever played Honduras at that pace, with so many challenges on the edge. It is like the best version of Honduras say 20 years ago, because these teams are in general better.

In Conmebol they are used to bantering with the ref, hounding him, arguing with each other, as everyone pretty well speaks Spanish. It's like kids in the schoolyard. Spanish football used to be like this but has improved immensely, I was surprised to see it again.

I know I harp about this but I do like to be able to match some of what a Spanish ref gets in his ear, however international he may be with his competent English. Don't think they've appointed our ref yet, be great to have a Jamaican or from Martinique to be honest.

It's clear we must beat Perú then can go into the Chile match with a draw enough to send us into the next round. 

The Advíncula injury could benefit us in a big way. He was coming off one and may not be ready, or if starting not fully fit. He's the captain and an experienced RB who is often sent into RW. Without him to deal with our left side combo will be far freer to attack.

Beat Perú, Big test for Marsch to keep the shape and get the goals. 

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This is playing out just as it did in the World Cup. Croatia and Morocco played to a scoreless draw in their opener and both ended up making the semis. Meanwhile we had an uplifting loss and the rest is history.

Need to be up for it and come out as killers. 

What do you suggest we use? Garottes or shivs?

Edited by Sal333

7 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

I've followed these guys for some time now and they're pretty good at coming up with odds for teams in different international tournaments. They update their odds as the tournament progresses. Just a hobby account (not mine), not connected to any gambling site. They currently have Canada at 40% to finish second in the group (higher than Chile and Peru's odds).

I’m surprised to see Peru with better odds than Chile.   Chile looks to be the much better team after last night.

8 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

I’m surprised to see Peru with better odds than Chile.   Chile looks to be the much better team after last night.

Was surprised Peru is ahead of Chile on ELO Ratings.

Edit: in the FIFA rankings as well

Edited by narduch

Odd anecdote: in our section vs. France there was a guy and his kids wearing Peru shirts, Carlos. Turns out Carlos's kids play on the same team as the kids of another Canadian I know in Barcelona, from Toronto, and he suggested they join them, dads and their kids. So we had the red and white Peru shirt with us in the supporter section.

51 minutes ago, narduch said:

Peru will be tougher than we think.

They seem to be a different team when it comes to Copa America. Even when they aren't doing as well in WCQ they seem to still perform at Copa.

They were in the 3rd place match in 2021 and finalists in 2019

Exactly defensively Peru were hard to break down but then so were Chile as evidenced in the 0-0 draw

Peru are a physical team that ran hard for 90 mins. I hope the ref calls the off the ball contact that was  habitual in the Chile/Peru game. Its one thing to go with advantage but  the ref can still go back and hand out a yellow to the offender. We aren't a physical team, so I hope we handle this aspect and don't get sucked into retaliating. The refs have to do a better job. You can bet they will not allow it to happen vs Argentina/Messi. We have our own crown jewels to protect.

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Peru are a physical team that ran hard for 90 mins. I hope the ref calls the off the ball contact that was  habitual in the Chile/Peru game. Its one thing to go with advantage but  the ref can still go back and hand out a yellow to the offender. We aren't a physical team, so I hope we handle this aspect and don't get sucked into retaliating. The refs have to do a better job. You can bet they will not allow it to happen vs Argentina/Messi. We have our own crown jewels to protect.

Yeah, I am hopeful that because Peru/Chile made CONMEBOL into a bit of a laughingstock last night (see memes on twitter, or the commentators for the game jokingly keeping track of the foul count), that the refs will be instructed to crack down harder for the next set of games