Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

That maybe true that he's born and raised in England but he also said on TSN that he would NEVER play for England.  That makes him Irish.

Well, he talks like an Englishman and sure as hell can’t spin a tale like an Irishman. 

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

That maybe true that he's born and raised in England but he also said on TSN that he would NEVER play for England.  That makes him Irish.

FWIW, I noted during one November TSN match broadcast that he was the only guy on the studio panel not wearing a poppy.

2 hours ago, red card said:

don’t enter team functions, even meals, without the seriousness in your demeanour you’d show in the most important game of your life

Not sure I agree with this one.  For many (me included), walking around all serious all day long for days before a match is counter productive.  It creates unnecessary stress and anxiety.  You need to be serious but somewhat loose and free to play well.  You can be very focused on your task and still be light hearted.  This mentality strikes me of 1980s gridiron style coaching.  Sure, for a minority it works but for a majority its against their nature.  If he is enforcing this, I suspect we will come out all tight, overplay the ball and take needless fouls.  Frankly, he needs to create an environment where people are serious but they are allowed to prepare and focus in their own manner which best prepares them for the match ahead.

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

Not sure I agree with this one.  For many (me included), walking around all serious all day long for days before a match is counter productive.  It creates unnecessary stress and anxiety.  You need to be serious but somewhat loose and free to play well.  You can be very focused on your task and still be light hearted.  This mentality strikes me of 1980s gridiron style coaching.  Sure, for a minority it works but for a majority its against their nature.  If he is enforcing this, I suspect we will come out all tight, overplay the ball and take needless fouls.  Frankly, he needs to create an environment where people are serious but they are allowed to prepare and focus in their own manner which best prepares them for the match ahead.

On the one hand I agree, but given all his additional comments on everyone being so nice and agreeable, it sounds like this is something he feels he needs to counter-balance. Almost as if it's been way too loose.

11 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

This is the most nonsensical illogical thing I've read on here in a while, and I don't have anyone on ignore.

Didn't realize that pointing out that bigger teams often send B squads to the gold cup was an attempt to sabotage the community 

So, my better half decided to switch cable providers. The hook up was scheduled for Tuesday. After a dispute about the contract agreement, it was rescheduled to Friday and we now have no cable. I have been having flashbacks to when I was an excited little kid waiting to see Evil Kenieval jump the grand canyon and my parents told me the TV was broken. I now have a DD to the Barrie viewing party. Everything worked out swimmingly!🤣

7 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I just heard TSN's James Duthie say that three quarters of the Canadian fans he's met are wearing Argentina Messi shirts.  Is that some serious scumbaggery?

I'm not surpirsed in the least. Hopefully Canada puts in a good enough performance to get those fans thinking about supporting Canada in the future.

In a fair world should be 50/50 some Mexicans folks hate argies because of the European upbringing both argies and Uruguayans obtein,  but mexican fans need to understand that only the upper class can and will buy tickets for copa América abroad.  Argentina is not an expatriate based country as others around.   Most argies reside in Argentina 

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I just heard TSN's James Duthie say that three quarters of the Canadian fans he's met are wearing Argentina Messi shirts.  Is that some serious scumbaggery?

Sounds like some ragebait to get people talking and it seems to have worked.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

The best part of Euro 2024 coverage on TSN has been all the CanMNT coverage.

Normally I turn off the TV between games.

It's ticking off the Euro followers since they're watching for the post-match takes and pre-match hype. Someone noted TSN has no German music and not much time spent showing the sights and sounds in the cities.

TSN is following US network strategy of promoting USA! USA! USA! upcoming game at every opportunity. And TSN has been 2-3x promoting Canada at Copa America more than Fox promo for Copa during their Euro coverage. Fox's promos have also been a bit more balanced between Argentina & USA matches.

Edited by red card