Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

6 hours ago, costarg said:

But the point is, you don't banish someone for asking to excuse himself from one window.  It was in the media that Arfield was dealing with family shit at the time he didn't show up for those games.

And, more importantly, Arfield was a much bigger and more important piece to CANMNT, than Ugbo is or ever will be.  Difference between the two situations is very clear.  One coach understands, supports and keeps the door open, while the other lives in extremes and absolutes, while ruling with an iron fist and toy sword.

I'm with Marsch.

I think that's the point.

A vital cog in our team opted out of World Cup Qualifiers that are critical to making the World Cup.

In this case, a bit part player opted out of a supplementary tournament that leads to nowhere.

The difference is very clear. 

42 minutes ago, shorty said:

Hey @MrsC, is there a protocol for listing places for viewing parties? 

I notice that the latest spot in Victoria since the Yates St Taphouse closed is Darcy's in Langford, which is quite a hike for those of us in town, so I've made inquiries for another potential spot, at least for me and my soccer friends.  If it's okay and it looks the Copa games are a go, I can share the details, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.  If there's a protocol that I'm not following, I can keep it offline within our scrimmage group.  Let me know.  Thanks.

There is a group of people that have been working on viewings in Victoria. My understanding is that it has been difficult to find a place in Victoria that will show games on OneSoccer, which is where the majority of games are broadcast. Finding places to show the Copa games is easier because it's on TSN, but I suspect they decided on Darcy's for the Copa games to continue building that relationship. If you think the bar you have in mind would be open to showing all Canada games even when they aren't on TSN, you could connect with @ted to discuss the possibilities of going there in the future. 

Google map of the birthplace of all Copa America players.

Canada has the only players born in Africa. Jamaica & USA have most European-born. With the relatively significant South American diaspora, it would be easy to conclude that there would be more squad players born elsewhere.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1TvKVElUjejhPnVzHlBgF9smANcJsbsk&ll=12.19623471993107%2C-55.48986524999998&z=3

22 minutes ago, Shway said:

I'm disappointed that LdF is in this squad, as I don't think he'll see the field. 

I would've preferred for him to be a leader with the U20's, as we are hoping a few players emerge out of that group quickly. 

The U20s are just playing in a friendly tournament in June.  It is the one starting July 19 that counts.

13 hours ago, Corazon said:

Waterman has to be the luckiest player in the program.  Only 3 caps and I’m fairly certain he has been an injury call up now for both the World Cup and Copa America.

Pretty sure Pantemis was an injury call up to Montreal which made him an injury call up to the World Cup- at least Waterman had to play his way on!

Our key players will have to be careful re accumulating cards. I know its great publicity to open vs Argentina but would have preferred to have played them last for several reasons but card accumulation is definitely up there. Players like Bombito, Cornelius, Kone & Staq given their positions and roles are at most risk and their replacements would give me concern if required to start. David is also not replaceable. Tajon & Laryea  could fill in for Davies, but he is another player that I would hate to see being replaced.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anyone else find it cool to see the relative quiet on the board a few days before a major match? Most posts are rather peripheral and there's hardly anything substantial. I like these moments when the tension sets in and there's little left to say. Noone has even analyzed the Argentina we're likely to face. 

Someone missed a riveting discussion about Argentina’s streetwise style… 

37 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Someone missed a riveting discussion about Argentina’s streetwise style… 

We are not as streetwise as other South American, CONCACAF or CAF TEAMS.  

You are facing an European team here but with true grit and accuracy plus a bit of flair and talent, the most of them all,  since culture and ethnicity 

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Decision made.

Let's see what it can do for him.

Unfortunately the trolls and negative Nancy's are coming out in droves on insta and X. Go make a comment and show your support. It's legitimately sad tbh. Our boys need our presence on this one💯

5 minutes ago, CCrTFC said:

Silly question but is grass being installed at the Atlanta stadium for the tournament or is it going to be turf? 

I had read yes previously.

But for the life of me can't find any new news on this.

It will probably suck because it will be laid right on top of the current surface