Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

14 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

How do you figure? Arfield is 36 now and not to mention he hasn't played for us in years. Ugbo on the other hand I don't hold this against him at all. He'll be back unlike some.

Arfield didn't help with the WC qualifying, and as a result he missed out on possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

If he's now changed his mind and wants to return to playing for Canada, AND Marsch thinks he can help, then by all means let him return now. But I don't think he's shown any inclination to return and I don't think he can help, so it doesn't really matter.

38 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

How do you figure? Arfield is 36 now and not to mention he hasn't played for us in years. Ugbo on the other hand I don't hold this against him at all. He'll be back unlike some.

I'm obviously kidding about Arfield, now. 

But the point is, you don't banish someone for asking to excuse himself from one window.  It was in the media that Arfield was dealing with family shit at the time he didn't show up for those games.

And, more importantly, Arfield was a much bigger and more important piece to CANMNT, than Ugbo is or ever will be.  Difference between the two situations is very clear.  One coach understands, supports and keeps the door open, while the other lives in extremes and absolutes, while ruling with an iron fist and toy sword.

I'm with Marsch.

Edited by costarg

19 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Arfield didn't help with the WC qualifying, and as a result he missed out on possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

If he's now changed his mind and wants to return to playing for Canada, AND Marsch thinks he can help, then by all means let him return now. But I don't think he's shown any inclination to return and I don't think he can help, so it doesn't really matter.

Exactly my point didn't help at all during World Cup qualifying for Qatar and wasn't even at Qatar. He didn't help us to qualify for Copa America either. Plus if he were interested in coming back, don't you think he would've done it by now

2 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Exactly my point didn't help at all during World Cup qualifying for Qatar and wasn't even at Qatar. He didn't help us to qualify for Copa America either. Plus if he were interested in coming back, don't you think he would've done it by now

And he's not at the Copa.  But if he suddenly wanted to be part of 2026, well to me we're at the start of a new cycle.  I wouldn't take him because I don't think he can contribute that much anymore.  But that would be up to Marsch.  But yeah, I think it's irrelevant.  I don't think he's interested, which suits all parties.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Maybe he's got a lot to sort out on the club side. His parent club got relegated to 3rd tier in France and his current club survived relegation from the Championship, but may not be able to afford to bring him back. He's British as well and hasn't played at "home" in a few seasons now, so maybe some loose ends need to be tied up from a personal standpoint, especially if it's not clear if he'll return to the UK? Who knows, but I am not worried about it.

Also gives someone like Bair an opportunity and we are stacked at forward so it's good to remove a bit of the logjam. We will see him again.

Agreed.  It's just refreshing to see a coach with flexibility and an open mind.  Fingers crossed for Ugbo, it's been a bumpy journey.

Just saw the Waterman news. Waterman over Zator!

this has me signing in and commenting for first time in long-ass time... was starting to get onside with Marsch but now! sooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed and yes Waterman played middle university years before Wheeldon/PDL which is scary - his consistency at CB has been rock bottom this season - why would he be any better in any other position unplayed for years????? (and yes, Cornelius played forward in youth years before Serbia but his consistency is far higher and his total skill set class above Waterman)

ugh

12 minutes ago, wallflower said:

this has me signing in and commenting for first time in long-ass time... was starting to get onside with Marsch but now! sooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed and yes Waterman played middle university years before Wheeldon/PDL which is scary - his consistency at CB has been rock bottom this season - why would he be any better in any other position unplayed for years????? (and yes, Cornelius played forward in youth years before Serbia but his consistency is far higher and his total skill set class above Waterman)

ugh

Zator did NOT look good in the friendlies. 

12 minutes ago, wallflower said:

ugh

Don't like Waterman either, as you say he's been inconsistent this year. He's not particularly reliable playing out the back though his passing is his standout attribute. He'll make random unforced errors, give the ball away under low pressure. And then his positioning and reading are sometimes off, go watch his challenge against Garcia early in the first half when we played Trinidad. For a guy with limited athleticism, we cannot afford those mistakes. Neither him or Zator are ideal. 

6 minutes ago, phresh said:

Don't like Waterman either, as you say he's been inconsistent this year. He's not particularly reliable playing out the back though his passing is his standout attribute. He'll make random unforced errors, give the ball away under low pressure. And then his positioning and reading are sometimes off, go watch his challenge against Garcia early in the first half when we played Trinidad. For a guy with limited athleticism, we cannot afford those mistakes. Neither him or Zator are ideal. 

It's definitely not ideal but I'd still take him in an emergency over LDF who's barely played pro minutes 

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Zator did NOT look good in the friendlies. 

I agree that he seemed to struggle with the level of the France match. Like Heibert, he's another one who I don't think we can depend upon against the best teams. Against teams like Peru and Chile, I suspect Heibert could be steady and hang. Zator I would like to say the same, but I am not convinced. It's moot anyhow as he's been dropped. 

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree that he seemed to struggle with the level of the France match. Like Heibert, he's another one who I don't think we can depend upon against the best teams. Against teams like Peru and Chile, I suspect Heibert could be steady and hang. Zator I would like to say the same, but I am not convinced. It's moot anyhow as he's been dropped. 

It's probably more about the opposing teams winger speed than anything. Against Coman... Heibert looked slow but against other teams that may not be as big an issue.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

As a fan I want more information, not less. Give it to me straight, you know? If he is declining a call up for personal matters, then it is what it is. Life happens. I'd rather be given that information than simply saying he's out, without any context.

Yes but it might not be fully accurate coming from Jesse, and expressed that way. After all, isn't it really a mutual decision, they agree to let him go and he goes? Otherwise he's refusing a call-up and Canada could perfectly well complain about it. And then he's refused Canada, which sets a precedent we saw with Arfield, and is something Theo apparently did and could still be paying for. They refuse us, we find it easier to ignore them, it does not create a better situation for either.

If Iké and Jesse agree that he can bow out because his loan and club situation is a mess and he's not likely to play much, then just say that he's been dropped and don't put the entire onus on the player. It makes him look bad when we don't know if he'd rather hang out with his friends playing mahjong on some beach in Bali, or he has a child whose just been diagnosed with something terrible. 

I'm somewhat biased against Waterman as it seems every CF game I've seen he ends up making an ass of himself...though I realize he does add to our thin back line. Good for him, hope he's the better for it. I think I'm probably the only one who would have liked to see Jayden get a call. He's an attacking player yes, but I just really enjoy his creativity and flair and feel he could bring something different into this squad...though it's likely he would never see the pitch.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Especially considering he didn't play vs France

Hey @MrsC, is there a protocol for listing places for viewing parties? 

I notice that the latest spot in Victoria since the Yates St Taphouse closed is Darcy's in Langford, which is quite a hike for those of us in town, so I've made inquiries for another potential spot, at least for me and my soccer friends.  If it's okay and it looks the Copa games are a go, I can share the details, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.  If there's a protocol that I'm not following, I can keep it offline within our scrimmage group.  Let me know.  Thanks.