Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Not much. He initially cracked the team in a bit of a LB role, but was quickly moved in field. I don't think LB is the role they'd be calling him in for, though if they're going with more of a LWB it might work.

Honestly, I would not want him in a defensive role right now. He simply hasn't been sharp enough in that area. If they're chasing the game late, I could see them bringing him on. But if they're ahead and/or trying to hold the score as is, I wouldn't want him on the pitch right now.

100% agreed.

11 minutes ago, Floortom said:

xGOT was 1.57 (US) to 1.05 (Brazil)

I have enough on my hands evaluating Canada's xGOT in a positive light to worry about evaluating the US's xGOT in a negative light.  And so on.  The person who egged you on should simply find another forum to triumph USMNT triumphs, Gods knows they also need the help.

1 hour ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

You didn’t watch the game either then. Turner wasn’t standing on his head making saves. Yes, Brazil took a lot of shots. The quality of shots matters though. The US created the better chances, especially in the second half. 1.63 is not a high xG off 25 shots. If I could find the xGot i guarantee you it would be very even. I don’t care about possession. Flip the flags and throw El Salvador or Panama in there I’ve seen that game plenty of times. Well the US had 3 over a 7. That doesn’t really matter though I’d like you to find 1 Brazilian that thinks Vini was worthy of his rating. Endrick showed more in his 25 minutes than Vini did in 90.

Edit- ESPN? C’mon. 

A footie fan after my own heart: let's not argue over fotmob or xG, let's watch football and call it as we see it.

What is sad is that not only fans don't want to do it, it makes them panic when they see anyone giving a confident opinion about what they saw on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

You didn’t watch the game either then. Turner wasn’t standing on his head making saves. Yes, Brazil took a lot of shots. The quality of shots matters though. The US created the better chances, especially in the second half. 1.63 is not a high xG off 25 shots. If I could find the xGot i guarantee you it would be very even. I don’t care about possession. Flip the flags and throw El Salvador or Panama in there I’ve seen that game plenty of times. Well the US had 3 over a 7. That doesn’t really matter though I’d like you to find 1 Brazilian that thinks Vini was worthy of his rating. Endrick showed more in his 25 minutes than Vini did in 90.

Edit- ESPN? C’mon. 

I watched the game, and the xg of roughly 2 for Brazil and roughly 1 for the US passed the eye test for me. Most likely outcome was probably 2-1 Brazil, but their finishing (as you noted) was poor.  The US definitely did not create better chances overall on the match, although I thought they played well for the most part. 

Brazil was carving up the US defense fairly often in the first half until the US fell back into a defensive posture.

Like France, I don't think Brazil was going at 100%, but still I saw some signs that would be worrying to me if I was a Brazil fan, especially after the US fell back. With the ball against the packed US defense, they didn't seem to have a lot of ideas and their perimeter shooting was woeful. Without the ball, they did press, but their press seemed disjointed without proper teamwork/intensity to make it effective. Have seen much better press execution in friendlies in recent days from Argentina and the Netherlands.

And with games against Paraguay and Costa Rica in the Copa, Brazil are going to see some stacked defences, so we'll see if they do a better job breaking them down than they did vs. the US (who, to their credit, I thought were well disciplined and organized in their low block, and fairly effective on counter in both halves).

As an aside, one bad thing about the US hosting games, is it means US Soccer posts the official highlights and they are the world's worst highlight makers. They managed to show 1 of Brazil's 24 shots in their highlights for the game yesterday (the goal), but even that was better when they posted the highlights for US 1 Canada 1 in World Cup qualifying and didn't even include Canada's goal in the highlights.

OK, a 2nd aside, it was a nice play the US ran for the free kick goal, but why use that in a friendly?

I’d be surprised if Tani was let go. I’d like to think they want to cap him and negate any possibility of him joining Nigeria.

If we’re done heading into the Chile game for example, you wanna see him hit the field or maybe sooner depending on the form of others. Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself but let’s say he explodes as a player. Why risk it? That’s how I see it anyway 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

With 23 outfielders on the final squad, there's going to be players that will not see the field. I would prefer if they were younger players with upside like JRR & AA. Being on the bench or close to it would be good prep for 2026.

Its 26!

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, EJsens1 said:

I’d be surprised if Tani was let go. I’d like to think they want to cap him and negate any possibility of him joining Nigeria.

If we’re done heading into the Chile game for example, you wanna see him hit the field or maybe sooner depending on the form of others. Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself but let’s say he explodes as a player. Why risk it? That’s how I see it anyway 

IIRC, a player who takes the field for a single minute in a continental championship match (such as Copa or the Gold Cup) is permanently cap tied. As you suggest, it would be worthwhile bringing him on as a sub in the late stages of a match.

17 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

IIRC, a player who takes the field for a single minute in a continental championship match (such as Copa or the Gold Cup) is permanently cap tied. As you suggest, it would be worthwhile bringing him on as a sub in the late stages of a match.

Does the 'special' Copa America count as a cap-tying appearance for CONCACAF nations, though?

24 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Does the 'special' Copa America count as a cap-tying appearance for CONCACAF nations, though?

Yeah, good question. No idea about that. I can see CONCACAF CONCACAFing us and saying no.

37 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

17 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If we are talking about Tani still, it doesn't matter, he's 24, any non-friendly cap-ties him.  

ie. "was fielded in a match in an official competition at “A” international level"

I think you might be thinking of u21s who can be cap-tied in 1 game if they

"participated in any kind of football at “A” international level in the final tournament of the FIFA World Cup or a final tournament of a confederation competition."

instead of having to play 4 games 

5 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

I was thinking we'd let Tani go, also because Minnesota needs him and did us a favour by letting him be at the friendlies. 

But maybe they'll let Ugbo go because he has loan stuff to sort out. 

Would it be cynical to keep Tani and let Ike go, considering it'd look like cap tying is the priority?

This month we have the 24 team Euro and the 16 team Copa.

Out of the 40 teams playing in the two tournaments, 31 are in the top 40 per ELO ratings globally.

Teams in the ELO top 40 not playing during the 'near World Cup in two parts' in the coming month:

16 Japan

20 Iran

25 Russia

27 Australia

27 Morocco

30 Senegal

35 Greece

36 South Korea

37 Norway

Teams in the Euro/Copa that aren't in the top 40 ELO ratings:

41 Panama

42 Paraguay

47 Slovakia

48 Georgia

50 Romania

52 Jamaica

58 Albania

59 Costa Rica

62 Bolivia

For reference, Canada's group is:

1 Argentina

34 Peru

39 Chile

40 Canada

I would say our group is not ideal in terms of getting a W, but it is near ideal in setting up 3 very interesting matchups for us. Argentina because, hey, it is Argentina, and Peru and Chile because they are two teams we almost never play against that should be near our level of play, and that have quite different styles of play.

It doesn't matter as much as normal due to being a host in 2026, but long term, getting our (FIFA, not ELO obviously) rating higher is so important to ensure we are a higher seed and get an easier draw for everything as a result. We see yet again with the Copa how the US and Mexico get an easier path due to their higher rating.

Edited by 74 Whitecap

10 hours ago, 74 Whitecap said:

It doesn't matter as much as normal due to being a host in 2026, but long term, getting our (FIFA, not ELO obviously) rating higher is so important to ensure we are a higher seed and get an easier draw for everything as a result. We see yet again with the Copa how the US and Mexico get an easier path due to their higher rating.

I don't think the ratings mattered so much for the seeding here. Mexico is ranked below Uruguay. For the 2016 edition, Mexico and the US were ranked below 4 other teams but still put in pot 1.

In a general sense, it will still matter for Canada of course.